Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ms Palin's bookery

Let's spend a few moments browsing the list of books Mayor Sarah Palin
tried to get town librarian Mary Ellen Baker to ban in the lovely,
all-American town of Wasilla, Alaska . When Baker refused to remove the
books from the shelves, Palin threatened to fire her. The story was
reported in Time Magazine and the list comes from the librarian.net website.

I'm sure you'll find your own personal favorites among the
classics Palin wanted to protect the good people of Wasilla from, but
the ones that jumped out at me were the four Stephen King novels (way to
go Stephen, Joh n Steinbeck only got three titles on the list), that
notorious piece of communist pornography "My Friend Flicka," the usual
assortment of Harry Potter books, works by Shakespeare, Walt Whitman,
Kurt Vonnegut, Mark Twain (always fun to see those two names together),
Arthur Miller, and Aristophanes, as well as "Our Bodies, Ourselves"
(insert your own Bristol Palin joke here), and the infamous one-two
punch of depravity: "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Little Red Riding
Hood." But the cherry on the sundae, the topper, is Sarah Palin's
passionate, religious mission to clear the shelves of the Wasilia Public
Library of that ultimate evil tome: "Webster's Ninth New Collegiate
Dictionary." That's the one with "equality," "free speech" and
"justice" in it.

Go over to your book case and take down one of the books
you'll find on the list (I know you've got a couple) and give it a read
in honor of the founding fathers. Then tell me I'm not the only voter
who doesn't want this woman within thirty feet of the United States
Constitution.

Sarah Palin's Book Club

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L?Engle
Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
Blubber by Judy Blume
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Canterbury Tales by Chaucer
Carrie by Stephen King
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Christine by Stephen King
Confessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Cujo by Stephen King
Curses, Hexes, and Spells by Daniel Cohen
Daddy?s Roommate by Michael Willhoite
Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Peck
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
Decameron by Boccaccio
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Fallen Angels by Walter Myers
Fanny Hill (Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure) by John Cleland
Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes
Forever by Judy Blume
Grendel by John Champlin Gardner
Halloween ABC by Eve Merriam
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer?s Stone by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter20and the Prizoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Have to Go by Robert Munsch
Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman
How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Impressions edited by Jack Booth
In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
It's Okay if You Don't Love Me by Norma Klein
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
Little Red Riding Hood by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Love is One of the Choices by Norma Klein
Lysistrata by Aristophanes
More Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and
Christopher Collier
My House by Nikki Giovanni
My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara
Night Chills by Dean Koontz
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer
One Day in The Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander
Solzhenitsyn
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Ordinary People by Judith Guest
Our Bodies, Ourselves by Boston Women's Health Collective
Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl
Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones by Alvin
Schwartz
Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Separate Peace by John Knowles
Silas Marner by George Eliot
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
The ******* by John Jakes
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The Devil's Alternative by Frederick Forsyth
The Figure in the Shadows by John Bellairs
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Snyder
The Learnin g Tree by Gordon Parks
The Living Bible by William C. Bower
The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare
The New Teenage Body Book by Kathy McCoy and Charles Wibbelsman
The Pigman by Paul Zindel
The Seduction of Peter S. by Lawrence Sanders
The Shining by Stephen King
The Witches by Roald Dahl
The Witches of Worm by Zilpha Snyder
Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary by the
Merriam-Webster Editorial Staff
Witches, Pumpkins, and Grinning Ghosts: The Story of the
Halloween Symbols by Edna Barth

See the following:

http://www.librarian.net/stax/2366/s...in-vp-nominee/
http://www.time.com/time/politics/artic le/0,8599,1837918,00.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 8, 3:36*pm, jo4hn wrote:
[...]

http://www.librarian.net/stax/2366/s...837918,00.html

pssssst.. if anybody wants a copy of any of these, they're for sale in
Canada... e-mail me and I'll hook you up. I'll send it in a plain
brown wrapper so your fundy nutbar neighbour won't see it and he won't
taser you.... pass it on... freedom is coming...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote in message
m...
Let's spend a few moments browsing the list of books Mayor Sarah Palin
tried to get town librarian Mary Ellen Baker to ban in the lovely,
all-American town of Wasilla, Alaska . When Baker refused to remove the
books from the shelves, Palin threatened to fire her. The story was
reported in Time Magazine and the list comes from the librarian.net
website.

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Yep, this one screwed me up for years.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: Ms Palin's bookery

jo4hn wrote:
[...]

This is OT, please mark it as such.

If everything you note here is 100% true, she and McCain are still
a miles better choice than Obama and Biden. I'd vote for W for
reelection a third term before I'd vote for those two Leninists.
(And I can't stand the Republican party.)

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking the TRUTH matters in a political
discussion, but this story is unverifiable and almost certainly
false.

"This is not a true tale, but who needs truth if it's dull?"
- Mason Williams

On Sep 8, 2:36*pm, jo4hn wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Not that I'd vote for the ticket but did you bother to read any of your
own link? NOTE the last paragraph witht he high-lighted word "note."
Fair is fair (not that right-wingers care anything about playing fair).

Dave in Houston

Sarah Palin, VP nominee
Posted in hi | Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008 | Trackback
Tags: banningbooks, books, libraries, sarahpalin

I try to keep "who to vote for" politics pretty well off of this blog and
prefer to discuss politics in general and better and worse strategies for
promoting libraries in whatever political climate we happen to be in. People
acutely interested in high level politics in the US who also work in
libraries may be interested in this Time magazine article about Sarah Palin.
I was very interested in this paragraph.

[Former Wasilla mayor] Stein says that as mayor, Palin continued to inject
religious beliefs into her policy at times. "She asked the library how she
could go about banning books," he says, because some voters thought they had
inappropriate language in them. "The librarian was aghast." The librarian,
Mary Ellen Baker, couldn't be reached for comment, but news reports from the
time show that Palin had threatened to fire her for not giving "full
support" to the mayor.
Usually I'm just happy to see libraries even mentioned in national level
politics, but not like this. Mary Ellen Baker resigned from her library
director job in 1999.

note: there's some buzz being generated that says that this post contains a
comment that lists the books that Palin supposedly wanted banned. The list
is here, but there appears to be no truth to the claim made by the
commenter, and no further documentation or support for this has turned up.

http://www.librarian.net/stax/2366/s...in-vp-nominee/
http://www.time.com/time/politics/artic le/0,8599,1837918,00.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 12:36:16 -0700, jo4hn
wrote:

Your kidding right? This is a troll right?

note: there’s some buzz being generated that says that this post
contains a comment that lists the books that Palin supposedly wanted
banned. The list is here, but there appears to be no truth to the
claim made by the commenter, and no further documentation or support
for this has turned up.

.......The librarian, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn’t be reached for
comment, but news reports from the time (not provided or referenced of
course) show that Palin had threatened to fire her for not giving
“full support” to the mayor.

Frank

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...
jo4hn wrote:
[...]

We should assign a single thread where everyone puts their
political stuff. That way, we can bozo list it with one
entry.

S.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...
[...]

[snip long list]

I've read maybe a quarter of these, really falling behind. It's an
inspiration. I should really try to read the rest of them by election
day.

Silas Marner? We did that in 7th grade, IIRC. Some of the books,
while completely inoffensive, I can see why a religious fundamentalist
idiot would be against, but Silas Marner? Are they against people
changing for the better and caring for those less fortunate?

And why didn't Nathanial Hawthorne or Herman Melville make the list?

UNFAIR!!

--
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

samson wrote:
SNIP

http://www.librarian.net/stax/2366/s...in-vp-nominee/
http://www.time.com/time/politics/artic le/0,8599,1837918,00.html

This is OT, please mark it as such.

We should assign a single thread where everyone puts their
political stuff. That way, we can bozo list it with one
entry.

S.

Naw, I don't mind the political stuff (or any other non-WWing
stuff for that matter) so long as it is so marked. The whole
point of "OT" is so you can filter on *that* if you like ...
Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Posted to rec.woodworking

samson wrote:
In article ,
says...
jo4hn wrote:
[...]

Should be marked as B.S.:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/palin/bannedbooks.asp

MikeB
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

See the following:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/palin/bannedbooks.asp

"John Santos" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:
Let's spend a few moments browsing the list of books Mayor Sarah
Palin
tried to get town librarian Mary Ellen Baker to ban in the lovely,

OK, I am hereby killfiling all posts to this newsgroup that containt
the words "Palin", "Obama", and/or "McCain". If anybody posts one
that relates to the woodworking prowess of any of those worthies,
please be kind enough to let me know.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Apparently you got suckered into believing this already "Urban Legend"

Yuh think the left side started it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote:

Then tell me I'm not the only voter who doesn't want this woman
within thirty feet of the United States Constitution.

You're not, but since you are in California, not to worry.

Not even a revolution will keep California from voting anything but
Democratic this election cycle, so you will have done your part to
express your views..

I have no problem with those people wishing to have ultra conservative
religious views.

Think it is called religious freedom.

OTOH, I have a major problem with anyone attempting to inject any
religious position into the political situation.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
jo4hn wrote:
Let's spend a few moments browsing the list of books Mayor Sarah
Palin
tried to get town librarian Mary Ellen Baker to ban in the lovely,

OK, I am hereby killfiling all posts to this newsgroup that containt
the words "Palin", "Obama", and/or "McCain". If anybody posts one
that relates to the woodworking prowess of any of those worthies,
please be kind enough to let me know.

--John

Damnit, I was just going to post something about a new horsehead bookend I
made called Obama Palin McCain. It is quite a striking design. Very
conservative wood tones with very liberal use of curves. There does that
count?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
jo4hn wrote:
Let's spend a few moments browsing the list of books Mayor Sarah
Palin
tried to get town librarian Mary Ellen Baker to ban in the lovely,

OK, I am hereby killfiling all posts to this newsgroup that containt
the words "Palin", "Obama", and/or "McCain". If anybody posts one
that relates to the woodworking prowess of any of those worthies,
please be kind enough to let me know.

--John

Damnit, I was just going to post something about a new horsehead bookend I
made called Obama Palin McCain. It is quite a striking design. Very
conservative wood tones with very liberal use of curves. There does that
count?

You missed Biden.
;-)
--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Let's spend a few moments browsing the list of books Mayor Sarah Palin
tried to get town librarian Mary Ellen Baker to ban in the lovely,
all-American town of Wasilla, Alaska . When Baker refused to remove the
books from the shelves, Palin threatened to fire her. The story was
reported in Time Magazine and the list comes from the librarian.net website.

I'm pretty sure she's a practicing Muslim too.

Sheesh....

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

OK, I am hereby killfiling all posts to this newsgroup that containt
the words "Palin", "Obama", and/or "McCain".

Meat axe mode.

Your loss.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 8, 6:58*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Apparently you got suckered into believing this already "Urban Legend"

Yuh think the left side started it?

It isn't the message that surprised me, Leon. It was the messenger,
John. Worse, no OT. Maybe the only thing to do with wood was the
organ this crap came from..

Or maybe this is John's first attempt at a good troll. If so, he
should find a subject that is at least a little harder to find out is
an outright lie.

I think we need to come up with some kind of shorthand code for posts
when the is a post that contains such hysterical, paranoid lefty
shrieking from the tin hat squad that just seems to haul in the
catfish. That way bandwidth wouldn't be wasted reading tripe like
this. In fact, we could use that shorthand for just about any post
that didn't have something to do with woodworking.

I dunno... just throwing out some ideas here, how about marking the
post "OT"
or something like that? It could stand for Off Topic.

As for the content, I guess it speaks for itself. I can just see a big
blue catfishes now.... mouth working away, ready to swallow
anything...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"jo4hn" wrote:

Then tell me I'm not the only voter who doesn't want this woman
within thirty feet of the United States Constitution.

You're not, but since you are in California, not to worry.

Not even a revolution will keep California from voting anything but
Democratic this election cycle, so you will have done your part to
express your views..

I have no problem with those people wishing to have ultra conservative
religious views.

Think it is called religious freedom.

OTOH, I have a major problem with anyone attempting to inject any
religious position into the political situation.

Lew

Then you would have seriously objected to both John and Sam Adams and
host of other Floundering Fathers. Even the least religious of the
bunch (Jefferson, Paine, and Franklin leap to mind) made some general
gesture to a creating God from which all rights flowed.

The protections in the Constitution regarding religion are there to
protect *religion* (from the government). They are not there to
protect the government from any religious influence. That bit of
intellectual sleight-of-hand was invented in the early 20th century by
so-called "progressives" (who are no such thing).

I don't want to live in a theocracy, but I'm far more worried about
being overtaken by the Leninists on the left (like Obama) than I am
about a person of deep personal faith occupying office...

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn writes:

Let's spend a few moments browsing the list of books Mayor Sarah Palin
tried to get town librarian Mary Ellen Baker to ban in the lovely,
all-American town of Wasilla, Alaska .

Incorrect.

The list of books you gave came from

http://www.adlerbooks.com/banned.html

Which has nothing to do with Palin.

See the following:

http://www.librarian.net/stax/2366/s...in-vp-nominee/

Yes. Indeed. Did you see the part that said:
Quote:
-----------------------------------
# dw Says:
September 3rd, 2008 at 10:44

The source of the list appears to be this site, which I got to from
this site, which I found by googling the very first titles on the list
as a single search term (A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess A
Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine LEngle).

This list obviously has nothing to do with Palin whatsoever.
# Ryan Says:
September 3rd, 2008 at 10:53

The list of banned books is inaccurate. Several of the titles listed
above, most notably the Harry Potter books, had not been published yet
in 1996 when Sarah Palin attempted to fire the librarian.
-----------------------------------

You know, BOTH vocal liberals and conservatives tend to fire away
without researching the truth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 8, 8:21*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
jo4hn wrote:
Let's spend a few moments browsing the list of books Mayor Sarah
Palin
tried to get town librarian Mary Ellen Baker to ban in the lovely,

OK, I am hereby killfiling all posts to this newsgroup that containt
the words "Palin", "Obama", and/or "McCain". *If anybody posts one
that relates to the woodworking prowess of any of those worthies,
please be kind enough to let me know.

--John

Damnit, I was just going to post something about a new horsehead bookend I
made called Obama Palin McCain. *It is quite a striking design. *Very
conservative wood tones with very liberal use of curves. *There does that
count?

You missed Biden.
;-)
--
Froz...

Bad Froz!! *we have to whisper because there are some people here who
seem to think that a newsgroup, ANY news group is for Americans
only...*
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 8, 8:45*pm, "
wrote:
On Sep 8, 6:58*pm, "Leon" wrote:

[...]

Ahh yes.. those wonderful Flipper-like tailwalks...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 14:57:04 -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

If everything you note here is 100% true, she and McCain are still
a miles better choice than Obama and Biden. I'd vote for W for
reelection a third term before I'd vote for those two Leninists.
(And I can't stand the Republican party.)

Nice to see you reiterating your middle of the road stance, Tim :-).

I wonder if equating someone to Marx, Lenin, et al, should rate the
same automatic disqualification as Hitler equates do?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 13:05:39 -0700, tom_murphy wrote:

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking the TRUTH matters in a political
discussion, but this story is unverifiable and almost certainly
false.

The list of books is certainly false, but apparently Ms Palin did try to
get some books removed from the library and threatened to fire the
librarian when she didn't cooperate.

Don't want no book burner in no White House!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 14:57:04 -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

If everything you note here is 100% true, she and McCain are still
a miles better choice than Obama and Biden. I'd vote for W for
reelection a third term before I'd vote for those two Leninists.
(And I can't stand the Republican party.)

Nice to see you reiterating your middle of the road stance, Tim :-).

Not remotely middle-of-the-road - I prefer the Constitution as written.

I wonder if equating someone to Marx, Lenin, et al, should rate the
same automatic disqualification as Hitler equates do?

It was not ad hominem. Obama has made clear the deep influence his
mother had upon him. She was very much in the Marx/Lenin camp.
Moreover, his wealth redistribution schemes are a page out of the
same hymnbook. He appears to be a fine father and devoted husband.
He appears to be a generally decent person and a brilliant orator.
He has really bad ideas ... ideas so bad, he should never see the
inside of the White House except as a tour visitor.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 13:05:39 -0700, tom_murphy wrote:

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking the TRUTH matters in a political
discussion, but this story is unverifiable and almost certainly
false.

The list of books is certainly false, but apparently Ms Palin did try to
get some books removed from the library and threatened to fire the
librarian when she didn't cooperate.

Don't want no book burner in no White House!

Since I am forced - by law - to pay for the libraries in my locale',
there are several I'd like to see banned for lack of any evident
merit: Anything by Michael Moore, Bill Maher, Al Gore, Sean Hannity,
and Lyndon LaRouche. I hate paying for their drivel.

You can easily remove my ability to influence the content of the
library by having the government ceasing make me pay for it. It's real
simple - when you accept the government dollar (un-Constitutionally,
in this case) you also accept the scrutiny of *all* the people who pay
for it. That's why the government has no business in the arts,
schools, and so forth: You cannot meet the expectations of the diverse
set of ideas held by those who pay for it. The purpose of government
is to maintain an environment of freedom wherein each of us is free to
express our ideas and support those who share our views as we see fit.
It is flatly immoral to make any of us pay for ideas with the force
of government which we find offensive, corrosive, or flatly wrong.
Freedom of speech is fundamentally abrogated when we make people
support (again, by government force) ideas with which they do not
agree. It is just as bad as banning ideas, books, movies, and art.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:

Damnit, I was just going to post something about a new horsehead bookend I
made called Obama Palin McCain. It is quite a striking design. Very
conservative wood tones with very liberal use of curves. There does that
count?

Wrong end of the horse...

--
Regards,

Join the UseNet Improvement Project: killfile Google Groups.
http://www.improve-usenet.org

Download Nfilter at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 20:16:51 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 13:05:39 -0700, tom_murphy wrote:

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking the TRUTH matters in a political
discussion, but this story is unverifiable and almost certainly
false.

The list of books is certainly false, but apparently Ms Palin did try to
get some books removed from the library and threatened to fire the
librarian when she didn't cooperate.

And that conclusion comes from......

Don't want no book burner in no White House!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote in
news
If everything you note here is 100% true, she and McCain are still
a miles better choice than Obama and Biden. I'd vote for W for
reelection a third term before I'd vote for those two Leninists.
(And I can't stand the Republican party.)

Nice to see you reiterating your middle of the road stance, Tim :-).

I wonder if equating someone to Marx, Lenin, et al, should rate the
same automatic disqualification as Hitler equates do?

Larry,

Never argue with the ignorant. They'll drag you down to their level, and
then beat you on experience.

Scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Every second of this campaign not spent talking about the Republican
Party's record, and John McCain's role in that record, is a victory
for John McCain.

Her critics like to say that Palin hasn't accomplished anything.

In the space of ten days she's succeeded in distracting the entire
country from Bush's record -- and McCain's complicity in it.

My friends, that's accomplishment we can believe in.

Keep your eye on the ball.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't want to live in a theocracy, but I'm far more worried about
being overtaken by the Leninists on the left (like Obama) than I am
about a person of deep personal faith occupying office...

I, for one, am deeply concerned about a (any) President using the office
to impose, and thus enforce, by Presidential decree and administrative
action the beliefs and theology of a specific denomination. The creation
of an ipso-facto state religion.

There is a line, and I have no concept where that line is, that should a
President cross it, would lead to claims the President has violated his
oath of office by actions which are blatantly and defiantly opposed the
1st amendment. In such a situation, after Supreme Court review, could
likely give cause to the Congress to start Impeachment processes.

For example: If the President, by decree, refuses to provide federal
funds to any public school districts which will not teach creationism.

or If the President, by administrative decree, halts all medicare
reimbursements to any hospital that has extended admission privileges or
staff position to any Doctor who performs abortions.

The Democratic Party does not claim the either Obama or Bidden to be
above the Constitution. Obama will enforce the Constitution, and the
laws authorized and enacted by Congress as interpreted by the Federal
Courts.

McBush and Palin scare me (down to my toes) when they give speeches
proclaiming their desire to impose a minor religious sect belief system
upon this nation by their actions (if elected.) Even if those actions
are in opposition, or in violation, of current statues or decisions from
the Federal Court(s) system.

BTW: I completely, and totally reject any and all arguments that the
constitution's first amendment does not protect the Federal Government
from any specific religious denomination taking control.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:55:36 -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Since I am forced - by law - to pay for the libraries in my locale',
there are several I'd like to see banned for lack of any evident
merit: Anything by Michael Moore, Bill Maher, Al Gore, Sean Hannity,
and Lyndon LaRouche. I hate paying for their drivel.

You can easily remove my ability to influence the content of the
library by having the government ceasing make me pay for it.

Since I consider the public library one of Ben Franklin's best ideas, I'm
happy to go along with their inclusion of books I don't agree with.
Nobody makes me read them, although I sometimes do just to get a different
point of view.

That seems to me to be a major difference between the neocons and
traditional conservatives. The neocons seem to want all government
supported organizations to espouse ONLY the neocon view of the world.
Of course, the PC branch of liberalism is just as bad.

Traditional conservatives and liberals believe in letting all points of
view compete. Since many people can't afford to buy every interesting
book that comes out, the public library serves as their access.

Now if you'd like to ban that ridiculous "left behind" series, I might
support that proposal - just kidding :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil Again wrote:
I don't want to live in a theocracy, but I'm far more worried about
being overtaken by the Leninists on the left (like Obama) than I am
about a person of deep personal faith occupying office...

I, for one, am deeply concerned about a (any) President using the office
to impose, and thus enforce, by Presidential decree and administrative
action the beliefs and theology of a specific denomination. The creation
of an ipso-facto state religion.

There is not now, nor has there ever been any serious risk of that in
the US. It is a red herring thrown out by the lifestyle liberals and
various anti-religionists. If anything, American culture and government
today are *less* religious than at any time in our history.

There is a line, and I have no concept where that line is, that should a
President cross it, would lead to claims the President has violated his
oath of office by actions which are blatantly and defiantly opposed the
1st amendment. In such a situation, after Supreme Court review, could
likely give cause to the Congress to start Impeachment processes.

For example: If the President, by decree, refuses to provide federal
funds to any public school districts which will not teach creationism.

You're focused on the symptoms, not the disease. There is no
Constitutionally enumerated power for the Federal government to
fund *any* education. Doing so is an arrogation of power to
the Feds that properly belongs in the hands of "the people and the
states." If you're all that worried about an overweening religious
president, all you have to do is demand that the Federal government
be trimmed back to its proper and Constitutionally limited roles -
there won't be enough there for religion to make much of a difference
one way or another.

or If the President, by administrative decree, halts all medicare
reimbursements to any hospital that has extended admission privileges or
staff position to any Doctor who performs abortions.

More examples of Government Gone Wild. Oh, and BTW, as a person
of pretty deep principle and conviction on the matter, you and
yours are violating *my* civil rights when you make me pay for
your infanticide.

The Democratic Party does not claim the either Obama or Bidden to be
above the Constitution. Obama will enforce the Constitution, and the
laws authorized and enacted by Congress as interpreted by the Federal
Courts.

No he won't. He will expand social entitlement spending, wealth
redistirbution, and generally ignore the limits of power explicit
in the doctrine of enumerated powers. If it makes you feel better,
so will McCain. But Obama is almost overtly Leninist in his
hatred of wealth, achievement, and success.

McBush and Palin scare me (down to my toes) when they give speeches
proclaiming their desire to impose a minor religious sect belief system

Please cite where they have done so. (BTW, Judeo-Christianity, in its
various expressions is hardly a "minor" viewpoint.)

upon this nation by their actions (if elected.) Even if those actions
are in opposition, or in violation, of current statues or decisions from
the Federal Court(s) system.

Nothwithstanding the left hallucinations to the contrary, the courts
are not supposed to be deciding what the law is. They are supposed to be
checking to make sure that laws in question are *Constitutional*.
Since neither the left nor right give a rats ass about the Consitution any
more, today's politics are simply a tug-of-war over whose perversions of
law will be enforced for the next 4 to 8 years.

BTW: I completely, and totally reject any and all arguments that the
constitution's first amendment does not protect the Federal Government
from any specific religious denomination taking control.

You're free to reject what you like, you are not free to invent your
own facts.

It is simple, plain, and historically clear that virtually every
framer made direct appeals to their personal religious views when
constructing their theory of individual rights / structure of
government AND in their later conduct as government officials. It is
no accident that Congress began with a prayer. It is no accident that
references to "God" pepper their argument - their *public* argument.
Our government - from its inception - was deeply influenced by
Judeo-Christian people and ideas. The fact that this annoys you
doesn't change the fact.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:55:36 -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Since I am forced - by law - to pay for the libraries in my locale',
there are several I'd like to see banned for lack of any evident
merit: Anything by Michael Moore, Bill Maher, Al Gore, Sean Hannity,
and Lyndon LaRouche. I hate paying for their drivel.

You can easily remove my ability to influence the content of the
library by having the government ceasing make me pay for it.

Since I consider the public library one of Ben Franklin's best ideas, I'm
happy to go along with their inclusion of books I don't agree with.
Nobody makes me read them, although I sometimes do just to get a different
point of view.

Nobody makes me read them, but someone makes me *pay* for them.
The idea that even one billionth of one cent of my money makes into
the pockets of political parasites like Gore and Moore makes me
writhe in pain.

That seems to me to be a major difference between the neocons and
traditional conservatives. The neocons seem to want all government
supported organizations to espouse ONLY the neocon view of the world.
Of course, the PC branch of liberalism is just as bad.

Whereas the Constitutional view is one in which the Federal government
is so limited in scope that none of this would even be a discussion.

Traditional conservatives and liberals believe in letting all points of
view compete. Since many people can't afford to buy every interesting
book that comes out, the public library serves as their access.

So ... because the ends appear good, any means is OK, including
violating the Constitutional limits on Federal power? If people want
to have libraries in their communities, let them tax locally for them.
There is no place for the Feds in this discussion.

Now if you'd like to ban that ridiculous "left behind" series, I might
support that proposal - just kidding :-).

They make excellent bird cage lining.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Do you really believe "most, or "some" or "all" that you read
on the web ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 18:27:08 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

Do you really believe "most, or "some" or "all" that you read
on the web ?

Very little that does not come from a source I consider reliable.
What's your point? My question was to determine if the OP actually
believed it or if he was dropping a troll on the group.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 2:45*pm, Frank Boettcher wrote:
*My question was to determine if the OP actually
believed it or if he was dropping a troll on the group.

Frank

My friend jo4hn would never do such a thing.

g,d & r.