Edwin Pawlowski

Default Extra cash at HD automated checkup

"Silvan" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

the town line both sell at the same price but one if full service. When

can get a 5% discount for doing it myself, I'll start to use them.

Must be a Yankee thing. I haven't seen a full-service gas station in

years.
I didn't know they still existed.

By full service, I mean they pump it for you. Few if any, will check the
oil and wash the windshield like the Texaco Stars did years ago.
Massachusetts allows the fire marshal of each town decide if its citizens
are competent enough to pump gas safely. The entire state of New Jersey is
full serve.

If I was truly saving money, I'd say OK, but I see proof that gas can be
sold with an attendant for the same price as me freezing my (insert favorite
body part here) off in the winter.
Ed

alexy

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Some states have determined that their residents aren't
competent enough to pump their own gasoline.

Oregon
New Jersey
Parts of Mass.

Any arguments with their logic?

How about the fact that self-serve gas stations in the other 47 states
aren't going up in impressive balls of flame with any regularity?

That obviously confirms how bright those of us living outside of those
states are.
--
Alex
Dave Balderstone

In article , Edwin Pawlowski
wrote:

When I
can get a 5% discount for doing it myself, I'll start to use them.

We buy all our gas at the local Federated Co-op. Full serve, and when I
get my patronage cheque every June, I save about 2.5 cents a litre.

Same pump price as the self serve down the block and the full serve
station across the street.

Cost me $10, 9 years ago, to become a Co-op member.

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Dave Balderstone

Anyone want to lay odds on whether Godwin's Law comes into play in this
thread?

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Michael Daly

On 16-Oct-2003, Mark & Juanita wrote:

How about the fact that self-serve gas stations in the other 47 states
aren't going up in impressive balls of flame with any regularity?

I was consulting for an oil company earlier this year and got to watch a
video from a service station taken the day before. Self serve dispensers
are not allowed to have locking (i.e always on) nozzles. A woman in a van
managed to jam one open and got back into her vehicle to wait. It overflowed
and when she got out and touched the nozzle, the whole thing went up. I
joked (not appreciated by the boss) that she must have jammed it open with
a cigarette lighter. Actually, it was probably static. It does happen.
And some folks are stupid enough to override the safety features.

Mike
Doug Miller

In article e.rogers.com, "Michael Daly" wrote:
On 16-Oct-2003, Mark & Juanita wrote:

How about the fact that self-serve gas stations in the other 47 states
aren't going up in impressive balls of flame with any regularity?

I was consulting for an oil company earlier this year and got to watch a
video from a service station taken the day before. Self serve dispensers
are not allowed to have locking (i.e always on) nozzles.

Maybe where you live... and apparently you don't travel much. I live in
Indiana, and travel frequently to Michigan, and occasionally to Illinois,
Ohio, Alabama, Florida, and Ontario Canada. I can't remember the last time I
used a self-serve pump that did *not* have a locking nozzle. And no, I'm not
getting old enough that my memory is failing. :-)

--
Regards,
alexy

"Michael Daly" wrote:

On 16-Oct-2003, Mark & Juanita wrote:

How about the fact that self-serve gas stations in the other 47 states
aren't going up in impressive balls of flame with any regularity?

I was consulting for an oil company earlier this year and got to watch a
video from a service station taken the day before. Self serve dispensers
are not allowed to have locking (i.e always on) nozzles.

Maybe in some jurisdictions, but some of us live in areas where people
are even bright enough to be able to handle the locking nozzles.

A woman in a van
managed to jam one open and got back into her vehicle to wait. It overflowed
and when she got out and touched the nozzle, the whole thing went up. I
joked (not appreciated by the boss) that she must have jammed it open with
a cigarette lighter.

When I find an occasional station without the locking nozzle, I jam it
open with the gas cap. About the right size, and makes sure I don't
forget to put the gas cap back on. I've had one overflow in all these
years. Good reminder about static, though.

Actually, it was probably static. It does happen.
And some folks are stupid enough to override the safety features.

If you are calling a disabled pump (i.e., defeated locking nozzle) a
safety feature, then you must be calling all gas station attendants
who use locking nozzles stupid? Even more reason to pump your own.

--
Alex
Donnie Vazquez

Trent© wrote:
Exactly. Its an over-or-short of a cash register. This one happens
to be unmanned.

HD...or the clerk, depending on their company policy...will be
responsible for any shortage. Any overages over the year offset these
kinds of shortages.

If it was change left by the previous customer, it is not an overage or
shortage of the register. The register did exactly what it was supposed
to do. The money belongs to the customer that left it or the next person
to pick it up (depending on how you look at it). It definitely does not
belong to the BORG.

--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

Silvan

Trent© wrote:

knows to have been lost or mislaid or to have been delivered under a
mistake as to the identity of the recipient or as to the nature or
amount of the property

Not a lawyer (thank goodness) either, but I suspect the Maine law also
must have some clause in it that would require said property to have
some means of identifying the rightful owner. i.e. if one finds a

But this money wasn't found laying on the street. It was found in a
cash dispenser which is owned by HD. The money belongs to HD...to be
dispersed as per their company policy.

One point I think everyone misses in this is that the money isn't owned by
HD, by Joe Hapless, by the OP or anyone else. It's owned by the US
Treasury. They just let us hold onto some of it for awhile before it goes
home to be destroyed and recycled.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

tastbits

The reason I don't patronize the self-checkouts at HD and my local
grocery stores is twofold: a) I'm not as fast and accurate as the
checker, and b) self-service checkout stands take away jobs. With
jobs disappearing as fast as the U.S. budget surplus I don't think
it's a very good idea to facilitate the process. Besides, why should
I have to do the work when I don't get a discount?
Chris

Mark & Juanita wrote in message ws.com...
In article ,
says...
Silvan wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

the town line both sell at the same price but one if full service. When I
can get a 5% discount for doing it myself, I'll start to use them.

Must be a Yankee thing. I haven't seen a full-service gas station in years.
I didn't know they still existed.

Some states have determined that their residents aren't
competent enough to pump their own gasoline.

Oregon
New Jersey
Parts of Mass.

Any arguments with their logic?

How about the fact that self-serve gas stations in the other 47 states
aren't going up in impressive balls of flame with any regularity?

I hate having to fill up in self-serve states.

Here in NJ, there have been a few pushes in the past (mostly by the
oil companies) to get NJ to change the law prohibiting self serve.
But it's been at least 15 years since they tried. I think this is
because they discovered that it doesn't save them any money, and may
actually end up costing money. Don't believe me?

Most gas stations around here employ 1 or 2 people at any given time
to man the pumps. They usually have 6 or 8 pumps, that may or may not
have a roof over the top to protect them from the elements.

Most self-serve stations I have been to in other states STILL employ 1
or 2 people at any given time, PLUS they have AT LEAST 8 pumps,
sometimes 12, 16 or 20, usually much newer and cleaner WITH a room
overhead. The roof and the newer facilities are to attract customers
who don't want to be out in the rain pumping gas with dirty pump
nozzles. They still need someone inside to take the money, BUT since
customers pumping their own gas are slower than a station attendant
pumping gas, they need more pumps, they need the roof, they need to
maintain the pumps better - all this cost them money AND you still
have to get out of your car when it is cold and get your hands smelly
to pump your own gas.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-Chris
Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...
In the spirit of contributing to "topic rot"...

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:00:25 -0400, Trent©
wrote:
*snip*

Now...more than likely, this thread will go on to talk about
jam...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!

Hear! Hear! One of my FAVORITE things while growing up
was a thick slice of homemade bread, still warm from the oven,
slathered with a little butter and a LOT of Quince Jam. Talk
about one of the few bright spots!
Regards
Dave Mundt

Silvan

Trent© wrote:

Now...more than likely, this thread will go on to talk about
jam...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!

We finally got a Krispy Kreme store.

Krispy Kreme raspberry filled.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Why do I fear that the two inches I've shed in my waist are about to come
back?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

David Hall

"David Chamberlain" wrote in message ...
"Leslie Gossett" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Its not a theft. Someone left it there. It belongs to the person that

found
it.

Actually, in Maine, it is a crime. Title 17A Section 356 - Theft of lost,
mislaid or mistakenly delivered property
A person is guilty of theft if:
He obtains or exercises control over the property of another which he knows
to have been lost or mislaid or to have been delivered under a mistake as to
the identity of the recipient or as to the nature or amount of the property

is also a crime to speed in Maine. Do you EVER do that?

Dave Hall
Edwin Pawlowski

"Trent©" wrote in message
and when she got out and touched the nozzle, the whole thing went up. I
joked (not appreciated by the boss) that she must have jammed it open

with
a cigarette lighter. Actually, it was probably static. It does happen.
And some folks are stupid enough to override the safety features.

Mike

What city and state did this happen in, Mike. I'd like to look it up.

Trent

I saw this on our news in CT. It did not happen here but they made a big
deal about getting back into the car and getting out to take the filler out.
Women are more prone to do static because of the stocking they wear. They
also got into filling gas cans in the back of a pickup as fumes can collect
there, just like when you fuel a boat.

I once picked up a nozzle from the pump, hit the start button and had gas
spew out as the previous user jammed the handle in the "on" position. No
damage, but it did stink from the spill.

As for the latch device, I know some states do not permit them, but a
station in my town just got all new hoses and nozzles and they all have the
latch. That is one reason I like that station. There pumps also have a
higher capacity than many of the newer self serve models.

Keeping this on topic, I filled the tank so I could drive to the lumber yard
to buy some wood.
Ed

Donnie Vazquez

Trent© wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:49:51 -0400, Donnie Vazquez
wrote:

Trent© wrote:

Exactly. Its an over-or-short of a cash register. This one happens
to be unmanned.

HD...or the clerk, depending on their company policy...will be
responsible for any shortage. Any overages over the year offset these
kinds of shortages.

If it was change left by the previous customer, it is not an overage or
shortage of the register. The register did exactly what it was supposed
to do. The money belongs to the customer that left it or the next person
to pick it up (depending on how you look at it). It definitely does not
belong to the BORG.

Tell us exactly how you know the machine didn't malfunction.

I don't. Hence the word IF. You know, the VERY FIRST WORD in my post.
Re-read and try again you smug prick :-)

--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

Brad Bruce

Silvan wrote in
:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Must be a Yankee thing. I haven't seen a full-service gas station in
years. I didn't know they still existed.

Stay away from New Jersey then. Crazy legislators think people are too
dumb to pump their own gas. (It's illegal)

NJBrad
Tom Watson

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:41:07 -0400, "Jim Helfer"
wrote:

You know, _Pride_ used to be the worst Sin.

From the Fifth Century B.C.E. we have the warnings of the Greek's
about Hubris which became codified by Pope Gregory in the Fifth
Century C.E. as Pride and so on to Shakespeare's warnings in the
tragedies a thousand years later, so on to Raskolnikov and
Dostoevsky's portrait of the self absorbtion that must become madness.

The common thread is that Pride is the progenitor of the notion that
the other is as nothing in comparison to the self and that it can be
objectified to the point where there is no obligation to acknowledge
the other as part of the same world that the self inhabits.

This thinking allows the Hubrist to violate the commonly held beliefs
of the society that he dwells in, at his whim, when it is these
commonly held beliefs which describe society, and their violation is
the basis of Sociopathy.

The primacy of Pride in the order of the Deadly Sins is not a mere
description of its position in a numerical order but is rather a call
to recognize it as the basis for all of the other sins.

It is then Pride which allows someone to claim as his own that which
does not belong to him, in violation of any concept of morality that
has been expressed in Western Culture for at least twenty five hundred
years.

Seen in this way, this taking is not a small act. Although the sum
may be small, the implications are vast.

Should we teach our children that stealing a small sum is of small
consequence or should we teach them that stealing is wrong?

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Leon

The self service only works for me when the only cashier has 10 people in
line and the self serve is empty.

I hate standing in line to give some one my money.

Leon

So you say it works with any brand fuel as long as it is pay at the pump??
Cool..

wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

the town line both sell at the same price but one if full service. When

can get a 5% discount for doing it myself, I'll start to use them.

Then get a AAA Platinum Plus Visa. You get 5% of each pay at the pump
gas transaction rebated to the account with 48 hours. It only works
for pay at the pump transactions, but it works at all brands. :-)

Silvan

alexy wrote:

Boy, this is going downhill fast! Anybody tried any of that Kentucky
Jelly? g

Yes.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

BigDog

Silvan wrote in rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:

Boy, this is going downhill fast! Anybody tried any of that Kentucky
Jelly? g

Yes.

Can't go wrong with some jalapeno jelly.

--
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
Doug Winterburn

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:28:06 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

[snip]

Should we teach our children that stealing a small sum is of small
consequence or should we teach them that stealing is wrong?

Apparently, the lessons of the late '90's concerning moral relativism
in pervarication have spilled over to ownership :-(

-Doug
Mark & Juanita

In article ,
says...
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:03:23 GMT, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

In article 3uLjb.357433$Lnr1.267559
,

says...
On 16-Oct-2003, Mark & Juanita wrote:

How about the fact that self-serve gas stations in the other 47 states
aren't going up in impressive balls of flame with any regularity?

I was consulting for an oil company earlier this year and got to watch a
video from a service station taken the day before. Self serve dispensers
are not allowed to have locking (i.e always on) nozzles. A woman in a van
managed to jam one open and got back into her vehicle to wait. It overflowed
and when she got out and touched the nozzle, the whole thing went up. I
joked (not appreciated by the boss) that she must have jammed it open with
a cigarette lighter. Actually, it was probably static. It does happen.
And some folks are stupid enough to override the safety features.

Self serve dispensers here in AZ are allowed to have locking nozzles.
However, the nozzles must be self-shutoff when they sense back pressure
(seems a more elegant solution than making folks -- especially older
folks who may have arthritis or other ailments) have to hold a nozzle on
while the car fills.

The automatic shutoffs often do not work. I've personally gotten a
gasoline bath at least a half dozen times...while holding the handle
down.

Then you must pump gas from some pretty poorly maintained places. In
the past 25 years since self-serve became the vogue, I can remember only
one time when the cutoff didn't work, and that was only after it had
activated once and I was trying to get the numbers to come out to a
currency round number.

I suspect that the local fire marshal would shut down a place rather
quickly were it found that its automated cutoffs were inoperative;
that's a hazard whether you are forcing people to get cramps in their
hands in the freezing cold while being forced to act like metal stops or
whether you have metal stops holding the nozzle open.
Mike Iglesias

In article ,
Trent© wrote:
The automatic shutoffs often do not work. I've personally gotten a
gasoline bath at least a half dozen times...while holding the handle
down.

I've never had this happen. I've been using self-serve in Calif since
they became popular, however long that's been. I started driving in
1970, got my first car in 1972.

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Silvan

Trent© wrote:

Its always aggravating when a guy wants to get another 22¢ into his
tank...at stop-and-go and slow speed.

This is something else I don't get. I've *never* waited in line for gas.
On a rare day when every pump is in use, there's no one at the place up the
street that's one cent more expensive.

I've rarely waited in line for diesel for that matter. I try to plan my
fuel stops so that I have the option to bail and get fuel later if there's
a wait. I hate waiting.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mark & Juanita

In article ,
says...
Trent© wrote:

Its always aggravating when a guy wants to get another 22¢ into his
tank...at stop-and-go and slow speed.

This is something else I don't get. I've *never* waited in line for gas.
On a rare day when every pump is in use, there's no one at the place up the
street that's one cent more expensive.

I'm not sure what world the copylefted Trent lives in. In my world, I
have yet to see an automatic cutoff not work on initial fill (only time
I've seen it happen was when continuing to fill after the pump cutoff),
nor have I encountered any gas pumps anywhere that don't allow one to
continue filling after the initial cutoff -- there are times when this
is not just to round out the sale but because the cutoff works
prematurely and there are many more gallons before the tank is actually
full. Also, I've never seen anyone take that much time pumping a few
cents extra to round out the sale -- I see much more time with fumbling
with credit cards, adjusting the hair before moving the car, etc.

I've rarely waited in line for diesel for that matter. I try to plan my
fuel stops so that I have the option to bail and get fuel later if there's
a wait. I hate waiting.

Me too. However, in my area (Tucson) the difference is on the order
of a dime, except at Arco that doesn't take credit cards, thus one
either has to mess with their cash eater or have to pre-pay to pump.
Only thing I hate worse than waiting is having to pre-pay to pump gas.

Xane MegaWolf T.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 03:18:57 GMT, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

How about the fact that self-serve gas stations in the other 47 states
aren't going up in impressive balls of flame with any regularity?

Discovery Channel's 'Mythbusters' just recently ran a show testing to
see if a cel phone could blow up a gas station [I've seen gas stations
that even have official looking signs 'turn phones off']. After
several failed attempts with both cel phones /and/ static sparks, they
found that it takes a REALLY exact mixture of oxygen and gas fumes to
spark a fire. And cel phones CANNOT start one, even under perfect
laboratory conditions.

They also found out that women are 8x more likely then men to get back
into the car while fueling, then spark a fire with static. But they
concluded that it would be a very rare occurence, because of the
precise mixture required to ignite from a static spark. They had to
use a high power leyden jar to set off their earlier tests.

Ironically, this came up on Oprah a few days later, where they made it
into an incredibly big deal. Some idiot 'expert' also said that it was
possible for cel phones to spark a fire. Guess which show more people
watch? This is just as bad as all the urban legends that wind up in
Dear Abby as 'true'...

Make sure you spread the word - cel phones will NOT blow up a gas
station.

Other random things: Tanning salons cannot microwave you, microwaves
won't 'explode' if metal is put into them, microwaves /can/ make
'explosive' water, but only if you use distilled, a penny dropped off
the Empire State Building won't kill anyone,

dicko

wrote:

How about the fact that self-serve gas stations in the other 47 states
aren't going up in impressive balls of flame with any regularity?

Discovery Channel's 'Mythbusters' just recently ran a show testing to
see if a cel phone could blow up a gas station [I've seen gas stations
that even have official looking signs 'turn phones off']. After
several failed attempts with both cel phones /and/ static sparks, they
found that it takes a REALLY exact mixture of oxygen and gas fumes to
spark a fire. And cel phones CANNOT start one, even under perfect
laboratory conditions.

Just to set the record straight, like all legends, there is (was) a
grain of truth to this.

In the old days (we're talking before the invention transistors here),
2-way radios were built in two parts, a control head that mounted
under the dashboard, and a radio unit, that mounted in the trunk.
These radios were big clunky tube things that used many hundreds of
volts to generate their RF, and were often mounted near the gas tank
filler tube of the car.

Switching from receive to transmit did two things. First it switched
the high voltage to the transmitter with an open (un-enclosed) relay
contact that often times arced horribly (think massive spark). Second,
it switched the antenna wire from the receiver to transmitter (again
with a massive spark).

So now you have all the conditions for a good explosion:
1. enclosed space (the trunk)
2. ignition source (the sparking relay)
3. proximity to fuel (leaking filler tube)

And as I recall, all the 2-way radio user manuals of the time
cautioned about filling up and transmitting at the same time.

However, nowadays, with today's modern solid state, low voltage
electronics, all switching is either done by hermetically enclosed
reed switches or by solid state switches so there is no possibility of
getting an arc to ignite gas fumes.

Not to mention the fact that a cellphone doesnt have an antenna switch
since it's full duplex.

I think the first 2-way radio with hermetically sealed relays first
shipped in 1970 (Motorola Micor) but many poorly funded police
departments and cab companies continued using the old equipment well
into the '80s so it wasnt all that long ago that a car could still
blow up.

So yes, it's an urban myth today and deserves to be roundly debunked,
but at one time it really was possible to blow up a car simply by
talking on your radio. But this is way way off topic now...

dickm
Renata

Interspersed...

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 04:46:04 GMT, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Trent© wrote:

[...]

Just the other day I had the cutoff initiate immediately; seems I have
to back the nozzle out just a bit or the backflow initiates the
cutoff. Not very practical to have the pump shut down immediately
upon cutoff.

Not to mention, situating the kids back in their car seats - why do
they need to get out while you take five minutes to fill up the tank.

I've rarely waited in line for diesel for that matter. I try to plan my
fuel stops so that I have the option to bail and get fuel later if there's
a wait. I hate waiting.

Lines are a hassle I put up with when the price is 20¢ less a gallon -
that's the difference around here between BJ's (or its ilk) gas and
the regular stations. Up in PA, the difference isn't so staggering
(~5¢), but the lines are shorter so it balances out.

Me too. However, in my area (Tucson) the difference is on the order
of a dime, except at Arco that doesn't take credit cards, thus one
either has to mess with their cash eater or have to pre-pay to pump.
Only thing I hate worse than waiting is having to pre-pay to pump gas.

I avoid prepay like the plague. You gotta run in and give the cashier
some money, run out fill the tank, run in and get change - and have to
wait in line each time. The credit card (debit, etc.) at the tank are
great.

Renata
smart, not dumb for email

wrote:

[...]

*AND* the vacuum tubes usually got the required 'high voltage', from
a device called a 'dynamotor'. Think of a 12-VDC *BRUSH*TYPE* motor
driving a generator that produced several hundred volts. Usually there
was near-continuous arcing going on at the dynamotor brushes, *regardless*
of whether you were in transmit or receive.

Switching from receive to transmit did two things. First it switched
the high voltage to the transmitter with an open (un-enclosed) relay
contact that often times arced horribly (think massive spark). Second,
it switched the antenna wire from the receiver to transmitter (again
with a massive spark).

So now you have all the conditions for a good explosion:
1. enclosed space (the trunk)
2. ignition source (the sparking relay)
3. proximity to fuel (leaking filler tube)

And as I recall, all the 2-way radio user manuals of the time
cautioned about filling up and transmitting at the same time.

YUP. These were also relatively _high_power_ transmitters -- 50 watt,
100 watt, or even more. there was a non-trivial risk of a 'random' piece
of metal(anywhere _near_ the transmitting antenna) acting as a -receiving-
antenna with enough efficiency to generate enough voltage to jump a
relatively small distance to 'ground'. That big bumper-mount antenna was
only a foot or so away from where the gas fumes were pouring out of the
gas tank.

Not a _probable occurrence, but the 'downside risk' was "bad enough" to
justify 'unreasonable precautions' to avoid it.

However, nowadays, with today's modern solid state, low voltage
electronics, all switching is either done by hermetically enclosed
reed switches or by solid state switches so there is no possibility of
getting an arc to ignite gas fumes.

The -other- risks, of stray RF pickup/rectification, and jumping to ground
do remain. *Virtually* non-existent, however due to the much, *MUCH* lower
power levels used -- modern cell-phones transmit with 0.6 watts _maximum_,
and as much *less* than that as will suffice to maintain communications.
(the cell tower actually 'tells' the phone to reduce power, till its at
the 'minimum' effective level.

Not to mention the fact that a cellphone doesnt have an antenna switch
since it's full duplex.

I think the first 2-way radio with hermetically sealed relays first
shipped in 1970 (Motorola Micor) but many poorly funded police

departments and cab companies continued using the old equipment well
into the '80s so it wasnt all that long ago that a car could still
blow up.

So yes, it's an urban myth today and deserves to be roundly debunked,
but at one time it really was possible to blow up a car simply by
talking on your radio. But this is way way off topic now...

It is *still* a concern, for vehicles running 'higher power" business-band
(or other, e.g. "ham") 2-way radio systems, . It is only cell-phone
technology where it is a true non-issue.

as noted, getting _way_ off-topic.

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Rico wrote:
...Previous quote snipped...:
Some states have determined that their residents aren't
competent enough to pump their own gasoline.

Oregon
New Jersey
Parts of Mass.

Any arguments with their logic?