Chris

Default Extra cash at HD automated checkup

Mark & Juanita wrote in message ws.com...
In article ,
says...
Silvan wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

the town line both sell at the same price but one if full service. When I
can get a 5% discount for doing it myself, I'll start to use them.

Must be a Yankee thing. I haven't seen a full-service gas station in years.
I didn't know they still existed.

Some states have determined that their residents aren't
competent enough to pump their own gasoline.

Oregon
New Jersey
Parts of Mass.

Any arguments with their logic?

How about the fact that self-serve gas stations in the other 47 states
aren't going up in impressive balls of flame with any regularity?

I hate having to fill up in self-serve states.

Here in NJ, there have been a few pushes in the past (mostly by the
oil companies) to get NJ to change the law prohibiting self serve.
But it's been at least 15 years since they tried. I think this is
because they discovered that it doesn't save them any money, and may
actually end up costing money. Don't believe me?

Most gas stations around here employ 1 or 2 people at any given time
to man the pumps. They usually have 6 or 8 pumps, that may or may not
have a roof over the top to protect them from the elements.

Most self-serve stations I have been to in other states STILL employ 1
or 2 people at any given time, PLUS they have AT LEAST 8 pumps,
sometimes 12, 16 or 20, usually much newer and cleaner WITH a room
overhead. The roof and the newer facilities are to attract customers
who don't want to be out in the rain pumping gas with dirty pump
nozzles. They still need someone inside to take the money, BUT since
customers pumping their own gas are slower than a station attendant
pumping gas, they need more pumps, they need the roof, they need to
maintain the pumps better - all this cost them money AND you still
have to get out of your car when it is cold and get your hands smelly
to pump your own gas.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-Chris