hbakker

Default Extra cash at HD automated checkup

Check your cash back when using the HD automated check-out facility and
paying the bill with hard cash!

So far I have "collected" $5 and $2 at two different HD stores in FL where
previous customers would have been confused or overwhelmed by the "talking
computer" and "put items on the scale" and "take your items" etc!

I'm not "fingering" return slots at public telephones but I may get that
habit while doing my (weekly) shopping run at a HD.....could pay for the
gas...!!

Edwin Pawlowski

"hbakker" wrote in message
Check your cash back when using the HD automated check-out facility and
paying the bill with hard cash!

So far I have "collected" $5 and $2 at two different HD stores in FL where
previous customers would have been confused or overwhelmed by the "talking
computer" and "put items on the scale" and "take your items" etc!

I despise the idea of a self checkout. I refuse to use them in any store.
Like self serve gas, you don't save any money, but the seller reaps higher
profits.

To clarify, full service gas is priced as much as 25¢ a gallon higher than
self serve, but that is an artificial price. In MA, each town decides if
self serve is allowed. Gas stations across the street from each other on
the town line both sell at the same price but one if full service. When I
can get a 5% discount for doing it myself, I'll start to use them.
Ed

George M. Kazaka

So what next? steal the tools, what you are doing is just as dis-honest,
So someone made a mistake,
Wouldn't have been better to check with with the store mgr. or the person
watching the express checkout
and see if they could track the person, They paid cash so they probably
couldn't
But I would be able to sleep better knowing I did.

"hbakker" wrote in message
Check your cash back when using the HD automated check-out facility and
paying the bill with hard cash!

So far I have "collected" $5 and $2 at two different HD stores in FL where
previous customers would have been confused or overwhelmed by the "talking
computer" and "put items on the scale" and "take your items" etc!

I'm not "fingering" return slots at public telephones but I may get that
habit while doing my (weekly) shopping run at a HD.....could pay for the
gas...!!

Creamy Goodness

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"hbakker" wrote in message
[...]

I think the point, and the reason I use them frequently, is speed of
checkout and convienience. I've been using the one at my local grocery
store for 3 years now, and was overjoyed to see them pop up at my local
BORG.

I'm tired of waiting in line for 45 minutes for things beyond my control.
My TIME is too valuable, probably worth more than the 5% discount. You wait
in line, I'll make sawdust faster.

Dave Hockenberry

I think the point, and the reason I use them frequently, is speed of
checkout and convienience. I've been using the one at my local grocery
store for 3 years now, and was overjoyed to see them pop up at my local
BORG.

Agreed.....this is particularly true if you only have a few items. Getting
stuck behind someone's entire weekend project can be frustrating. Also, the
self-checkout machines don't tend to get caught up in casual conversations
while a half dozen people wait in line

Mike Patterson

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:13:07 -0400, "hbakker"
wrote:

Check your cash back when using the HD automated check-out facility and
paying the bill with hard cash!

So far I have "collected" $5 and $2 at two different HD stores in FL where
previous customers would have been confused or overwhelmed by the "talking
computer" and "put items on the scale" and "take your items" etc!

I'm not "fingering" return slots at public telephones but I may get that
habit while doing my (weekly) shopping run at a HD.....could pay for the
gas...!!

So -you're- the asshole that took my change. I came back 10 minutes
later when I remembered it, and it was gone.

Theiving ******* even thinks it funny so he posts his theft so the
world can see.

Frank Ketchum

"George M. Kazaka" wrote in message
So what next? steal the tools, what you are doing is just as dis-honest,
So someone made a mistake,
Wouldn't have been better to check with with the store mgr. or the

person
watching the express checkout
and see if they could track the person, They paid cash so they probably
couldn't
But I would be able to sleep better knowing I did.

It's not the same as stealing. Geez, it's a couple bucks that someone
forgot about. How much time of his and the store manager's should be wasted
on the impossible task of locating someone who paid in cash? Give me a
break.

Frank

Gfretwell

It's not the same as stealing. Geez, it's a couple bucks that someone
forgot about. How much time of his and the store manager's should be wasted
on the impossible task of locating someone who paid in cash?

A truly honest person would turn the cash in to the service desk, in case the
person who left it returns. A time stamped sales slip with the exact amount of
the change would be pretty convincing evidence of ownership ... but maybe some
of us are just too honest.
George

Hmmm, I don't like self-checkouts either and won't use them at HD, but I
disagree with you about self-serve gasoline. Even if it is the same price,
I prefer it because I don't have someone who doesn't give a damn scratching
the finish on the car. Since I am in the rust-belt, that saves me some
money on a car rusting prematurely.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"hbakker" wrote in message
[...]

DexAZ

I guess we were bought up differently, Frank. My folks taught me that if it
is _not_ mine, I should _not_ take it. It _does_ belong to someone else.
Therefore, to take it _IS_ stealing. In my book, hbakker should have given
the cash to the attendant of the automated lanes and let HD deal with it.

I was also taught to trust someone until that person proves he can not be
trusted. $7.00 and a blabbermouth has shown me and the rest of the group
that hbakker can not be trusted.

Like George K., at least I can sleep well at night knowing I did the right
thing. The trouble is, hbakker & Frank probably have no trouble sleeping
either.

DexAZ

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message
nk.net...

"George M. Kazaka" wrote in message
So what next? steal the tools, what you are doing is just as

dis-honest,
So someone made a mistake,
Wouldn't have been better to check with with the store mgr. or the

person
watching the express checkout
and see if they could track the person, They paid cash so they probably
couldn't
But I would be able to sleep better knowing I did.

It's not the same as stealing. Geez, it's a couple bucks that someone
forgot about. How much time of his and the store manager's should be

wasted
on the impossible task of locating someone who paid in cash? Give me a
break.

Frank

Chris Merrill

Mike Patterson wrote:
Theiving ******* even thinks it funny so he posts his theft so the
world can see.

finders...keepers...loosers...well, you know

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Jim Helfer

"George" wrote in message
Hmmm, I don't like self-checkouts either and won't use them at HD, but I
disagree with you about self-serve gasoline. Even if it is the same

price,
I prefer it because I don't have someone who doesn't give a damn

scratching
the finish on the car. Since I am in the rust-belt, that saves me some
money on a car rusting prematurely.

I do my own car maintenance, so pumping the gas once a week gives me a
chance to check the oils and fluids, look at the tires, clean the window
glass, make sure nothing is falling off.

Jim H

"hbakker" wrote in message
[...]

Scott Cramer

On 16 Oct 2003, DexAZ spake unto rec.woodworking:

I guess we were bought up differently, Frank. My folks taught me that
if it is _not_ mine, I should _not_ take it. It _does_ belong to
someone else. Therefore, to take it _IS_ stealing. In my book,
hbakker should have given the cash to the attendant of the automated
lanes and let HD deal with it.

How? Put the cash in the lost and found box? Get real. It would
have ended up back in the till, at best. More likely, in the HD
attendant's pocket.

I was also taught to trust someone until that person proves he can not
be trusted. $7.00 and a blabbermouth has shown me and the rest of the
group that hbakker can not be trusted.

Like George K., at least I can sleep well at night

Me too - and without being a sanctimonious prat. How the hell could
anybody track down the bozo who left the small change behind? You make it
sound like he stole somebody's credit card.

Swingman

Not to argue the point, but just a few of my tuppence's:

Not a damn thing sanctimonious about refusing to take something that doesn't
belong to you ... making a public noise about it, perhaps.

$2 to $5 is NOT small change to me, and I am far from being poor.

And how do you know the guy who forgot the change is a "Bozo"?

Seems reasonable to conclude that convincing yourself of that is the first
step in rationalizing the act. ;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

the town line both sell at the same price but one if full service. When I
can get a 5% discount for doing it myself, I'll start to use them.

Then get a AAA Platinum Plus Visa. You get 5% of each pay at the pump
gas transaction rebated to the account with 48 hours. It only works
for pay at the pump transactions, but it works at all brands. :-)

Creamy Goodness

DexAZ wrote:
I guess we were bought up differently, Frank. My folks taught me
that if it is _not_ mine, I should _not_ take it. It _does_ belong
to someone else. Therefore, to take it _IS_ stealing. In my book,
hbakker should have given the cash to the attendant of the automated
lanes and let HD deal with it.

I was also taught to trust someone until that person proves he can
not be trusted. $7.00 and a blabbermouth has shown me and the rest
of the group that hbakker can not be trusted.

Like George K., at least I can sleep well at night knowing I did the
right thing. The trouble is, hbakker & Frank probably have no
trouble sleeping either.

DexAZ

Woodworking guys. The name of the group is rec.woodworking.

Geesh. I agree with you, but take it somewhere else.

Leslie Gossett

You don't have to trust him. Why should anyone worry about being trusted
here anyway? I didn't know this was a forum for buying and selling. I could
care less if we were all thieves.

"DexAZ" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Leslie Gossett

Its not a theft. Someone left it there. It belongs to the person that found
it.

"Mike Patterson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Check your cash back when using the HD automated check-out facility and
paying the bill with hard cash!

So far I have "collected" $5 and $2 at two different HD stores in FL

where
previous customers would have been confused or overwhelmed by the

"talking
computer" and "put items on the scale" and "take your items" etc!

I'm not "fingering" return slots at public telephones but I may get that
habit while doing my (weekly) shopping run at a HD.....could pay for the
gas...!!

So -you're- the asshole that took my change. I came back 10 minutes
later when I remembered it, and it was gone.

Theiving ******* even thinks it funny so he posts his theft so the
world can see.

George M. Kazaka

Well Low and Behold I thought for sure that i was going to get flamed like
hell for shooting my mouth off
To all the honest folk here thank you for the support.

For those that disagree, as Swingman wrote he's far from broke but the 2 or
5 dollars was a lot to him,
I've known of people that it was a matter of eating or not, Maybe they were
not to bright maybe they were a Bozo.
Some people don't have it as good as others, some people do not have the
intelligence to earn a good living why should they have to endure further
hardships because someone thought they were stupid enough to leave their
money in the machine.
Okay its only 2 bucks or 5 bucks what happens whether its 10 or 20 where do
you draw the line. Perhaps at 50.00
Then we have the rationalizations of HD going to Keep it or the clerk will
keep it, You know your right they might
still do not know how it made it right to take it.

I hope that I do not recognize your name bitching about someone screwing you
over about something that cost you 2 bucks or 5 bucks,
The old saying what goes around comes around.

Aw **** my soap box just broke, enough, I'm outa here
George

"Chris Merrill" wrote in message
Mike Patterson wrote:
Theiving ******* even thinks it funny so he posts his theft so the
world can see.

finders...keepers...loosers...well, you know

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Scott Cramer

On 16 Oct 2003, Swingman spake unto rec.woodworking:

Not to argue the point, but just a few of my tuppence's:

Not a damn thing sanctimonious about refusing to take something that
doesn't belong to you ... making a public noise about it, perhaps.

The public noise is indeed what I find sanctimonious. That, and the
poster's absurd conclusion that the guy he castigated for taking seven
abandoned dollars could not, by extension, be trusted AT ALL. And the same
for any other TOTAL STRANGER who agreed with the guy.

$2 to $5 is NOT small change to me, and I am far from being poor.

No, but it probably isn't the difference between taking an early
retirement or not.

And how do you know the guy who forgot the change is a "Bozo"?

I meant "Bozo" in the sense of "hapless schmuck", not "idiot".

Seems reasonable to conclude that convincing yourself of that is the
first step in rationalizing the act. ;)

Now YOU'RE the one making grossly generalized assumptions :-P

Michael Daly

On 16-Oct-2003, "Leslie Gossett" wrote:

Its not a theft. Someone left it there. It belongs to the person that found
it.

NAL, but I believe it belongs to the store! You're not in a public place.

Mike
Leslie Gossett

If I found 5 bucks on the floor of the store, I wouldnt give it to some
idiot clerk who's going to pocket it anyway.
Its goin in my pocket.

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
On 16-Oct-2003, "Leslie Gossett" wrote:

Its not a theft. Someone left it there. It belongs to the person that

found
it.

NAL, but I believe it belongs to the store! You're not in a public place.

Mike

LRod

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:28:08 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

The angel spread apart his wings
The old man held his ground
They left together right away
And didn't make a sound

So you're saying the penalty for pocketing the found money is death?

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Doug Miller

In article , Scott Cramer wrote:
On 16 Oct 2003, DexAZ spake unto rec.woodworking:

I guess we were bought up differently, Frank. My folks taught me that
if it is _not_ mine, I should _not_ take it. It _does_ belong to
someone else. Therefore, to take it _IS_ stealing. In my book,
hbakker should have given the cash to the attendant of the automated
lanes and let HD deal with it.

How? Put the cash in the lost and found box? Get real. It would
have ended up back in the till, at best. More likely, in the HD
attendant's pocket.

So... it's ok to take something that is not yours, because if you don't take
it, someone else will?

--
Regards,
Scott Cramer

On 16 Oct 2003, Doug Miller spake unto rec.woodworking:

In article , Scott
Cramer wrote:
On 16 Oct 2003, DexAZ spake unto rec.woodworking:

I guess we were bought up differently, Frank. My folks taught me
that if it is _not_ mine, I should _not_ take it. It _does_ belong
to someone else. Therefore, to take it _IS_ stealing. In my book,
hbakker should have given the cash to the attendant of the automated
lanes and let HD deal with it.

How? Put the cash in the lost and found box? Get real. It
would
have ended up back in the till, at best. More likely, in the HD
attendant's pocket.

So... it's ok to take something that is not yours, because if you
don't take it, someone else will?

In this particular circumstance, when there is no way to know who the
rightful owner is, and the alternative is to let it be assimilated by the
borg? Yes.
hbakker

Boy, we are judgmental, aren't we? This posting was done primarily to make
people a little bit more attentive and alert when shopping at HD.

FYI: the story is a short one. I decided to post what I liked to say, not
necessarily ALL the issues. Of course I expected reactions like "thieving"
etc., just standard thing for Americans to do.

But, to calm you down:

No. one: "collecting" does not and did not imply KEEPING the money. At both
times I showed the cash to the attendant who, in her best Spanish/English
told me: "keep it. I don't know who forgot that" , respectively at the
second store, said to me: "Thanks! This happened a few times more. It's
"just" two bucks and it's like finding it on the street. There are no
customers around now - who can tell who's the owner. Take it home". And so
I kept the cash. (And next time I may even forget to check the slot).

No. two, I am very reluctant to just return the money to any attendant (or
"store manager" or "supervisor")here in South Florida. Period. It may be
different in other parts of the States.

And boy, do I sleep good.

HNB

"Mike Patterson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Check your cash back when using the HD automated check-out facility and
paying the bill with hard cash!

So far I have "collected" $5 and $2 at two different HD stores in FL

where
previous customers would have been confused or overwhelmed by the

"talking
computer" and "put items on the scale" and "take your items" etc!

I'm not "fingering" return slots at public telephones but I may get that
habit while doing my (weekly) shopping run at a HD.....could pay for the
gas...!!

So -you're- the asshole that took my change. I came back 10 minutes
later when I remembered it, and it was gone.

Theiving ******* even thinks it funny so he posts his theft so the
world can see.

Tom Watson

Lost and Found

An angel left some money sit
Upon the counting table
A good thief came to claim it
Saying, "Now I will be able
to buy a good thing for myself
and maybe I'll get Cable."

An angel left some money sit
Upon the counting table
A bad thief came to claim it
Saying, "Now I will be able
to buy a good thing for myself
a half an hour with Mabel."

An angel left some money sit
Upon the counting table
A good man came to claim it
Saying, "Now I will be able
To buy a good thing for the poor
To make those poor more able."

An angel left some money sit
Upon the counting table
An old man came and picked it up
And, turning to the angel
Said, "I believe you dropped this sir
Upon this counting table."

The angel spread apart his wings
The old man held his ground
They left together right away
And didn't make a sound

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
George M. Kazaka

Nice Tom, Real Nice, However Its unfortunate that so many still will not
get it.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
[...]

Leslie Gossett

Yes, definately

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...
In article , Scott

Cramer wrote:
On 16 Oct 2003, DexAZ spake unto rec.woodworking:

I guess we were bought up differently, Frank. My folks taught me that
if it is _not_ mine, I should _not_ take it. It _does_ belong to
someone else. Therefore, to take it _IS_ stealing. In my book,
hbakker should have given the cash to the attendant of the automated
lanes and let HD deal with it.

How? Put the cash in the lost and found box? Get real. It

would
have ended up back in the till, at best. More likely, in the HD
attendant's pocket.

So... it's ok to take something that is not yours, because if you don't

take
it, someone else will?

--
Regards,

David Chamberlain

"Leslie Gossett" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Its not a theft. Someone left it there. It belongs to the person that

found
it.

Actually, in Maine, it is a crime. Title 17A Section 356 - Theft of lost,
mislaid or mistakenly delivered property
A person is guilty of theft if:
He obtains or exercises control over the property of another which he knows
to have been lost or mislaid or to have been delivered under a mistake as to
the identity of the recipient or as to the nature or amount of the property

--
dbchamber at hotmail spam dot com

Remove the spam to reach me

Jim Helfer

. ..
wrote:

The angel spread apart his wings
The old man held his ground
They left together right away
And didn't make a sound

So you're saying the penalty for pocketing the found money is death?

Yes, I think that is what they are saying.

You know, _Pride_ used to be the worst Sin.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Frank Ketchum

"DexAZ" wrote in message
ink.net...
I guess we were bought up differently, Frank. My folks taught me that if

it
is _not_ mine, I should _not_ take it. It _does_ belong to someone else.
Therefore, to take it _IS_ stealing. In my book, hbakker should have

given
the cash to the attendant of the automated lanes and let HD deal with it.

I was also taught to trust someone until that person proves he can not be
trusted. $7.00 and a blabbermouth has shown me and the rest of the group
that hbakker can not be trusted.

Like George K., at least I can sleep well at night knowing I did the right
thing. The trouble is, hbakker & Frank probably have no trouble sleeping
either.

My comment was meant in reply to the suggestion that someone should be
"tracked" down over $2. I'm not suggesting that it's every man for himself.
It's not worth getting into a self righteous knot over. I'm an honest
person myself who does not steal anything, but in my experience, people so
quick to jump on their puplic soap boxes are usually the biggest hypocrytes
around.

Frank

Silvan

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

the town line both sell at the same price but one if full service. When I
can get a 5% discount for doing it myself, I'll start to use them.

Must be a Yankee thing. I haven't seen a full-service gas station in years.
I didn't know they still existed.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:09:59 -0400, "hbakker"
pixelated:

Boy, we are judgmental, aren't we? This posting was done primarily to make
people a little bit more attentive and alert when shopping at HD.

Fact: People who don't pay attention lose money and other things.

FYI: the story is a short one. I decided to post what I liked to say, not
necessarily ALL the issues. Of course I expected reactions like "thieving"
etc., just standard thing for Americans to do.

But, to calm you down:

No. one: "collecting" does not and did not imply KEEPING the money. At both
times I showed the cash to the attendant who, in her best Spanish/English
told me: "keep it. I don't know who forgot that" , respectively at the

Atta Boy! Your karma's good.

second store, said to me: "Thanks! This happened a few times more. It's
"just" two bucks and it's like finding it on the street. There are no
customers around now - who can tell who's the owner. Take it home". And so
I kept the cash. (And next time I may even forget to check the slot).

I keep my conscience clear by asking the clerk. If they don't
want it, I keep it and consider it my karma for the last couple
bucks -I- forgot there or somewhere else.

Iguana: The other green meat!