Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Most dangerous tool in shop

RonB wrote in
:

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 9:59:17 AM UTC-6, RonB wrote:

Yeah - I approach the grinder pretty much as I approach the table
saw. I try to keep my body away from the plane of the wheel. Even
there you can get buggered.

Come to think of it, I would also add radial arm saw to the list of
tools that can hurt you if you have a thought lapse.

I'm not going to pick on the RAS only:
Any tool that involves spinning a blade can hurt you right quick. I've got
a Dremel Saw Max that spins a little 4" blade. Sure wouldn't take very
long for it to hurt you.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2015 8:48 PM, RonB wrote:
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 9:59:17 AM UTC-6, RonB wrote:
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 4:26:52 AM UTC-6, Puckdropper at dot wrote:
RonB
:

*snip*

But I also discovered, also several years ago, that a wood lathe can
be a sleeping dog. I mounted a glued up rather heavy piece of stock
made from 2x4 to make a simple over sized dowel for a project. I
started the machine at about 300rpm to round it up and after about ten
seconds I was hit smack in the middle of the full face shield. Thank
goodness I was wearing it. I never saw the stock leave the lathe. I
remember impact and a stinging sensation. I looked down and the
work-piece was draped across my arms that were still extended in the
working position; and I realized there was blood on the shield. The
piece had split out allowing it to fly out of the lathe and as best I
could figure it bounced off of the bed and then up to the shield. The
flexible face shield had deflected into my face striking my glasses.
The stinging sensation and blood were from the left nose-piece and the
rims of my glasses scraping my nose and eyebrow. Minor abrasions but
thank god I was wearing the shield. two of the four snaps that attach
the shield to the hood were busted loose. Scared the #$@% out of me
and I never mounted another work piece without a good inspection.

It didn't take long to learn to always wear a face shield (get a good
one) when turning the lathe on. I've been hit in the shield twice since
getting my lathe.

I saw pictures of a grinder wheel break up, and a description of what was
going on. That was enough for me to decide not to stand near the grinder
as it was spinning up. Imagine a machine throwing rocks at 3600 RPM.

Bill hit it on the head. The brain. The table saw accident was a
moment of carelessness after I turned the machine off. The lathe
incident might not have been avoidable. But as I said, I always check
my stock carefully before mounting it on the lathe.

RonB

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Yeah - I approach the grinder pretty much as I approach the table saw. I try to keep my body away from the plane of the wheel. Even there you can get buggered.

Come to think of it, I would also add radial arm saw to the list of tools that can hurt you if you have a thought lapse.

I wouldn't dismiss the ubiquitous "box-cutter" either. (don't ask)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Not so much as the robotic arms that I use from behind a concrete
windowed wall to operate the TS. ;~)

You're actually in a bunker 3 miles away, in case of severe kickback then?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:54:18 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper at dot wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Not so much as the robotic arms that I use from behind a concrete
windowed wall to operate the TS. ;~)

You're actually in a bunker 3 miles away, in case of severe kickback then?

Puckdropper

I've been teaching my sons all about table saw safety. I think they've grasped the basic concepts...

http://cdn1.thewoodwhisperer.com/wp-...woodshop_1.png

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2015 1:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:54:18 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper at dot wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Not so much as the robotic arms that I use from behind a concrete
windowed wall to operate the TS. ;~)

You're actually in a bunker 3 miles away, in case of severe kickback then?

Puckdropper

I've been teaching my sons all about table saw safety. I think they've grasped the basic concepts...

http://cdn1.thewoodwhisperer.com/wp-...woodshop_1.png

Yeah! But looking at that picture, there are some that teach to push
the wood through like that. IMHO, while you are not in direct line of a
possible kickback you are certainly increasing the chances of a kick
back. I am of the opinion of that you should be holding down as much as
pushing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 6:06:15 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

It's the other kid with his face in direct line of the kickback that I "like". Obviously (at least to me) that picture was staged.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2015 5:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yeah I understood.LOL It was funny.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 19:48:06 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

[...]

Uh, oh! Here we go again! ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:05:53 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/5/2015 1:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:54:18 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper at dot wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Not so much as the robotic arms that I use from behind a concrete
windowed wall to operate the TS. ;~)

You're actually in a bunker 3 miles away, in case of severe kickback then?

Puckdropper

I've been teaching my sons all about table saw safety. I think they've grasped the basic concepts...

http://cdn1.thewoodwhisperer.com/wp-...woodshop_1.png

Yeah! But looking at that picture, there are some that teach to push
the wood through like that.

With the wrong hand?

IMHO, while you are not in direct line of a
possible kickback you are certainly increasing the chances of a kick
back. I am of the opinion of that you should be holding down as much as
pushing.

Sure, he's holding down but he's *not* pushing. I stand to the side,
behind the fence, as well but push with my left hand while
guiding/holding with my right. If in doubt, I'll get out the
featherboards.

I also think the kid in the back is trying to give the shop teacher a
heart attack, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I always stand to the opposite side of the blade than the fence.
Typically guide with left hand and feed with right. Assuming the fence
in to the right of the blade. I can get a great grip on the wood this way.
FWIW I have been hit by a flying piece of wood even when on the side of
the fence away from the blade.

My experience is that nowhere is safe if the piece gets loose and thrown
by the blade. Straight back is not always what happens. I find that if
you can better control the wood the less the chance of getting a kick
back in the first place. YMMV.

I also think the kid in the back is trying to give the shop teacher a
heart attack, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

How the hell did the board cross the fence? You did something *very*
wrong (as in more than one failure).

My experience is that nowhere is safe if the piece gets loose and thrown
by the blade. Straight back is not always what happens. I find that if
you can better control the wood the less the chance of getting a kick
back in the first place. YMMV.

Safe is always relative. The house could get hit by a meteorite just
as your board kicks...

I also think the kid in the back is trying to give the shop teacher a
heart attack, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 6:06:15 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Yeah! But looking at that picture, there are some that teach to push
the wood through like that. IMHO, while you are not in direct line
of a possible kickback you are certainly increasing the chances of a
kick back. I am of the opinion of that you should be holding down as
much as pushing.

It's the other kid with his face in direct line of the kickback that I
"like". Obviously (at least to me) that picture was staged.

He's got the most important part well back...

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2015 9:19 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 19:26:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well first don't assume that the whole board will come at you, it could
be defect pieces in the wood that come loose, like a knot. In my case I
was cutting a new lattice panel, One of the small cut off pieces flew
back at me at about a 45 degree angle from the blade. Because it was a
4x8 panel I had to stand to the left of the fence to feed, I had a
helper supporting the panel from the opposite side. The farther the
fence from the blade the more likely the fence will not prevent a
projectile from coming straight back.

My experience is that nowhere is safe if the piece gets loose and thrown
by the blade. Straight back is not always what happens. I find that if
you can better control the wood the less the chance of getting a kick
back in the first place. YMMV.

Safe is always relative. The house could get hit by a meteorite just
as your board kicks...

Exactly, safety rules and practices are not a guarantee.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to DerbyDad03 , Timdiana_James wrote:
teamarrows wrote:

It looks like no one has been hurt in over 11 years.

Yeah super zombie thread, I beg your pardon - kinda stumbled across you
folks and wanted to tag myself into the forum, shamelessly Recently a
new homeowner and handyman/carpenter by trade, this seemed like an
excellent place to hang out

And I managed to whack myself with a rebounding wheelbarrow today chucking
it into the van in a temper tantrum - had to learn an irritating and
slightly humbling lesson this morning, so the most dangerous tool was once
again the human brain, aided and abetted by physics, a poor aim and a
wheelbarrow.