Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes Lowell Holmes is offline

Default jointer necessity question

snip .

So, whadya think about acquiring an 8" jointer, used, made in usa? I
fear these might become a rarity, and I'm not too happy with the
chinese crap i've gotten - even delta's x5 line.

Idea being, I _might_ need it one day (right?) and it may not be
available except as chinese junk.

Thanx
Renata

I have a 6" Jet (made in China) that I'm happy with. If you have shop space
an 8" would be nice. A friend has the 6" Rigid jointer from Home Depot and
he likes it. They are priced around $350 (I think).

I often buy my wood milled 2 sides and 1 edge. I think the charge is 55
cents per board foot. It's cheaper than buying a larger jointer, and it
saves me a lot of work.

The yard I buy from will do it while I wait and there is no set up fee.