CW

Default Most dangerous tool in shop

That's not what he asked. He is not interested in statistics.
"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:05:10 -0500, D K Woods
wrote:

The statistics can be a bit misleading,

CW

Then, based on the given criteria, your answer is non. You do get points,
though, for actually reading and understanding the question.
"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
You're question doesn't quite have an answer the way it's phrased. I

haven't
hurt myself any of my tools within recent memory, but it doesn't mean

they're
all at the same danger level.

I've always put the drill press, belt grinder, and scroll saw in the

"safest
tool" catagory. The table saw, shaper, and jointer are the ones to watch

out
for. Flying and impaled body parts can ruin a good day.

GTO(John)

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based

on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you

have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

CW

Do you actually read the questions asked?
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote
in message ...

You would consider a sander more dangerous than potential amputation
via power saw? Not to mention kick back.

Do you actually participate in the activity of woodworking?

Barry

Steve

"Ramsey" wrote in message
I don't consider a sander dangerous at all. Harmful but not dangerous.
The machines likely to do the MOST damage are-table saw, jointer,
shaper. A sander will burn the fire out of you but it should not ever
kill you.

He didn't ask which had the most potential - he asked which one has
actually injured you.

Mine would be Chisel, Sander, 12" miter saw (pulled the wrong plug when
I was changing the blade - it didn't hurt me but it cost me a new pair
of BVD's)

Traves W. Coppock

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:13:42 GMT, (Doug Miller)
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

Or even worse,
http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1997-10.html

OOOOOO NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO

that's just wrong!!!!

Mike Hide

Potentially the most dangerous tool in the shop is either the table saw or
more likely the shaper . Free handing a complex piece with a cutter inches
away from your fingers, with three HP and goodness knows how much torque
powering it is to say the least disconcerting if not bloody scary.

In particular when using a collar trying to get the piece on the collar
sometimes is difficult enough where you rely on your own strength and
fortitude to fight the Machine before the collar can be utilized to take the
load.

Avoiding accidents on this type of machine involves careful planning
beforehand and intense concentration when use .mjh
--
mike hide

"CW" wrote in message
Do you actually read the questions asked?
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ."

wrote
in message ...

You would consider a sander more dangerous than potential amputation
via power saw? Not to mention kick back.

Do you actually participate in the activity of woodworking?

Barry

Tim Douglass

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:49:03 GMT, "CW"
wrote:

That's not what he asked. He is not interested in statistics.

I wasn't responding to the OP, I was commenting on the difficulty of
defining most dangerous in a context raised by another poster.

Threads do wander, you know.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Chris Merrill

Ramsey wrote:
For my money, shaper / jointer. I absolutely dread using a jointer
when my hand passes over the blades. Sure, I use push blocks and the
recommended attachments but still---.

So I'm not the only one who _clenches_ during that operation?

I don't mind edge-jointing at all...but face jointing...yikes!

I'm looking forward to getting time to build a 'jointing' sled
for my planer. That way I can stand safely out of the way
and my hands are no longer involved in the operation.

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Chris Merrill

Phisherman wrote:
I drew more blood from chisels than anything else. I never got hurt
from my drill press, bandsaw, table saw, lathe, nor jointer. Maybe
the most dangerous tool is your brain, when it is not working
properly.

Oooh...forgot about the chisels. They are right behind the hammer...
and gaining quickly. I cut myself with a brand new chisel a few
days ago getting it out of the packaging...glad nobody was watching

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

D K Woods

On 27 Aug 2003 14:23:22 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

D K Woods writes:
But I still think the potential for severe (not frequent) damage puts it
among the safer tools...well, power tools at least. *I* don't have
anything else with a 3/4 hp motor that safe, at least....

Then you've never been hit in the head by a 10lb piece of oak
travelling at 50mph.

I've never put a forstner bit through my hand, either, but I'm sure it's
happened at one time or another. All tools are dangerous, given the proper
circumstances.

My sympathy if you are talking from experience. That doesn't sound pretty.

david
--
It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
learned English -- up to 50 words used in correct context -- no human being

Dave Balderstone

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

I'll give impatience and blade screwdrivers equal status
as #1 offenders there. I've lost more pieces of me to
screwdrivers and more pieces of projects to impatience

Every time I've stabbed myself with a chisel or screwdriver, or skinned
a knuckle loosening or tightening a bolt, it's been because I was too
impatient to take the time to either do it right or make sure I was
using the proper tool for the job.

djb

--
My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is:
Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can. -- Frank Zappa
Kelby

My grandfather and my father-in-law each lost two fingers on jointers.

Me, I've learned a neat trick --- although the blades on those
jointers, table saws, planers, and band saws tend move quickly, they
never actually go anywhere! Which means that if you don't put your
fingers near them, they can't get you! Push sticks and feather boards
are beautiful things. They have successfully kept all my digits
intact.

But I have dropped a few tools and heavy pieces of lumber on my toes.
I have a bunch of black toenails to prove it. (They eventually grow
out, but I bang them again and get new black spots on my toenails.)
So for me, the most dangerous thing in my shop is my sandals. I could
have eliminated all of my shop injuries over the years ('cept for a
few slivers) simply by wearing my boots.

SwampBug

s that was the point i was trying to make. . .

--
SwampBug
---------------------
"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
Make them my self
"SwampBug" wrote in message
wonder where he 'buys' all the small wood pieces he sands?

--
SwampBug
---------------------
"Upscale" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

"David Binkowski" wrote in message
y.com...

This must come from a person who doesn't yet own a table saw.

Sounds like it came from a person who only owns one tool - a belt

sander.

Doug Miller

In article Cg83b.275593$o%2.125725@sccrnsc02, "Mike Hide" wrote:
Potentially the most dangerous tool in the shop is either the table saw or
more likely the shaper . Free handing a complex piece with a cutter inches
away from your fingers, with three HP and goodness knows how much torque
powering it is to say the least disconcerting if not bloody scary.

In particular when using a collar trying to get the piece on the collar
sometimes is difficult enough where you rely on your own strength and
fortitude to fight the Machine before the collar can be utilized to take the
load.

Avoiding accidents on this type of machine involves careful planning
beforehand and intense concentration when use .mjh

Agreed 100%. After reading the cautions in the owner's manual for my shaper, I
concluded that anyone who reads that, and is not a bit scared of what the tool
can do, is not sensible enough to use it.

--
Regards,
Doug Miller

In article , Trent© wrote:
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:06:06 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"
wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

Hammer...mainly because we take it for granted.

Yep, gotta agree there. I've had more (and worse) injuries from hammers than
from all other tools I own combined. Chisels are a distant second, with
screwdrivers trailing close behind in third.

--
Regards,
Alan McClure

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Abe wrote:
In article m,
says...
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:02:12 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"
wrote:

I do own a...osculating sander.

Do you osculate with this sander while it's plugged in?

That would definitely make this one the most dangerous.

LOL! Well, better osculation than fellation.

Or even worse, http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1997-10.html

--
Regards,

Well, he's half way out of the gene pool.

OBTW - it took me three trys to read that article. OW, OW, OW, OW.......

ARM

Jeepnstein

My personal choice for self-inflicted pain is my oxy-acetelyne torch. I'm
constantly messing around and picking up a hot part, getting slag in my
shirt pocket, just having all sorts of "fun". I wish I were a better
welder, but practice can be a painful process at times. I'm really wanting
a new stick welder so I can burn up a little steel with it for a change.

Jim

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based

on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you

have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

Mike Hide

Isn't it the pits, especially when you have just done your fingernails in
that new color....mjh

--
mike hide

wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based

on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you

have
heard from other people.

Hammer...mainly because we take it for granted.

We know the potential of the power tools...so we're more careful with
them.

I've grown several new fingernails over the years! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Ward Cleaver

Lawrence Wasserman wrote in rec.woodworking

In article ,
Sweet Sawdust wrote:
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,
based on the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on
what you have heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small
wood pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press
same reason.

The only accident I have had so far, knock wood, is a tiny little piece
kicked back by the TS that hit me in the side and left small bruise and
scrape. But then I AM a newbie and just need more time probably.
RichardS

"Traves W. Coppock" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:13:42 GMT, (Doug Miller)
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

Or even worse,
http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1997-10.html

OOOOOO NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO

that's just wrong!!!!

Quite.

Gorilla Glue would have been a much more suitable repair.

cheers
Richard
--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Jim Mc Namara

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message:
Quite.

Gorilla Glue would have been a much more suitable repair.

Nah - Traves would have enjoyed the "squeeze out" too much! LOL!

Jums (g, r, & d!)

Chris Merrill wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
I drew more blood from chisels than anything else. I never got hurt
from my drill press, bandsaw, table saw, lathe, nor jointer. Maybe
the most dangerous tool is your brain, when it is not working
properly.

Oooh...forgot about the chisels. They are right behind the hammer...
and gaining quickly. I cut myself with a brand new chisel a few
days ago getting it out of the packaging...glad nobody was watching

Scary Sharpening seems to take a bite out of me now and then. When
the finger gets too close to the sand paper it stops while that chisel
keeps on coming.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 05:13:06 GMT, "Mike Hide"
pixelated:

Reading this post leads me to believe the only tool you have in your shop
are screwdrivers........mjh

That wouldn't _quite_ be true, Mikey. I do have just a few
more tools.

-
- Let Exxon send their own troops -
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming

Norman D. Crow

"PJS" wrote in message
.. .
In many cases, I would have to say the nut that presses the power switch.

IMHO, this whole thread boils down to the old saw about " the most dangerous
part of a car is the nut holding the steering wheel",as these type replies
seem to be the majority.
Bye,
Nahmie

Traves W. Coppock

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:34:56 GMT, "Jim Mc Namara"
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message:
Quite.

Gorilla Glue would have been a much more suitable repair.

Nah - Traves would have enjoyed the "squeeze out" too much! LOL!

Jums (g, r, & d!)

i have to admit,,,i have a thing for watching it bubble...
*sniff*

"my name is Traves, and im a gorrillaholic"

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Norman D. Crow wrote:

"PJS" wrote in message
. ..
In many cases, I would have to say the nut that presses the power switch.

IMHO, this whole thread boils down to the old saw about " the most dangerous
part of a car is the nut holding the steering wheel",as these type replies
seem to be the majority.

The classical description of the causative factor for most automobile accidents,
_particularly_ the one-car variety, is:

"loose nut behind the wheel"

Silvan

Abe wrote:

Do you osculate with this sander while it's plugged in?

That would definitely make this one the most dangerous.

LOL! Well, better osculation than fellation.

Fellation by an osculating sander? Yeeeeeowch!!!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17393 Approximate word count: 521790

Silvan

Doug Miller wrote:

Or even worse, http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1997-10.html

Gack.

I can't even come up with a good smartass thing to say. Just gack.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17394 Approximate word count: 521820

Tim Simmons

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
In article , Abe

wrote:

I do own a...osculating sander.

Do you osculate with this sander while it's plugged in?

That would definitely make this one the most dangerous.

LOL! Well, better osculation than fellation.

Or even worse, http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1997-10.html

Tim S.:

I doubt a M.D. wrote this considering the grammar used.

"One morning I was called to the emergency room by the head ER nurse. She
directed me to a patient who had refused to describe his problem other then
to say..."

"...then to say..."?

Also, the size seems unbelievable.

"After I asked the nurse to leave us, the patient permitted me to remove his
trousers, shorts, and two or three yards of foul-smelling, stained gauze
wrapped about his scrotum, which was swollen to twice the size of a
grapefruit and extremely tender."

Twice as big as a grapefruit? Maybe not impossible but it just sounds like
another Internet tale to me. Oops, another "then" when he should have used
"than"...

"Convalescence was uneventful, and before his release from the hospital less
then a week later, the patient confided the rest of his story to me."

This is not the work of a medical doctor (or maybe it is and the typist is
actually committing the grammar errors in the transcription process). It is
probably someone who is in med school (or dropped out) who wanted to add to
the fiction floating around the Internet.

"When his scrotum suddenly became caught between the pulley-wheel and the
drive-belt, he was thrown into the air and landed a few feet away."

Um, excuse me, but physics would not allow that to happen. The force would
rip the skin away before lifting 150-200 pounds of human completely off the
ground and hurling him a yard away. This is pure hyperbole whether the
story is true or not. He may have fell and went in the direction of the
pulling instinctively.

The site says it's confirmed true by Darwin. Maybe so but I just doubt it
due to the grammar and exaggeration contained in it.

Apparently, others have "verified" the story but to really do so would
require viewing the actual medical records (which apparently wasn't done on
that site or the one that lists urban legends and hoaxes).

Here's what they say though.

Origins: Ow! The above article did indeed appear in the July 1991 issue of
Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality, submitted by the physician who treated
the victim. We tracked down the doctor to obtain verification [yeah, that's
like asking the Pope if God exists] and further details about the unusual
injury, and he replied as follows:

Dr. William A. Morton, Jr., M.D.
I am now retired, but submitted the article; treated the patient about 20-25
years ago and have had phone calls from all corners of the U.S. ever since.
A xerox is on the billboard in practically every army post, college dorm,
men's club, etc. I've had interviews/phone by talk-show hosts, etc. No Phil
Donahue yet!
The man actually came to me 3 days post-injury when the fever, swelling, and
pain of secondary infection frightened him. Though unlikely, tetanus was
even a possibility. He was not that impressed with the pain of the moment of
injury - it happened so quickly, like losing your fingertip to a band-saw -
and was unaware his left testis was probably propelled up into the rafters
of the machine shop where he worked.
Every man who questions me imagines the initial pain to have been intense,
but should realize that once the testis had been ripped out (gasp!) there
was not the continuing discomfort one would experience from a first-class
kick in the nuts!
I saw him again 5 years later in the hospital for a non-urologic problem.
Incidentally, the Navy has left xeroxes in every bar along the Mediterranean
from Gibraltar to Tel Aviv - my son's girlfriend saw one in Greece 2 years
ago.

Just because he submitted an article doesn't mean it happened and the
timeframe (20-25 years later) is suspicious to me.

Just my thoughts.

Anybody with me on this? heheheheheheheh

Tim

David Binkowski

I have to admit. I get very giggly when I see someone using a
sharp pen-knife, or screwdriver to force something. Its not
funny exactly, but a feeling of hysteria sets in when I see their
hand begin to tremble, jamming the the small metal object at
whatever they're working on. I can't NOT watch it, but I feel
like covering my eyes still.

And invariably it ends up with the implement slipping forward,
and the person grabs one hand or the other tightly to stop the
bleeding. Sometimes it just results in a bad blood blister or
torn off finger nail...

Rule of thumb. If you have ANYTHING in your hand that
you are applying force to, and any part of you, or the tool
begins trembling, start over and find a better way...

So I installed it on Linux...
"AJS" wrote in message

"Sweet Sawdust"
wrote in message ...

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,

For me, it has to be the humble screwdriver.
Three times over the last 25 years, I've put screwdrivers straight through
one of my fingers, usually when (mis)using one to remove a circlip.
I did eventually learn from this repeated painful experience and bought a
pair
of circlip pliers.

Now, if you had asked which tool has the most potential for danger,
that would have to be the table saw but luckily, I've not found a way
of removing circlips with the TS yet

Ramsey

Sometimes sayings like that just make me feel so inadequate. Well, he
least least he didn;'t say ovulating.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:32:15 -0400, Silvan
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

Or even worse, http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1997-10.html

Gack.

I can't even come up with a good smartass thing to say. Just gack.

Silvan

Kelby wrote:

But I have dropped a few tools and heavy pieces of lumber on my toes.
I have a bunch of black toenails to prove it. (They eventually grow
out, but I bang them again and get new black spots on my toenails.)
So for me, the most dangerous thing in my shop is my sandals. I could
have eliminated all of my shop injuries over the years ('cept for a
few slivers) simply by wearing my boots.

Me too. I have a tiny sliver of swarf embedded somewhere deep inside my
left foot, and an ugly place on my right foot where I dropped not one, not
two, but three box end wrenches off the workbench and right onto my foot.

I should definitely wear boots in the shop, but I have to wear boots
professionally, and I tend to wear my comfortable shoes--sandals or
mocasins--at home, logic be damned. Putting on my boots to go to the shop
feels too much like work.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17412 Approximate word count: 522360

Silvan

Tim Simmons wrote:

I doubt a M.D. wrote this considering the grammar used.

Nothing was wrong with the grammar per se. Just the spelling. I could
believe a doctor wrote it. Doctors are not, in my experience, any more
inclined to be literate than bankers.

Also, the size seems unbelievable.

Agreed. I've had occasion to stick a softball in my pants. (Don't ask.)
That's about the size of a grapefruit. It was difficult to fasten them.
If I tried to put something twice that size in there, there's no way I
could get them on.

Um, excuse me, but physics would not allow that to happen. The force

ground and hurling him a yard away. This is pure hyperbole whether the

Agreed. Rather like someone getting hit in the chest with a blast from a
12-gauge and flying 15 feet straight backwards and knocking a pinball
machine through a plate glass window. Yeah, right.

story is true or not. He may have fell and went in the direction of the
pulling instinctively.

This is where getting picky about people's grammar always bites one in the
ass. That masterfully crafted last sentence of yours is just screaming for
someone to step up and correct it.

Mind you, I don't really care. I've seen "alot" worse. I'm just pointing
out that correcting someone's "grammar" (spelling, actually, in this case;
and he also forgot at least one apostrophe) while making such an egregious
mistake is a recipe for some smartass like me stepping up to put you in
your place.

I'll give you a chance to correct yourself before I break out the red
pencil.

Anybody with me on this? heheheheheheheh

There's really no telling unless you go to the hospital in question, break
into their records, and try to comb through them until you find the actual
case notes. I agree with you that it's a souped up story at best, but
there might or might not be a large grain of truth to it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17413 Approximate word count: 522390