Sweet Sawdust

Default Most dangerous tool in shop

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

Gfretwell

This must come from a person who doesn't yet own a table saw.

I tend to agree. It really still depends on the operator and how safe they
work.
A sander will give you some nasty "road rash" a table saw will take off body
parts. Personally I think the hand held circular saw causes a lot more terrible
accidents but that is because people tend to get a lot more reckless with them.
My wife is the the construction business and these accidents are pretty common.
They also have a lot of people "nailing" themselves with framing nailers. One
guy managed to put a 16 penny nail in the roof of his mouth and didn't really
know what happened until they got him to the ER.
Bill

Sweet Sawdust asked
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

The human brain, because when it stops working whether due to haste,
exhaustion, or any other cause everything else can and often will to hell.
For instance a few days ago while cutting rabbets in picture frames with a
straight trim router bit my dust chute became clogged. I turned off the router,
waited for the bit to stop spinning and not wanting to have to redo my fence
setup I just slid my finger into the slot to clean it out unfortunately I
grazed the bit and have a nice 5/16" cut(as measured with calipers to prove to
SWMBO that it was not that bad). Blood in white oak is not a pretty sight,
bright side is the table top was freshly waxed so no blood stains there.

Bill
GTO69RA4

You're question doesn't quite have an answer the way it's phrased. I haven't
hurt myself any of my tools within recent memory, but it doesn't mean they're
all at the same danger level.

I've always put the drill press, belt grinder, and scroll saw in the "safest
tool" catagory. The table saw, shaper, and jointer are the ones to watch out
for. Flying and impaled body parts can ruin a good day.

GTO(John)

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

D K Woods

On 27 Aug 2003 04:40:38 GMT, GTO69RA4 wrote:

You're question doesn't quite have an answer the way it's phrased. I haven't
hurt myself any of my tools within recent memory, but it doesn't mean they're
all at the same danger level.

I've always put the drill press, belt grinder, and scroll saw in the "safest
tool" catagory. The table saw, shaper, and jointer are the ones to watch out
for. Flying and impaled body parts can ruin a good day.

GTO(John)

I'd put a lathe in the "safest tools" category too. There's something
comforting about a tool that lets you hold the sharp tool stationary while
the wood does the spinning for you.

david
--
It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
learned English -- up to 50 words used in correct context -- no human being

AJS

"Sweet Sawdust"
wrote in message ...

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,

For me, it has to be the humble screwdriver.
Three times over the last 25 years, I've put screwdrivers straight through
one of my fingers, usually when (mis)using one to remove a circlip.
I did eventually learn from this repeated painful experience and bought a
pair
of circlip pliers.

Now, if you had asked which tool has the most potential for danger,
that would have to be the table saw but luckily, I've not found a way
of removing circlips with the TS yet

David Binkowski

I have to admit. I get very giggly when I see someone using a
sharp pen-knife, or screwdriver to force something. Its not
funny exactly, but a feeling of hysteria sets in when I see their
hand begin to tremble, jamming the the small metal object at
whatever they're working on. I can't NOT watch it, but I feel
like covering my eyes still.

And invariably it ends up with the implement slipping forward,
and the person grabs one hand or the other tightly to stop the
bleeding. Sometimes it just results in a bad blood blister or
torn off finger nail...

Rule of thumb. If you have ANYTHING in your hand that
you are applying force to, and any part of you, or the tool
begins trembling, start over and find a better way...

So I installed it on Linux...
"AJS" wrote in message

"Sweet Sawdust"
wrote in message ...

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,

For me, it has to be the humble screwdriver.
Three times over the last 25 years, I've put screwdrivers straight through
one of my fingers, usually when (mis)using one to remove a circlip.
I did eventually learn from this repeated painful experience and bought a
pair
of circlip pliers.

Now, if you had asked which tool has the most potential for danger,
that would have to be the table saw but luckily, I've not found a way
of removing circlips with the TS yet

Scott Lurndal

"David Binkowski" writes:

I have to admit. I get very giggly when I see someone using a
sharp pen-knife, or screwdriver to force something. Its not
funny exactly, but a feeling of hysteria sets in when I see their
hand begin to tremble, jamming the the small metal object at
whatever they're working on. I can't NOT watch it, but I feel
like covering my eyes still.

Paramedics showed up across the street a couple of weeks ago. They
treated the young man (early 20's) for a puncture wound to the
inner thigh (yeah, about 2" away from the jewels). Turns out he
was trying to separate frozen ravioli with a knife.

scott
Traves W. Coppock

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:06:06 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,

snip

i would have to agree with Bill who posted on this one,,,
the most dangerous thing in my shop is the operator of the tool...
IE: me

if i don't keep my mind on what i am doing all the time, i am
dangerous.

of course, my wife says if i had half a brain i would be
dangerous..but that's another matter all together.

Traves

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Sweet Sawdust wrote:
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

Worst single injury: a back saw. holding on to a board, to 'stabilize' it in
a light-duty vice, while hand-sawing, and "didn't notice" that my hand was in
the path of the blade. Untill it was about 1/16" into the -bone- of the 1st
joint of my finger, that is. No pain, very little blood -- only about a 1.5"
long scar to show for it. oh, yeah. 35+ years ago.

most injuries: the paper I have plans, cut-lists, "whatever" listed on
(paper cuts)
Second place: hammer. hit the nail right on the thumb, or equivalent.

I've -never- had an injury with a power tool.

Andy Dingley

wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received,

Who cares ? I've not yet sawn an arm off, I know some of my machines
could easily do it. The _potential_ for injury is more important than
its past history.

For past injuries, it's my chain blocks. Dropped some girder on my
foot once and squashed a foot flat.

Traves W. Coppock

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:07:14 +0100, Andy Dingley
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

For past injuries, it's my chain blocks. Dropped some girder on my
foot once and squashed a foot flat.

That's gonna leave a mark

Traves
J&KCopeland

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based

on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you

have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

In thirty years of futzing around in the shop, I've had one minor accident
with the table saw. However, if the total number of painful experiences is
to be believed, the trusty old hammer should have a skull and crossbones
etched on it.

James...

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

wrote:

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

You would consider a sander more dangerous than potential amputation
via power saw? Not to mention kick back.

Do you actually participate in the activity of woodworking?

Barry

Mike Hide

Potentially the most dangerous tool in the shop is either the table saw or
more likely the shaper . Free handing a complex piece with a cutter inches
away from your fingers, with three HP and goodness knows how much torque
powering it is to say the least disconcerting if not bloody scary.

In particular when using a collar trying to get the piece on the collar
sometimes is difficult enough where you rely on your own strength and
fortitude to fight the Machine before the collar can be utilized to take the
load.

Avoiding accidents on this type of machine involves careful planning
beforehand and intense concentration when use .mjh
--
mike hide

"CW" wrote in message
Do you actually read the questions asked?
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ."

wrote
in message ...

You would consider a sander more dangerous than potential amputation
via power saw? Not to mention kick back.

Do you actually participate in the activity of woodworking?

Barry

Doug Miller

In article Cg83b.275593$o%2.125725@sccrnsc02, "Mike Hide" wrote:
Potentially the most dangerous tool in the shop is either the table saw or
more likely the shaper . Free handing a complex piece with a cutter inches
away from your fingers, with three HP and goodness knows how much torque
powering it is to say the least disconcerting if not bloody scary.

In particular when using a collar trying to get the piece on the collar
sometimes is difficult enough where you rely on your own strength and
fortitude to fight the Machine before the collar can be utilized to take the
load.

Avoiding accidents on this type of machine involves careful planning
beforehand and intense concentration when use .mjh

Agreed 100%. After reading the cautions in the owner's manual for my shaper, I
concluded that anyone who reads that, and is not a bit scared of what the tool
can do, is not sensible enough to use it.

--
Regards,

Frank Ketchum

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based

on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you

have
heard from other people.

I think the tool with the most potential is my tablesaw, but since you
phrased the question that way, the tools that have caused me the most pain
in my shop are clearly my golf clubs.

Frank

Traves W. Coppock

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:54:14 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based

on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you

have
heard from other people.

I think the tool with the most potential is my tablesaw, but since you
phrased the question that way, the tools that have caused me the most pain
in my shop are clearly my golf clubs.

you golf in your shop? wow i wish i had your floor space
Hitch

Clearly, he has the same limited space we all have. That's why gofing in
the shop causes so much pain (boing, boing, boing, ouch).
Jim Mc Namara

Although I've had the typical scraped knuckles, finger tips, etc. from a
belt sander, I believe the table saw has the most potential. There seems to
be a lot of "variables" in it's use (set up, blade height, etc.) It's the
only tool I've been fortunate enough to only have a close call with - cut
the side of my finger off at the tip 4 years ago (and it still causes me
problems although it was very minor.)

However, if someone isn't being careful, they can all become the "most
dangerous." You did hear about the guy who cut himself with a bandsaw . .
.. didn't you?

Jim

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based

on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you

have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

Silvan

Jim Mc Namara wrote:

However, if someone isn't being careful, they can all become the "most
dangerous." You did hear about the guy who cut himself with a bandsaw .
. . didn't you?

Yeah, with the 1 tpi blade. Yeeeeowch!!!!!!!!!!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17375 Approximate word count: 521250

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Sweet Sawdust wrote:
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

Razor knife

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Ward Cleaver

Lawrence Wasserman wrote in rec.woodworking

In article ,
Sweet Sawdust wrote:
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,
based on the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on
what you have heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small
wood pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press
same reason.

The only accident I have had so far, knock wood, is a tiny little piece
kicked back by the TS that hit me in the side and left small bruise and
scrape. But then I AM a newbie and just need more time probably.
HarryM

. 150...

Sweet Sawdust wrote:
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,
based on the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on
what you have heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small
wood pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press
same reason.

I lost the tips of five fingers in 1958 to the jointer. My fault. Removed
the guard to flat plane a section of a checkerboard made of 2x2 squares of
walnut and maple. Now, one of these fingers is stiff, and I have cut it two
more times -- table saw and router table -- because of the stiffness. I
also have scars from the drill press [nothing serious, but a friend lost a
finger when the bit caught in a steel bar he was drilling and became a
propellor]. But then, I also have an old scar on my belly from a pet
rabbit, so maybe I scar easily. harrym

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...
Well, while I have no SERIOUS disasters
to report (although I can report that it is a BAD
idea to whip the cut end of a nylon rope by
heating it to melting point, then, absent-mindedly
starting to squeeze it with one's ungloved hand)
it has been my observation that *I* (directly,
and, indirectly any human) in the shop are often
the most dangerous tools.
And I mean that in the best possible
sense.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Wade Lippman

to report (although I can report that it is a BAD
idea to whip the cut end of a nylon rope by
heating it to melting point, then, absent-mindedly
starting to squeeze it with one's ungloved hand)

Thank you for admitting that; I thought I was the only person dumb enough to
have done it.

BigJoe

My table saw...and the idiot that turned it on. :-)

--
Be sure to check out Joe's and Betty's webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html
"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based

on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you

have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

Rich Stern

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received,

1. Knives that use razor blade edges, such as x-acto and retractables.

2. Everything else.

As I get older, I gain more respect for the fact that injuries only take a
slight lapse in vigilence.

My last significant injury came from a 13.2v cordless drill and a standard 1/8"
drill bit. The bit was a little dull, I pressed a little too hard, and in a
blink, it snapped and the resulting slip put the remainder of the bit all the
way through my left index finger near the knuckle. Looked kinda stupid
fumbling for the reverse on the drill so I could back the bit out of my finger.

Even battery powered tools can be dangerous.

Rich S.
Ben Siders

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:56:02 +0000, Rich Stern wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received,

1. Knives that use razor blade edges, such as x-acto and retractables.

2. Everything else.

As I get older, I gain more respect for the fact that injuries only take a
slight lapse in vigilence.

My last significant injury came from a 13.2v cordless drill and a standard 1/8"
drill bit. The bit was a little dull, I pressed a little too hard, and in a
blink, it snapped and the resulting slip put the remainder of the bit all the
way through my left index finger near the knuckle. Looked kinda stupid
fumbling for the reverse on the drill so I could back the bit out of my finger.

Even battery powered tools can be dangerous.

Rich S.

I've only been doing this for a few months, and I've already had several
accidents in the shop, and only my safety glasses saved me from serious
injury and possibly a lost eye.

#1. A buddy was drilling and he hadn't put
the bit into the chuck right and as soon as he applied any pressure, the
bit snapped and hit me square in the face. Specifically, the eye. My
safety glasses took the hit and when I went to pick the bit up off the
floor it was so hot it burned my finger.

#2. Same buddy was doing a cut with a reciprocating saw on some scrap.
There was a nail in it that he didn't know/forgot about and he didn't have
the right kind of blade in the saw. It got to the nail and the saw blade
snapped and flew across the room. Luckily it didn't hit anybody.

#3. I was doing some brief chiselling tasks the other day and figured I
didn't need to clamp the piece down, I could just hold it with my hand for
these few little cuts. Wrong. The chisel slipped and now I've got a
chisel-width scar on my wrist.

#4. I was trying to drill a drywall screw and had the drill on reverse. I
had some stubborn knotholes to get through and rather than do a pilot hole
I decided to let the screw do the work. I leaned into the drill and
turned it on and it slipped off the screw and landed on the back of my
hand, which I was using to hold the screw up. So stupid. Didn't even
break the skin, luckily.

I wear my safety glasses pretty much all the time unless I'm just laying
something out. I'm a big dude and my body heat tends to fog them up, so I
wear them during cuts, drilling, hammering, etc, and remove them to just
line things up, clamp, etc. I also wear hearing protection during
anything moderately loud. I've got some hearing loss already from a
decade full of rock concerts and garage band practice, I don't need any
more of it to go.
Kelby

My grandfather and my father-in-law each lost two fingers on jointers.

Me, I've learned a neat trick --- although the blades on those
jointers, table saws, planers, and band saws tend move quickly, they
never actually go anywhere! Which means that if you don't put your
fingers near them, they can't get you! Push sticks and feather boards
are beautiful things. They have successfully kept all my digits
intact.

But I have dropped a few tools and heavy pieces of lumber on my toes.
I have a bunch of black toenails to prove it. (They eventually grow
out, but I bang them again and get new black spots on my toenails.)
So for me, the most dangerous thing in my shop is my sandals. I could
have eliminated all of my shop injuries over the years ('cept for a
few slivers) simply by wearing my boots.
Silvan

Kelby wrote:

But I have dropped a few tools and heavy pieces of lumber on my toes.
I have a bunch of black toenails to prove it. (They eventually grow
out, but I bang them again and get new black spots on my toenails.)
So for me, the most dangerous thing in my shop is my sandals. I could
have eliminated all of my shop injuries over the years ('cept for a
few slivers) simply by wearing my boots.

Me too. I have a tiny sliver of swarf embedded somewhere deep inside my
left foot, and an ugly place on my right foot where I dropped not one, not
two, but three box end wrenches off the workbench and right onto my foot.

I should definitely wear boots in the shop, but I have to wear boots
professionally, and I tend to wear my comfortable shoes--sandals or
mocasins--at home, logic be damned. Putting on my boots to go to the shop
feels too much like work.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17412 Approximate word count: 522360

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:36:59 -0400, Silvan
pixelated:

I should definitely wear boots in the shop, but I have to wear boots
professionally, and I tend to wear my comfortable shoes--sandals or
mocasins--at home, logic be damned. Putting on my boots to go to the shop
feels too much like work.

Lace up some steeltoed shoes for slip-on use and get
the benefit of both safety and convenient comfort.

Or you could always tack 1" medium-density strips of
foam to the top of your sandals, Sport.

- - -
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!

Tim Douglass

wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

I vote for the loose nut running things.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com