Old October 17th 03, 08:36 PM
Steve

Default How do you adjust the cutter bit on Aloris Tool Holders

How is the degree above centerline adjusted on Aloris type quick
change tool holders? Do you just adjust the toolholder and then the
toolbit is say... 5 degress above centerline but is still
perpendicular to the ways?I am asking because I am getting ready to
buy one after everyones suggestions and on the lantern type you set
the 5 degrees above centerline for mild steel by adjusting the tool
holder in the post with the rocker. This puts the tool at an angle to
the ways. Does it make a difference as long it is the proper amount of
degrees above center line for the material being cut whether it is
perpendicular or at an angle? It seems that perpendicular would be
much more beneficial. Thanks for any help. -Steve

Old October 17th 03, 09:33 PM
PrecisionMachinisT

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
How is the degree above centerline adjusted on Aloris type quick
change tool holders? Do you just adjust the toolholder and then the
toolbit is say... 5 degress above centerline but is still
perpendicular to the ways?I am asking because I am getting ready to
buy one after everyones suggestions and on the lantern type you set
the 5 degrees above centerline for mild steel by adjusting the tool
holder in the post with the rocker. This puts the tool at an angle to
the ways. Does it make a difference as long it is the proper amount of
degrees above center line for the material being cut whether it is
perpendicular or at an angle? It seems that perpendicular would be
much more beneficial. Thanks for any help. -Steve

Steve,

The most common setup is to simply put the tool tip on center, and if any
top rakes are desired the tool topside of the toolbit is ground to suit.

As to the brazed toolbits, they are just put on center and the top rakes are
zero, unless the tool is designed with built-in rake......

Now with all that said :

========

( BEGIN SELF LESS SALES PLUG )

We had made up quite a few of the BXA 2 style holders in our shop during
slow times to sell on ebay and I got maybe 30 or so left.....I just mainly
got tired of all the hassle of dealing with the paperwork and emails ect.
involved with the ebay sales.......

Very nice tools and CNC machined on critical areas with light surface grind
elsewhere for appearance.......4130 American steel....The finish is hot oil
and they are NOT hardened.....

I think she has em listed for 22 bucks each plus shipping......

We have sold close to a hundred of em over the last couple years and so far
not had a single complaint....

I know at least a couple folks on this board have purchased from us and
likely there are others as well-- Im not gonna get into name
dropping.......let em step up to the plate if they like and give a frank
assessment of the quality on their own accord if they feel so inclined......

Anyways......

If anyone is interested drop me an email if you want more info....

Oh, and heres a hotlink to a ( admittedly not so great ) photo :

http://www.kalamaprecision.com/gallery/Tool%20Post.jpg

Note:

These are the only style we have--but anyone familiar with using the system
knows the straight holder is the one it seems you always wish you had more
of G

--

SVL

Old October 17th 03, 10:03 PM
jim rozen

In article , Steve says...

How is the degree above centerline adjusted on Aloris type quick
change tool holders?

The tool holder has a sort of setscrew stop that gives
nearly micrometer accuracy in setting the height of
the tool above the bed.

The angle of the tool is adjusted by loosening the
hold down bolt and turning by hand.

They are independently adjustable.

Typically the cutting edge is set as nearly on center
as you can. The best way to do this is to face off
a piece of stock - when the tip of the tool does
not leave a tit on the end of the stock (too low)
then it's right.

Jim

please reply to:

Old October 17th 03, 10:33 PM
Grant Erwin

Look closely at a picture. On top of a toolholder is a vertical threaded
rod. On that rod is a flat round knurled nut held in place with a jam nut.
The toolholder is positioned vertically by the position of the nut.

In practice, if the tool is a mite too low, the main clamping arm
is loosened, and the nut screwed down just a skoach, then the main
clamping arm is tightened again. Once this is set, it stays set. You
can take the toolholder off, set it on the bench, come back next week
and put it back on, and it's right at the height you left it.

Grant

Old October 18th 03, 01:01 AM
tomcas

Steve wrote:

How is the degree above centerline adjusted on Aloris type quick
change tool holders? Do you just adjust the toolholder and then the
toolbit is say... 5 degress above centerline but is still
perpendicular to the ways?I am asking because I am getting ready to
buy one after everyones suggestions and on the lantern type you set
the 5 degrees above centerline for mild steel by adjusting the tool
holder in the post with the rocker. This puts the tool at an angle to
the ways. Does it make a difference as long it is the proper amount of
degrees above center line for the material being cut whether it is
perpendicular or at an angle? It seems that perpendicular would be
much more beneficial. Thanks for any help. -Steve

If you are facing to the center of a part and you don't want a
protuberance then set the cutting edge exactly on center by adjusting
the knurled height nut while the wedge is unlocked. If you are not
facing to the center then remember- turn below - bore above. The center
line that is. By about 10 thousandths. This will ensure the cutter
always has ample clearance and cuts instead of rubs. I use a depth part
of a dial caliper to measure this setting off the end face of a known
diameter. One word of advice- don't buy the cheap Chinese holders like
Phase One brand. They are absolute crap. Invest in a real Aloris brand
and you will not regret it.

--
**remove NospaM from email address to reply**

Old October 18th 03, 02:57 AM
Bob Swinney

Tomcas sez:

"One word of advice- don't buy the cheap Chinese holders like Phase One
brand. They are absolute crap. Invest in a real Aloris brand and you will
not regret it."

Hhmmmnnn, I wonder about that there "Phase One brand". Does that mean that
Phase Two brand is twice as crappy?

Bob Swinney

Old October 18th 03, 03:57 AM
michael

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

om...

Now with all that said :

========

[...]

Only 30 left? Instead of a testimonial, maybe I can get you to send me a couple
more? I'll email addy if you don't still have it.

michael

Old October 18th 03, 04:54 AM
\PrecisionMachinisT\

"michael" wrote in message
PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

om...

Now with all that said :

========

[...]

Thanks, Michael.

I will have her ship em out, she probly has the address on file.

--

SVL

Old October 18th 03, 06:50 AM
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
tomcas wrote:

You've already covered the hows of setting center height quite
well, so I've just snipped that part.

[ ... ]

One word of advice- don't buy the cheap Chinese holders like
Phase One brand. They are absolute crap. Invest in a real Aloris brand
and you will not regret it.

Hmm ... I've got a mix of Phase-II and genuine Aloris tool
holders of various styles. You can get more esoteric styles in the
Aloris brand, but for the styles which are in both brands, the Phase-II
work well with one caveat. As soon as you get them, pull the setscrews
which come with the holders and replace them with good USA made
setscrews of the same size. (IIRC, it is 8mm or perhaps 10mm for the
BXA size). The reason for doing this is that the metallurgy of the
screws is probably the worst part (at least of the Phase-II ones which I
have), and you *really* don't want to have the socket split out while it
is clamped onto a tool (and no part of the setscrew is above the
toolholder block, so you are left with drilling it out. :-) Since a box
of 100 of the proper size screws is cheap enough from MSC or one of the
other major vendors, it is cheap insurance.

Also -- I would suggest purchasing a good T-handle Allen key of
the right size for the setscrews so you can put some serious muscle when
you're setting a tool in the holder.

Now -- there are lower-budget versions than the Phase-II, and
these are sometimes sold as Phase-II (at least based on the
advertising), so this may be what you encountered.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old October 18th 03, 07:00 AM
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:
In article , Steve says...

How is the degree above centerline adjusted on Aloris type quick
change tool holders?

The tool holder has a sort of setscrew stop that gives
nearly micrometer accuracy in setting the height of
the tool above the bed.

The angle of the tool is adjusted by loosening the
hold down bolt and turning by hand.

You're talking about the side-to-side angle. I think that he
was talking about the *top-rake* angle, which with a lantern-style
toolpost is adjustable as he described. And the height and top-rake
interact on the lantern style toolpost -- usually adjusted for a
semi-reasonable compromise by adjusting the stick-out.

Normally, I set the toolpost up to present the tool shanks at a
right (side-to-side) angle to the workpiece, and the other set of
dovetails is then at the right angle for facing or boring instead of
turning.

With insert tooling, the rake angle is part of the machining of
the pocket for the insert (or perhaps, as in the threading inserts,
controlled by a solid carbide anvil which mounts between the insert and
the tool shank.

With HSS -- if you want a rake, you grind it in the tool while
shaping the rest of it.

In either case, with a quick-change toolpost, the bottom of the
tool shank is parallel to the bed and (hopefully) the floor.

They are independently adjustable.

Not the rake angle, but the side-to-side angle certainly is.

Typically the cutting edge is set as nearly on center
as you can. The best way to do this is to face off
a piece of stock - when the tip of the tool does
not leave a tit on the end of the stock (too low)
then it's right.

Indeed so -- and this part of your question has been covered
in greater detail by other responders.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564