Posted to rec.woodworking

Default jointer question

Hope you all don't mind me posting 2 questions in a row, but they seem
to hit me in waves. My jointer, only when edge jointing, not face
jointing, has been producing little scallops along the cut. I am
assuming that this is because the blades are not perfectly set. Is
that the reason?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 10:01 am, "Doug" wrote:

Hope you all don't mind me posting 2 questions in a row, but they seem
to hit me in waves. My jointer, only when edge jointing, not face
jointing, has been producing little scallops along the cut. I am
assuming that this is because the blades are not perfectly set. Is
that the reason?

Try moving the fence to a new spot when edge jointing. My guess is
that the blades are dull in that area.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4 Mar 2007 09:45:35 -0800, "Nicky" wrote:

On Mar 4, 10:01 am, "Doug" wrote:
Hope you all don't mind me posting 2 questions in a row, but they seem
to hit me in waves. My jointer, only when edge jointing, not face
jointing, has been producing little scallops along the cut. I am
assuming that this is because the blades are not perfectly set. Is
that the reason?

It does sound like the knives are not set properly, or your feed rate
is too fast.

I'd go with the feed rate as well. I encounter the same thing when I
get in a hurry and zip an edge across the jointer too fast. I rarely
can move the stock that fast when face jointing.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hope you all don't mind me posting 2 questions in a row, but they seem
to hit me in waves. My jointer, only when edge jointing, not face
jointing, has been producing little scallops along the cut. I am
assuming that this is because the blades are not perfectly set. Is
that the reason?

High knife most likely, second choice feed, which will also negate a high
knife. Third choice dull. Dull usually shows some crushed fiber at the
high spots

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 1:40 pm, "George" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

oups.com... Hope you all don't mind me posting 2 questions in a row, but they seem
to hit me in waves. My jointer, only when edge jointing, not face
jointing, has been producing little scallops along the cut. I am
assuming that this is because the blades are not perfectly set. Is
that the reason?

High knife most likely, second choice feed, which will also negate a high
knife. Third choice dull. Dull usually shows some crushed fiber at the
high spots

The knives are brand new. I replaced them yesterday, but the
scalloping continued. So, no dull blades involved.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Slow down the feedrate. There is no way around the scallops. It's the
dynamics of the cutter. Best you can hope for is very small scallops. Used
to see the same thing in slab mill cuts (metal working) before they figured
out that helical blades cut better.

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...

The knives are brand new. I replaced them yesterday, but the
scalloping continued. So, no dull blades involved.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4 Mar 2007 09:01:38 -0800, "Doug" wrote:

Hope you all don't mind me posting 2 questions in a row, but they seem
to hit me in waves. My jointer, only when edge jointing, not face
jointing, has been producing little scallops along the cut. I am
assuming that this is because the blades are not perfectly set. Is
that the reason?

Maybe but it could be technique. Your feed rate might be fast or you
might not be putting enough pressure on your stock to hold it down
tightly. I like having a very slick joiner table which will make
things easier when holding down your stock. Use paste wax or
whatever you like to use on your table saw top.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
bc bc is offline

On Mar 4, 1:10 pm, "Doug" wrote:
On Mar 4, 1:40 pm, "George" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

roups.com... Hope you all don't mind me posting 2 questions in a row, but they seem
to hit me in waves. My jointer, only when edge jointing, not face
jointing, has been producing little scallops along the cut. I am
assuming that this is because the blades are not perfectly set. Is
that the reason?

High knife most likely, second choice feed, which will also negate a high
knife. Third choice dull. Dull usually shows some crushed fiber at the
high spots

The knives are brand new. I replaced them yesterday, but the
scalloping continued. So, no dull blades involved.

I get that when my feed rate is too fast. Slow it down and it will go
away. bc

jointer question marc rosen Woodworking 15 November 3rd 05 08:36 PM
Jointer Question Gerald Lasco Woodworking 21 June 20th 05 10:55 PM
Jointer Question TJ Woodworking 23 January 14th 05 04:03 PM
Jointer question stoutman Woodworking 9 January 3rd 05 04:07 AM
Jointer question Fred McClellan Woodworking 14 September 3rd 03 04:54 PM