Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default jointer necessity question

Doug Miller wrote:

If it's in good shape, and you have the money to buy it and the space to store
it, snap that puppy right up. You'll be surprised at how useful it turns out
to be.

Ditto.

8" has been the sweet size for me, based on the fact that most of the
lumber I get is 6-8" wide. Most wide stock is either seriously
upcharged or limited availablity. On the rare occasions that I buy wide
stock, I'll have the dealer face joint me a reference for my planer, or
the wood will be cut into narrower parts before jointing with a hand,
band, or jigsaw.

I also like my DJ-20's fence height, which is taller than most smaller
machines, but not as tall as the DJ-30's. I felt the DJ-30 fence
bordered on too tall the few times that I've used a DJ-30.