TJ

Default Jointer Question

Hi All,
I have a newbie question regarding my stationary Craftsman 6" jointer.
I am trying to square my edges to my planed face, but after about five
3/16" passes one end of the board is significantly narrower than the
other. I have already made sure that the outfeed table is level with
the top of the knives. Even after putting slightly more pressure on the
outfeed end of the wood when feeding it over the bed, I still end up
with a trapezoid after only a few passes. Any idea of what I'm doing
wrong? What is the proper technique for jointing the edges of a long
piece of wood?

Thanks,
TJ

Edwin Pawlowski

"TJ" wrote in message
Hi All,
I have a newbie question regarding my stationary Craftsman 6" jointer. I
am trying to square my edges to my planed face, but after about five 3/16"
passes one end of the board is significantly narrower than the other.

You say edges, as in squaring both edges? If so, that is the problem You
don't square edges on a jointer. You make one edge straight. then you put
that straight edge against the fence of your tablesaw and cut the other edge
parallel to it.

I'd take off less than 3/16" also.

damian penney

Yeah you have it the wrong way around. Jointer gets an edge flat and an
adjoining face 90 degrees to the previously jointed edge and then the
planer gets the unjoined faces parallel so do that last.

TJ

damian penney wrote:
Yeah you have it the wrong way around. Jointer gets an edge flat and an
adjoining face 90 degrees to the previously jointed edge and then the
planer gets the unjoined faces parallel so do that last.

Thanks for the advice. I want to make sure that I understand though.
Is this the correct sequence?

1) Run rough Face #1 over jointer (less than 3/16")
2) Run rough Edge #1 over jointer with smooth Face #1 along fence
3) Run rough Face #2 through planer with smooth Face #1 laying down
4) Rip rough Edge #2 on tablesaw

How do you smooth Edge #2 after it's been ripped by the tablesaw?
Typically that leaves kerf marks on that edge.

It's my understanding that a paper-thin pass or two with the jointer on
edge #2 should straighten it out. Or, you could use the old "Bailey #7
with shooting board" approach. That seems to have worked well for the
past few hundred years :-)

-Phil Crow

Cherokee-Ltd

"TJ" wrote in message

1) Run rough Face #1 over jointer (less than 3/16")
2) Run rough Edge #1 over jointer with smooth Face #1 along fence
3) Run rough Face #2 through planer with smooth Face #1 laying down
4) Rip rough Edge #2 on tablesaw

How do you smooth Edge #2 after it's been ripped by the tablesaw?
Typically that leaves kerf marks on that edge.

1-4 is correct.
If you are experiencing blade marks on your rip, consider a better quality
blade and check you blade/fence alignment. I have a junk saw with a middle
of the road rip blade and I can get a pretty impressive rip if I set it up
right. Failing that, you can run the ripped edge back through your jointer
to clean it up. Set it up so the blade is just barely skimming the surface.

-Brian

Doug Miller

In article , TJ wrote:
damian penney wrote:
Yeah you have it the wrong way around. Jointer gets an edge flat and an
adjoining face 90 degrees to the previously jointed edge and then the
planer gets the unjoined faces parallel so do that last.

Thanks for the advice. I want to make sure that I understand though.
Is this the correct sequence?

1) Run rough Face #1 over jointer (less than 3/16")

*MUCH* less than 3/16". I normally remove no more than 1/32 when jointing
faces, and 1/16 on edges.
2) Run rough Edge #1 over jointer with smooth Face #1 along fence
3) Run rough Face #2 through planer with smooth Face #1 laying down
4) Rip rough Edge #2 on tablesaw

Yep. Doesn't have to be that exact sequence, though. Step 1 comes first, and
step 2 must come before step 4. But you can do these in the order 1-2-4-3 or
1-3-2-4 also, and get the same results.

How do you smooth Edge #2 after it's been ripped by the tablesaw?
Typically that leaves kerf marks on that edge.

Use a better blade, and/or tune your table saw properly, and that will no
longer be an issue.

--
Regards,

George

"TJ" wrote in message
damian penney wrote:
Yeah you have it the wrong way around. Jointer gets an edge flat and an
adjoining face 90 degrees to the previously jointed edge and then the
planer gets the unjoined faces parallel so do that last.

Thanks for the advice. I want to make sure that I understand though.
Is this the correct sequence?

1) Run rough Face #1 over jointer (less than 3/16")
2) Run rough Edge #1 over jointer with smooth Face #1 along fence
3) Run rough Face #2 through planer with smooth Face #1 laying down
4) Rip rough Edge #2 on tablesaw

How do you smooth Edge #2 after it's been ripped by the tablesaw?
Typically that leaves kerf marks on that edge.

1) Sight the board to determine high spots.
2) Remove high spots with plane or use jointer by placing the low portion of
the face over the knives and maintaining pressure over the high. Even works
for opposite corners. Use your push blocks.
3f) Take approximately flat board to thickness planer. Run first pass
flattest down. Don't need a square edge, or even a straight one yet, and if
the board is marginal, you might be able to squeak through with a hidden
rough spot or two, depending on project.

Now do the edge, using 1 and 2,

3e) Rip for parallel against the edge created, cleaning with a pass at the
jointer if you like.

If you want to rip the board prior to surfacing, you use 1 and 2 with the
best fit face against the fence prior to the rip, then surface. REMEMBER TO
JOIN THE STRAIGHT EDGES FOR 90 after surfacing!!!!

Mike G

In article , says...
Hi All,
I have a newbie question regarding my stationary Craftsman 6" jointer.
I am trying to square my edges to my planed face, but after about five
3/16" passes one end of the board is significantly narrower than the
other. I have already made sure that the outfeed table is level with
the top of the knives. Even after putting slightly more pressure on the
outfeed end of the wood when feeding it over the bed, I still end up
with a trapezoid after only a few passes. Any idea of what I'm doing
wrong? What is the proper technique for jointing the edges of a long
piece of wood?

Thanks,
TJ

No big Mystery here. Your problem is that you are confusing the job of a
jointer with the job a a thickness planner.

The purpose of the jointer is to make one face flat so the other three
sides can be referenced to it. The jointer is then used to make one edge
straight and at ninety degrees to that reference face. This is done by
putting the reference face against the fence and jointing the edge.

From there the second edge can be cut on the table saw with the
reference face on the table and the reference edge against the fence.

A planer or hand plane is then used to make the second face flat and
parallel to the reference face by putting that face down on the planers
surface.

Passing a piece of stock repeatedly over a jointer is going to do
nothing to make the faces parallel to each other. It will only make the
board thinner and accentuate any taper already existing.

Tip, take no more then 1/32" cuts. Make a squiggly line from side to
side and the length of the face or edge to be jointed then pass the
board over the cutters until the line is gone. When that occurs the face
and/or edge is as flat as it is going to get. Now move on to the next
steps.

Further tip. If you are working with S2S or S4S stock make sure to make
a mark on the face and edge you have jointed. On rough lumber it's easy
to tell which side and edge you have milled, on surfaced stock it isn't
always quite as easy. By marking the milled faces you know which to put
against fences and saw/planer beds for proper referencing.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

www.heirloom-woods.net
Leon

"TJ" wrote in message
damian penney wrote:
Yeah you have it the wrong way around. Jointer gets an edge flat and an
adjoining face 90 degrees to the previously jointed edge and then the
planer gets the unjoined faces parallel so do that last.

Thanks for the advice. I want to make sure that I understand though. Is
this the correct sequence?

1) Run rough Face #1 over jointer (less than 3/16")
2) Run rough Edge #1 over jointer with smooth Face #1 along fence
3) Run rough Face #2 through planer with smooth Face #1 laying down
4) Rip rough Edge #2 on tablesaw

Correct

How do you smooth Edge #2 after it's been ripped by the tablesaw?
Typically that leaves kerf marks on that edge.

The same way you would if the jointer leaves a rough edge. You fix the
problem. There is a problem if your saw is leaving tooth marks on the edge
of the board. The problem may not be much at all and in that case lightly
scrape, hand plane or sand the wood. Typically I do not have to address the
edge after ripping.

Lawrence Wasserman

In article , TJ wrote:
Hi All,
I have a newbie question regarding my stationary Craftsman 6" jointer.
I am trying to square my edges to my planed face, but after about five
3/16" passes one end of the board is significantly narrower than the
other. I have already made sure that the outfeed table is level with
the top of the knives. Even after putting slightly more pressure on the
outfeed end of the wood when feeding it over the bed, I still end up
with a trapezoid after only a few passes. Any idea of what I'm doing
wrong? What is the proper technique for jointing the edges of a long
piece of wood?

Thanks,
TJ

http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Joint one edge and rip the other on the tablesaw. If you do need to
clean up the ripped edge after sawing, take no more than 1/32" off
with the jointer.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Stephen M

1) Run rough Face #1 over jointer (less than 3/16")

Unless I am misunderstanding you, try way less than 3/16. (like 1/32) and
take as many passes as necessary to get things flat and smooth. On a
naturally flat, rough-cut board, that could be 2 passes. A twisty one could
require 6 passes.

2) Run rough Edge #1 over jointer with smooth Face #1 along fence
3) Run rough Face #2 through planer with smooth Face #1 laying down
4) Rip rough Edge #2 on tablesaw

Yup.

-Steve

toller

I don't disagree with anything anyone else has said, however...
If you are careful about the wood you buy, you can usually skip face
planing. A planer will take care of cupping on 4/4 (unless perhaps you have
a more power planer than mine), so you just have to make sure your wood is
reasonably flat.

TJ wrote:
What is the proper technique for jointing the edges of a long
piece of wood?

Thanks,
TJ

To get a straight edge, it helps me a tremendous amount to have
auxiliary in-feed and outfeed support.
Sam

Nate Perkins

TJ wrote in :

Hi All,
I have a newbie question regarding my stationary Craftsman 6" jointer.
I am trying to square my edges to my planed face, but after about five
3/16" passes one end of the board is significantly narrower than the
other. I have already made sure that the outfeed table is level with
the top of the knives. Even after putting slightly more pressure on
the outfeed end of the wood when feeding it over the bed, I still end
up with a trapezoid after only a few passes. Any idea of what I'm
doing wrong? What is the proper technique for jointing the edges of a
long piece of wood?

As others mentioned, 3/16" is pretty heavy for a jointer cut. I usually
cut at 1/16" or less in depth.

But the real problem might be that you are introducing taper because your
outfeed table on the jointer is high relative to your knives. You want to
set the outfeed table just high enough that you don't have snipe on your
boards. Here's an article that may be of help:
http://www.northwestwoodworking.com/.../article1.html
(Check out the diagrams about halfway through the article)
Bob G.

..

A jointer is a finesse machine demanding a light touch, not a
thicknessing machine meant to scrape off lots of stock real fast.

=========================
I have owned and used the same 6 inch Rockwell Jointer for almost 40
years now.... AND I will admit that it really did take me a long time
to master using the machine....

Looks simple... works simple... and it is simple

However your words...LIGHT TOUCH.. is the reason for my reply...

Very Very TRUE.... My proplems were solved only after LEARNING that I
only had to keep enough downward pressure on the outfeed end to keep
the board flat and I wanted to use as little downward pressure on the
infeed side as possible...

When I was learning I put way tooooo much downward pressure on both
ends ...The weight of the lumber should be enough to keep the board in
contact with the table... LIGHT TOUCH.... ! Yep you are right

Bob Griffiths
damian penney

Hey, that's what I said! Albeit less windy

damian penney

That makes perfect sense, definitely something to remember. I'd imagine
it's not quite as important when edge jointing as you are unlikely to
be able to flex the board, but for face jointing too much pressure
could easily screw things up.

Duane Bozarth

Mike G wrote:

... there is absolutely no reason to apply more
pressure then required to move the board over the cutters. Application
of pressure should be concentrated on keeping the newly jointed face
flat against the fence.

And, keeping knives sharp will reduce the need for and the tendency to
push...

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Worked on my grizzly jointer JohnT. Woodworking 1 April 25th 04 12:44 AM
A jointer saga part III: the end jo4hn Woodworking 30 April 22nd 04 04:21 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM