DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Most dangerous tool in shop (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/20110-most-dangerous-tool-shop.html)

Sweet Sawdust August 27th 03 05:06 AM

Most dangerous tool in shop

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

Gfretwell August 27th 03 05:11 AM

Most dangerous tool in shop

This must come from a person who doesn't yet own a table saw.

I tend to agree. It really still depends on the operator and how safe they
work.
A sander will give you some nasty "road rash" a table saw will take off body
parts. Personally I think the hand held circular saw causes a lot more terrible
accidents but that is because people tend to get a lot more reckless with them.
My wife is the the construction business and these accidents are pretty common.
They also have a lot of people "nailing" themselves with framing nailers. One
guy managed to put a 16 penny nail in the roof of his mouth and didn't really
know what happened until they got him to the ER.

Bill August 27th 03 05:16 AM

Most dangerous tool in shop

Sweet Sawdust asked
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

The human brain, because when it stops working whether due to haste,
exhaustion, or any other cause everything else can and often will to hell.
For instance a few days ago while cutting rabbets in picture frames with a
straight trim router bit my dust chute became clogged. I turned off the router,
waited for the bit to stop spinning and not wanting to have to redo my fence
setup I just slid my finger into the slot to clean it out unfortunately I
grazed the bit and have a nice 5/16" cut(as measured with calipers to prove to
SWMBO that it was not that bad). Blood in white oak is not a pretty sight,
bright side is the table top was freshly waxed so no blood stains there.

Bill

GTO69RA4 August 27th 03 05:40 AM

Most dangerous tool in shop

You're question doesn't quite have an answer the way it's phrased. I haven't
hurt myself any of my tools within recent memory, but it doesn't mean they're
all at the same danger level.

I've always put the drill press, belt grinder, and scroll saw in the "safest
tool" catagory. The table saw, shaper, and jointer are the ones to watch out
for. Flying and impaled body parts can ruin a good day.

GTO(John)

Upscale August 27th 03 05:57 AM

Most dangerous tool in shop

"David Binkowski" wrote in message
y.com...

This must come from a person who doesn't yet own a table saw.

Sounds like it came from a person who only owns one tool - a belt sander.

AJS August 27th 03 10:37 AM

Most dangerous tool in shop

"Sweet Sawdust"
wrote in message ...

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,

For me, it has to be the humble screwdriver.
Three times over the last 25 years, I've put screwdrivers straight through
one of my fingers, usually when (mis)using one to remove a circlip.
I did eventually learn from this repeated painful experience and bought a
pair
of circlip pliers.

Now, if you had asked which tool has the most potential for danger,
that would have to be the table saw but luckily, I've not found a way
of removing circlips with the TS yet

Traves W. Coppock August 27th 03 10:57 AM

Most dangerous tool in shop

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:06:06 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,

snip

i would have to agree with Bill who posted on this one,,,
the most dangerous thing in my shop is the operator of the tool...
IE: me

if i don't keep my mind on what i am doing all the time, i am
dangerous.

of course, my wife says if i had half a brain i would be
dangerous..but that's another matter all together.

Traves

Robert Bonomi August 27th 03 11:40 AM

Most dangerous tool in shop

In article ,
Sweet Sawdust wrote:
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

Worst single injury: a back saw. holding on to a board, to 'stabilize' it in
a light-duty vice, while hand-sawing, and "didn't notice" that my hand was in
the path of the blade. Untill it was about 1/16" into the -bone- of the 1st
joint of my finger, that is. No pain, very little blood -- only about a 1.5"
long scar to show for it. oh, yeah. 35+ years ago.

most injuries: the paper I have plans, cut-lists, "whatever" listed on
(paper cuts)
Second place: hammer. hit the nail right on the thumb, or equivalent.

I've -never- had an injury with a power tool.

SwampBug August 27th 03 11:57 AM

Most dangerous tool in shop

wonder where he 'buys' all the small wood pieces he sands?

--
SwampBug
---------------------
able.rogers.com...

Andy Dingley August 27th 03 12:07 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received,

Who cares ? I've not yet sawn an arm off, I know some of my machines
could easily do it. The _potential_ for injury is more important than
its past history.

For past injuries, it's my chain blocks. Dropped some girder on my
foot once and squashed a foot flat.

Traves W. Coppock August 27th 03 12:21 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:07:14 +0100, Andy Dingley
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

For past injuries, it's my chain blocks. Dropped some girder on my
foot once and squashed a foot flat.

That's gonna leave a mark

Traves

J&KCopeland August 27th 03 12:23 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based

on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you

have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

In thirty years of futzing around in the shop, I've had one minor accident
with the table saw. However, if the total number of painful experiences is
to be believed, the trusty old hammer should have a skull and crossbones
etched on it.

James...

B a r r y B u r k e J r . August 27th 03 12:29 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

wrote:

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

You would consider a sander more dangerous than potential amputation
via power saw? Not to mention kick back.

Do you actually participate in the activity of woodworking?

Barry

Frank Ketchum August 27th 03 01:54 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based

on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you

have
heard from other people.

I think the tool with the most potential is my tablesaw, but since you
phrased the question that way, the tools that have caused me the most pain
in my shop are clearly my golf clubs.

Frank

Jim Mc Namara August 27th 03 02:04 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

Although I've had the typical scraped knuckles, finger tips, etc. from a
belt sander, I believe the table saw has the most potential. There seems to
be a lot of "variables" in it's use (set up, blade height, etc.) It's the
only tool I've been fortunate enough to only have a close call with - cut
the side of my finger off at the tip 4 years ago (and it still causes me
problems although it was very minor.)

However, if someone isn't being careful, they can all become the "most
dangerous." You did hear about the guy who cut himself with a bandsaw . .
.. didn't you?

Jim

Traves W. Coppock August 27th 03 02:05 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:54:14 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based

on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you

have
heard from other people.

I think the tool with the most potential is my tablesaw, but since you
phrased the question that way, the tools that have caused me the most pain
in my shop are clearly my golf clubs.

you golf in your shop? wow i wish i had your floor space

Lawrence Wasserman August 27th 03 02:52 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

In article ,
Sweet Sawdust wrote:
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

Razor knife

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Sweet Sawdust August 27th 03 03:02 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

I do own a table saw, radial arm saw, band saw, routers, drill presses,
osculating sander, stationary belt sander, planner, jointer, lathe, chain
saw, a whole bench of various power hand tools, a large wall of hand tools.
and other power and hand tools. I spend at least 12 hours a day in the shop
5days a week and average 8 hours a day on weekends. I make my living in the
shop and make all the small pieces of wood my self, have a collage degree in
Industrial Arts and am accreted by my state as a folk artist. Any other
comments on my credits?
"David Binkowski" wrote in message
y.com...

This must come from a person who doesn't yet own a table saw.

So I installed it on Linux...

BigJoe August 27th 03 03:03 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

My table saw...and the idiot that turned it on. :-)

--
Be sure to check out Joe's and Betty's webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html

Tom Watson August 27th 03 03:13 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:02:12 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"
wrote:

I do own a...osculating sander.

Do you osculate with this sander while it's plugged in?

That would definitely make this one the most dangerous.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

Sweet Sawdust August 27th 03 03:14 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

Yes
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote
in message ...

Silvan August 27th 03 03:29 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

Jim Mc Namara wrote:

However, if someone isn't being careful, they can all become the "most
dangerous." You did hear about the guy who cut himself with a bandsaw .
. . didn't you?

Yeah, with the 1 tpi blade. Yeeeeowch!!!!!!!!!!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17375 Approximate word count: 521250

Rich Stern August 27th 03 03:56 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received,

1. Knives that use razor blade edges, such as x-acto and retractables.

2. Everything else.

As I get older, I gain more respect for the fact that injuries only take a
slight lapse in vigilence.

My last significant injury came from a 13.2v cordless drill and a standard 1/8"
drill bit. The bit was a little dull, I pressed a little too hard, and in a
blink, it snapped and the resulting slip put the remainder of the bit all the
way through my left index finger near the knuckle. Looked kinda stupid
fumbling for the reverse on the drill so I could back the bit out of my finger.

Even battery powered tools can be dangerous.

Rich S.

Ben Siders August 27th 03 04:03 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:56:02 +0000, Rich Stern wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received,

1. Knives that use razor blade edges, such as x-acto and retractables.

2. Everything else.

As I get older, I gain more respect for the fact that injuries only take a
slight lapse in vigilence.

My last significant injury came from a 13.2v cordless drill and a standard 1/8"
drill bit. The bit was a little dull, I pressed a little too hard, and in a
blink, it snapped and the resulting slip put the remainder of the bit all the
way through my left index finger near the knuckle. Looked kinda stupid
fumbling for the reverse on the drill so I could back the bit out of my finger.

Even battery powered tools can be dangerous.

Rich S.

I've only been doing this for a few months, and I've already had several
accidents in the shop, and only my safety glasses saved me from serious
injury and possibly a lost eye.

#1. A buddy was drilling and he hadn't put
the bit into the chuck right and as soon as he applied any pressure, the
bit snapped and hit me square in the face. Specifically, the eye. My
safety glasses took the hit and when I went to pick the bit up off the
floor it was so hot it burned my finger.

#2. Same buddy was doing a cut with a reciprocating saw on some scrap.
There was a nail in it that he didn't know/forgot about and he didn't have
the right kind of blade in the saw. It got to the nail and the saw blade
snapped and flew across the room. Luckily it didn't hit anybody.

#3. I was doing some brief chiselling tasks the other day and figured I
didn't need to clamp the piece down, I could just hold it with my hand for
these few little cuts. Wrong. The chisel slipped and now I've got a
chisel-width scar on my wrist.

#4. I was trying to drill a drywall screw and had the drill on reverse. I
had some stubborn knotholes to get through and rather than do a pilot hole
I decided to let the screw do the work. I leaned into the drill and
turned it on and it slipped off the screw and landed on the back of my
hand, which I was using to hold the screw up. So stupid. Didn't even
break the skin, luckily.

I wear my safety glasses pretty much all the time unless I'm just laying
something out. I'm a big dude and my body heat tends to fog them up, so I
wear them during cuts, drilling, hammering, etc, and remove them to just
line things up, clamp, etc. I also wear hearing protection during
anything moderately loud. I've got some hearing loss already from a
decade full of rock concerts and garage band practice, I don't need any
more of it to go.

Bay Area Dave August 27th 03 04:21 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

screwdriver, followed by hammer. So far I've got no injuries from power
tools. Hope that streak runs forever.

dave

Abe August 27th 03 04:32 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

In article m,
says...
wrote:

I do own a...osculating sander.

Do you osculate with this sander while it's plugged in?

That would definitely make this one the most dangerous.

LOL! Well, better osculation than fellation.

brocpuffs August 27th 03 04:40 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:38:12 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I drew more blood from chisels than anything else. I never got hurt
from my drill press, bandsaw, table saw, lathe, nor jointer. Maybe
the most dangerous tool is your brain, when it is not working
properly.

Exactly, Phisherman, exactly. Ya beat me to it. All the other
But there's nail guns-

I've been nipped by my bandsaw only once that counted, and lightly
grazed by my jointer. Not a TS victim yet and pray I never will be.

But chisels, whether little bitty carving or Sorby Heavy-Duty
mortising, gum me regularly. A tiny burst of impatience, a drift of
attention, and *yeowdammit" rings thru the room once more.

James

D K Woods August 27th 03 05:05 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:02:12 -0500, Sweet Sawdust wrote:

I do own a table saw, radial arm saw, band saw, routers, drill presses,
osculating sander, stationary belt sander, planner, jointer, lathe, chain
saw, a whole bench of various power hand tools, a large wall of hand tools.
and other power and hand tools. I spend at least 12 hours a day in the shop
5days a week and average 8 hours a day on weekends. I make my living in the
shop and make all the small pieces of wood my self, have a collage degree in
Industrial Arts and am accreted by my state as a folk artist. Any other
comments on my credits?
"David Binkowski" wrote in message
y.com...

This must come from a person who doesn't yet own a table saw.

Well then I would say that the reason you are considering the stationary
belt sander most dangerous is that it is the tool you are least careful
with. Maybe you're *too* comfortable with it.

I don't think there's a definitive answer out there. Statistically
speaking, I believe there are more accidents with table saws and circular
saws. But I heard a saying once that the most dangerous tool in your shop
is the one you're afraid of, and the second most dangerous tool in your
shop is the one you respect the least. Don't think it doesn't apply to
you.

david
--
It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
learned English -- up to 50 words used in correct context -- no human being

D K Woods August 27th 03 05:07 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

On 27 Aug 2003 04:40:38 GMT, GTO69RA4 wrote:

You're question doesn't quite have an answer the way it's phrased. I haven't
hurt myself any of my tools within recent memory, but it doesn't mean they're
all at the same danger level.

I've always put the drill press, belt grinder, and scroll saw in the "safest
tool" catagory. The table saw, shaper, and jointer are the ones to watch out
for. Flying and impaled body parts can ruin a good day.

GTO(John)

I'd put a lathe in the "safest tools" category too. There's something
comforting about a tool that lets you hold the sharp tool stationary while
the wood does the spinning for you.

david

Tim Douglass August 27th 03 05:54 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:05:10 -0500, D K Woods
wrote:

I don't think there's a definitive answer out there. Statistically
speaking, I believe there are more accidents with table saws and circular
saws. But I heard a saying once that the most dangerous tool in your shop
is the one you're afraid of, and the second most dangerous tool in your
shop is the one you respect the least. Don't think it doesn't apply to
you.

The statistics can be a bit misleading, since only the TS, planer,
jointer and BS are likely to produce an ER visit from *any* accident.
My most severe injury with a tool came from a drum-type Surform tool.
I was shaping a table leg or something and it just ran right up my
thumb. Those little cutters work just as well on flesh as they do on
wood! That one is not a statistic though, because I just put 6-8
band-aids on it and went back to work.

"Most Dangerous" can be defined as the tool that is most likely to
cause *any* injury, or as the tool most likely to cause the *most
severe* injury. In the first category is the hammer, the second is
represented by the TS.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Tim Douglass August 27th 03 05:55 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

I vote for the loose nut running things.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Doug Miller August 27th 03 06:13 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

In article , Abe wrote:
In article m,
says...

Or even worse, http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1997-10.html

--
Regards,

Hitch August 27th 03 06:21 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

LOL! Well, better osculation than fellation.

Hey "fella", you're cute!

Hitch August 27th 03 06:23 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

Clearly, he has the same limited space we all have. That's why gofing in
the shop causes so much pain (boing, boing, boing, ouch).

D K Woods August 27th 03 06:35 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

"Most Dangerous" can be defined as the tool that is most likely to
cause *any* injury, or as the tool most likely to cause the *most
severe* injury. In the first category is the hammer, the second is
represented by the TS.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Good points, I agree the definition seems to be the tricky part with this
question. Maybe the question should be phrased either "most frequently
dangerous" or "most severly dangerous". I don't think you can really
compare answers to either of these together. It's like comparing crash
statistics between Volvo and Boeing. One has more, the other has more
severe.

david

CW August 27th 03 06:54 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

So, how many fingers are you missing? He specified most dangerous tool based
on accidents you have had, not someone else.

CW August 27th 03 06:58 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

This thread is proof that reading comprehension skills are rather low around
here. Apparently, no one bothered to read and understand what you asked.

DJ Delorie August 27th 03 07:23 PM

Most dangerous tool in shop

D K Woods writes:
But I still think the potential for severe (not frequent) damage puts it
among the safer tools...well, power tools at least. *I* don't have
anything else with a 3/4 hp motor that safe, at least....

Then you've never been hit in the head by a 10lb piece of oak
travelling at 50mph.