Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default Ms Palin's bookery

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 13:05:39 -0700, tom_murphy wrote:

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking the TRUTH matters in a political
discussion, but this story is unverifiable and almost certainly
false.

The list of books is certainly false, but apparently Ms Palin did try to
get some books removed from the library and threatened to fire the
librarian when she didn't cooperate.

Don't want no book burner in no White House!

Since I am forced - by law - to pay for the libraries in my locale',
there are several I'd like to see banned for lack of any evident
merit: Anything by Michael Moore, Bill Maher, Al Gore, Sean Hannity,
and Lyndon LaRouche. I hate paying for their drivel.

You can easily remove my ability to influence the content of the
library by having the government ceasing make me pay for it. It's real
simple - when you accept the government dollar (un-Constitutionally,
in this case) you also accept the scrutiny of *all* the people who pay
for it. That's why the government has no business in the arts,
schools, and so forth: You cannot meet the expectations of the diverse
set of ideas held by those who pay for it. The purpose of government
is to maintain an environment of freedom wherein each of us is free to
express our ideas and support those who share our views as we see fit.
It is flatly immoral to make any of us pay for ideas with the force
of government which we find offensive, corrosive, or flatly wrong.
Freedom of speech is fundamentally abrogated when we make people
support (again, by government force) ideas with which they do not
agree. It is just as bad as banning ideas, books, movies, and art.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/