Posted to rec.woodworking

Default jointer necessity question

I currently possess no jointer and only miss it occasionally.

I'm on and off as a woodworker, and mainly seem to do kitchen cabinets
and such (i.e. plywood, w/solid trim out). (The never ending
kitchen... pics coming soon - I hope).

I keep thinking I'll find time (and one day I will!) to expand my
horizons.

So, whadya think about acquiring an 8" jointer, used, made in usa? I
fear these might become a rarity, and I'm not too happy with the
chinese crap i've gotten - even delta's x5 line.

Idea being, I _might_ need it one day (right?) and it may not be
available except as chinese junk.

Thanx
Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Renata wrote:
I currently possess no jointer and only miss it occasionally.

I'm on and off as a woodworker, and mainly seem to do kitchen cabinets
and such (i.e. plywood, w/solid trim out). (The never ending
kitchen... pics coming soon - I hope).

I keep thinking I'll find time (and one day I will!) to expand my
horizons.

So, whadya think about acquiring an 8" jointer, used, made in usa? I
fear these might become a rarity, and I'm not too happy with the
chinese crap i've gotten - even delta's x5 line.

Idea being, I _might_ need it one day (right?) and it may not be
available except as chinese junk.

If it's in good shape, and you have the money to buy it and the space to store
it, snap that puppy right up. You'll be surprised at how useful it turns out
to be.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
If it's in good shape, and you have the money to buy it and the space to
store
it, snap that puppy right up. You'll be surprised at how useful it turns
out
to be.

Yep, once you've got it, like so many things, you'll wonder how you could
have been boneheaded enough to use the workarounds and make-dos.

Heck, I just got one of the Veritas edge planes, and it's almost indifferent
to climbing grain in use. Wonder how I muddled through without it for
trimming and adjusting. Then there's the shoulder plane....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

If it's in good shape, and you have the money to buy it and the space to store
it, snap that puppy right up. You'll be surprised at how useful it turns out
to be.

Ditto.

8" has been the sweet size for me, based on the fact that most of the
lumber I get is 6-8" wide. Most wide stock is either seriously
upcharged or limited availablity. On the rare occasions that I buy wide
stock, I'll have the dealer face joint me a reference for my planer, or
the wood will be cut into narrower parts before jointing with a hand,
band, or jigsaw.

I also like my DJ-20's fence height, which is taller than most smaller
machines, but not as tall as the DJ-30's. I felt the DJ-30 fence
bordered on too tall the few times that I've used a DJ-30.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote in
:

I currently possess no jointer and only miss it occasionally.

I'm on and off as a woodworker, and mainly seem to do kitchen cabinets
and such (i.e. plywood, w/solid trim out). (The never ending
kitchen... pics coming soon - I hope).

I keep thinking I'll find time (and one day I will!) to expand my
horizons.

So, whadya think about acquiring an 8" jointer, used, made in usa? I
fear these might become a rarity, and I'm not too happy with the
chinese crap i've gotten - even delta's x5 line.

Idea being, I _might_ need it one day (right?) and it may not be
available except as chinese junk.

Thanx
Renata

I have a Delta Milwaukee 8", from the mid-fifties vintage, completely
rebuilt and tweaked by a fellow I know and trust.

I still only use it maybe once a year.

They come around, if you feel that you might need one in the future. Mine
currently blocks easy access to some storage shelves.

Don't be in too big a hurry, is what I'm saying, I guess.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

On the rare occasions that I buy wide stock, I'll have the dealer face joint me a reference for my planer, or the wood will be cut into narrower parts before jointing with a hand, band, or jigsaw.

There is a less expensive and relatively easy way --- Use a scrub
plane and winding sticks. You only have to level one side fairly close
and then run it through a surface planer.

Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:14:25 -0400, Renata
wrote:

I currently possess no jointer and only miss it occasionally.

I'm on and off as a woodworker, and mainly seem to do kitchen cabinets
and such (i.e. plywood, w/solid trim out). (The never ending
kitchen... pics coming soon - I hope).

I keep thinking I'll find time (and one day I will!) to expand my
horizons.

So, whadya think about acquiring an 8" jointer, used, made in usa? I
fear these might become a rarity, and I'm not too happy with the
chinese crap i've gotten - even delta's x5 line.

If you start with rough cut wood from the saw mill or your own resawn
wood, you will use it constantly, if not, it will probably take up
space.

You will have to go way back to get a made in USA jointer, most went
to Taiwan and then China some time age.

IMHO The best big jointers are the type that use the parallagram table
height adjustment design with eccentrics for coplaner tuning. The
Delta DJ's are excellent, however, they were made in Brazil at Invicta
and badged Delta. They were moved to Taiwan about 10 years ago, still
maintaining very good quality, but Invicta still makes the same unit.
I don't think that design was ever made in the USA.

You should avoid the chinese wedge beds unless you are just looking
for low price.

Curious, most X5 units are made in the USA, what X5 unit were you
dissatisfied with?

Frank

Idea being, I _might_ need it one day (right?) and it may not be
available except as chinese junk.

Thanx
Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

snip .

So, whadya think about acquiring an 8" jointer, used, made in usa? I
fear these might become a rarity, and I'm not too happy with the
chinese crap i've gotten - even delta's x5 line.

Idea being, I _might_ need it one day (right?) and it may not be
available except as chinese junk.

Thanx
Renata

I have a 6" Jet (made in China) that I'm happy with. If you have shop space
an 8" would be nice. A friend has the 6" Rigid jointer from Home Depot and
he likes it. They are priced around $350 (I think).

I often buy my wood milled 2 sides and 1 edge. I think the charge is 55
cents per board foot. It's cheaper than buying a larger jointer, and it
saves me a lot of work.

The yard I buy from will do it while I wait and there is no set up fee.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I currently possess no jointer and only miss it occasionally.

I'm on and off as a woodworker, and mainly seem to do kitchen cabinets
and such (i.e. plywood, w/solid trim out). (The never ending
kitchen... pics coming soon - I hope).

I keep thinking I'll find time (and one day I will!) to expand my
horizons.

So, whadya think about acquiring an 8" jointer, used, made in usa? I
fear these might become a rarity, and I'm not too happy with the
chinese crap i've gotten - even delta's x5 line.

Idea being, I _might_ need it one day (right?) and it may not be
available except as chinese junk.

Thanx
Renata

Usually Made in the USA (or Canada) is good when it comes to heavy
machines. A used jointer needs to be examined for flatness. Some
tables can acquire a bend due to abuse, etc. An 8" jointer is nice
and a useful table saw companion, I have one and used it several times
today.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message

So, whadya think about acquiring an 8" jointer, used, made in usa? I
fear these might become a rarity, and I'm not too happy with the
chinese crap i've gotten - even delta's x5 line.

Frankly, they are over rated. You've gotten along this far so why spend the
money that can be used on beer and women instead?

Just curious though, where is this jointer? Address or telephone? I just
want to rib the seller about his high price and see how long it takes to
sell it. We'll show him.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Renata" wrote in message

So, whadya think about acquiring an 8" jointer, used, made in usa? I
fear these might become a rarity, and I'm not too happy with the
chinese crap i've gotten - even delta's x5 line.

Frankly, they are over rated. You've gotten along this far so why spend the
money that can be used on beer and women instead?

Ummmm.... Ed..... the OP *is* a woman.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 27, 4:29 pm, " wrote:
On the rare occasions that I buy wide stock, I'll have the dealer face joint me a reference for my planer, or the wood will be cut into narrower parts before jointing with a hand, band, or jigsaw.

There is a less expensive and relatively easy way --- Use a scrub
plane and winding sticks. You only have to level one side fairly close
and then run it through a surface planer.

That's the way I did it for a few years before I was finally couldn't
justify spending the day getting the lumber milled and couldn't resist
the introductory offer on the Griz G0586. I used a jointer plane and a
Sargent 6, but that was the only difference.

It worked, I just never could get the hang of getting it done fast.
Some boards just wouldn't cooperate. I thought I'd get faster over
time but I never did. Finally the projects were piling up and I just
gave up on the planes for that particular task. Now it takes me an
hour or less to square up all the stock and I realize that with the
planes I was getting the stock pretty close to flat and square, but
not quite true. Since I got that jointer, everything in the project
goes faster because the stock's all square up from the getgo.

I'm not saying Joel's way is the wrong way. Just that although I enjoy
using hand planes - those long days I spent prepping the stock were
actually fun - but for some reason I was never able to get the hang of
squaring up stock properly and quickly. I'm okay at it and if the
jointer's down I can do it, but I now know that I'm one of the reasons
they invented those things.

But when there's only one or two pieces I prefer to slap 'em on the
bench and do 'em by hand. It's still fun and it's faster than getting
the jointer station ready. Small shop, y'know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Frankly, they are over rated. You've gotten along this far so why spend
the
money that can be used on beer and women instead?

Ummmm.... Ed..... the OP *is* a woman.

--
Regards,

Hmmmmmmmm, I'm open minded. Wonder if she is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Hmm. That's interesting. So, you're saying the Delta DJs aren't made
in the USA, but Brazil, now Taiwan for the last 10 years?

You should avoid the chinese wedge beds unless you are just looking
for low price.

Curious, most X5 units are made in the USA, what X5 unit were you
dissatisfied with?

Bought the X5 drill press. DELTA service was really really BAD to the
point that I will NEVER (NEVER!) buy a new Delta stationary tool
again. They basically took that attitude - well, if you don't like
it, return it. Before which they tried to convince me it was
perfectly acceptable to have it wobble that much. Before which the
person answering the phone said, "what's a drill press".

The drill bit wobbled noticeably. The local vendor, Skarie in
Baltimore, replaced the entire head. To tell you the truth, I haven't
had the opportunity to really test the new head yet.

But, I did have the opportunity to deal with the holes the old one
drilled. My kitchen cabinets' shelf holes all are oversized from the
wobble. I'm taping the shelf pins so they stay in place. This, from
a unit that is their top of the line, and rather pricey.

And, yes - "Made in China" right on the head. Bee-u-ti-ful. I'm so
happy that they're getting such a bargain making the top of the line
models in China so their brilliant MBA (or whatever) CEO has more $ in
his pockets...
Problem is, most stuff is made there now.

Thanx
Renata

Frank

Idea being, I _might_ need it one day (right?) and it may not be
available except as chinese junk.

Thanx
Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:24:37 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Renata" wrote in message

So, whadya think about acquiring an 8" jointer, used, made in usa? I
fear these might become a rarity, and I'm not too happy with the
chinese crap i've gotten - even delta's x5 line.

Frankly, they are over rated. You've gotten along this far so why spend the
money that can be used on beer and women instead?

Sorry, not my type on both counts. More into men and wine.

Just curious though, where is this jointer? Address or telephone? I just
want to rib the seller about his high price and see how long it takes to
sell it. We'll show him.

Depending on how it goes, maybe I'll share that with you - some day.
;-)

Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, the unit itself. The stands, motors and controls were supplied
from the U.S. factory until about 2004, now they are coming from
China, I think.

Those invicta made units were/are great and there is a big difference
in quality comparing Taiwan to mainland China. Those are still good
units, unless the've been moved to China.

[...]

You're preaching to the choir here. It is unfortunate. You used to
have a choice not so long ago. The good Delta drill presses were made
by Lindquist Machine Company (LMC) in the USA, but I think that
relationship may be over also.

Problem is, most stuff is made there now.

Thanx
Renata

Frank

Idea being, I _might_ need it one day (right?) and it may not be
available except as chinese junk.

Thanx
Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:05:23 -0500, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

-snip-
Those invicta made units were/are great and there is a big difference
in quality comparing Taiwan to mainland China. Those are still good
units, unless the've been moved to China.

-snip-

I believe the X5 drill press I bought a couple years ago is from China
(not Taiwan).

Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

You can edge joint on a router table so pick it up if you will be face
jointing boards.I couldnt do without one, but unless you ("I keep
thinking I'll find time (and one day I will!) to expand my horizons")
expand your horizon you dont need it, for sheet stock.

jointer question Doug Woodworking 8 March 5th 07 02:45 PM
Flushing Combi - Necessity Geoff Lane UK diy 8 November 20th 05 11:23 PM
Jointer Question TJ Woodworking 23 January 14th 05 04:03 PM
Jointer question stoutman Woodworking 9 January 3rd 05 04:07 AM
jointer question Blake McCully Woodworking 9 August 21st 03 03:47 AM