Bay Area Dave

Default Most dangerous tool in shop

since you are the word police, let's get YOU caught up on proper
spelling: "alot" should have been "a lot".

there.

feel better?

no?

don't you just hate it when somebody out smart-asses you!

relax, I'm just jerking your chain!

BTW, don't mention to me I don't capitalize the first words of a
sentence. I'm a lazy typist.

dave

Silvan wrote:
snip

Mind you, I don't really care. I've seen "alot" worse. I'm just pointing
out that correcting someone's "grammar" (spelling, actually, in this case;

snip

Juergen Hannappel

"Tim Simmons" writes:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
In article , Abe

wrote:
In article m,
says...
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:02:12 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"
wrote:

I do own a...osculating sander.

[... doubtable story on scrotum injury ... ]

Just because he submitted an article doesn't mean it happened and the
timeframe (20-25 years later) is suspicious to me.

According to http://www.snopes.com/risque/penile/scrotum.htm soemthing
similar really happened...

back to on-topic: My worst injury fromm woodworking tools i got a few
weeks ago when i hacked 1/4 through the first joint of my left index
finger with a hatchet, but as the hatched was really sharp and clean
the cut healed without more help than a band-aid (but the is a slight
bend now in the finger perpendicular to the usual bending plane)...

With power tools i have exerted enough care not to hurt myself.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Steve

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
.com...
since you are the word police, let's get YOU caught up on proper
spelling: "alot" should have been "a lot".

pssssss - that's why he had it in quotes.

Juergen Hannappel

wrote:

I do own a...osculating sander.

[... doubtable story on scrotum injury ... ]

Just because he submitted an article doesn't mean it happened and the
timeframe (20-25 years later) is suspicious to me.

According to http://www.snopes.com/risque/penile/scrotum.htm soemthing
similar really happened...

back to on-topic: My worst injury fromm woodworking tools i got a few
weeks ago when i hacked 1/4 through the first joint of my left index
finger with a hatchet, but as the hatchet was really sharp and clean
the cut healed without more help than a band-aid (but there is a slight
bend now in the finger perpendicular to the usual bending plane)...

With power tools i have exerted enough care not to hurt myself.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

EmbErna

Let's turn this question around a bit...

"What in your opinion is the LEAST dangerous tool in your wood
shop, based on the number and severity of injuries you have
received, not on what you have heard from other people."

Some folks who have NEVER been injured by their table saw
might answer "table saw".

I can only conclude that since a table saw can be the most
dangerous AND also the least dangerous, the REAL danger in
the shop is the USER.

Think about it, the tools themselves are not dangerous, it's
the person using the tool who adds the danger component. Use
every tool with the utmost respect and safety and YOU will be
the least dangerous tool in your shop!

mjbrna
ps. I agree that a table saw may have 'more potential' to injure
when compared with other tools, but that wasn't the question.

Sweet Sawdust wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based
on the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you
have heard from other people.

CW

"Silvan" wrote in message
Seems to me like getting burnt in
various horrible ways is just par for the course with welding.

It is.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17411 Approximate word count: 522330

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:36:59 -0400, Silvan
pixelated:

I should definitely wear boots in the shop, but I have to wear boots
professionally, and I tend to wear my comfortable shoes--sandals or
mocasins--at home, logic be damned. Putting on my boots to go to the shop
feels too much like work.

Lace up some steeltoed shoes for slip-on use and get
the benefit of both safety and convenient comfort.

Or you could always tack 1" medium-density strips of
foam to the top of your sandals, Sport.

- - -
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!
Sweet Sawdust

The only tool that I have not received an injury from is: I can't think of
one that in all my time of wood working, metal working, repair work etc
that I have not received some sort of injury from, although very minor in
almost every case. A few cases from a faulty tool, a few because that was
the only way to use the tool and get the job done, and a lot from pure
carelessness, or improper tool use. Good question.

Sweet Sawdust wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based
on the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what

you
have heard from other people.

Scott Lurndal

"David Binkowski" writes:

I have to admit. I get very giggly when I see someone using a
sharp pen-knife, or screwdriver to force something. Its not
funny exactly, but a feeling of hysteria sets in when I see their
hand begin to tremble, jamming the the small metal object at
whatever they're working on. I can't NOT watch it, but I feel
like covering my eyes still.

Paramedics showed up across the street a couple of weeks ago. They
treated the young man (early 20's) for a puncture wound to the
inner thigh (yeah, about 2" away from the jewels). Turns out he
was trying to separate frozen ravioli with a knife.

scott

Silvan

Bay Area Dave wrote:

since you are the word police, let's get YOU caught up on proper
spelling: "alot" should have been "a lot".

don't you just hate it when somebody out smart-asses you!

That's why I put it in quotes, so nyah!

relax, I'm just jerking your chain!

BTW, don't mention to me I don't capitalize the first words of a
sentence. I'm a lazy typist.

Just as long as you don't suddenly decide to become "kewl" and start using
"u" as a subject pronoun we'll get along fine.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17429 Approximate word count: 522870

Swingman

Walked away from the monitor with my hands deep in my pockets on that one
.... thanks for the mental image.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/24/03

"Gfretwell" wrote in message

for the worst injuries. They just had a guy slip on a ladder Friday and he

cut
3 fingers off on the garage door track when he tried to catch himself. He
grabbed the radius bend and his fingers were sliced off by the bracket at

the
bottom of the curve.
OW! OW! OW!

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:33:51 -0400, Silvan
pixelated:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Lace up some steeltoed shoes for slip-on use and get
the benefit of both safety and convenient comfort.

Slip-on steel-toes? I can't imagine that that would be comfortable, or
safe.

Why not, for either reason?

Or you could always tack 1" medium-density strips of
foam to the top of your sandals, Sport.

Or just drop stuff on my feet occasionally. I can live with it.

Go for it. And since you keep replying to BAD, you deserve it.

-
Gently-used Firestone tires for sale at discount!
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Silvan

Gfretwell wrote:

ladder Friday and he cut 3 fingers off on the garage door track when he
tried to catch himself. He grabbed the radius bend and his fingers were
sliced off by the bracket at the bottom of the curve.
OW! OW! OW!

sucking gasping sounds

Gack!!!!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17452 Approximate word count: 523560

HarryM

"Ward Cleaver" wrote in message
. 150...
Lawrence Wasserman wrote in rec.woodworking

In article ,
Sweet Sawdust wrote:
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,
based on the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on
what you have heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small
wood pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press
same reason.

I lost the tips of five fingers in 1958 to the jointer. My fault. Removed
the guard to flat plane a section of a checkerboard made of 2x2 squares of
walnut and maple. Now, one of these fingers is stiff, and I have cut it two
more times -- table saw and router table -- because of the stiffness. I
also have scars from the drill press [nothing serious, but a friend lost a
finger when the bit caught in a steel bar he was drilling and became a
propellor]. But then, I also have an old scar on my belly from a pet
rabbit, so maybe I scar easily. harrym

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...
Well, while I have no SERIOUS disasters
to report (although I can report that it is a BAD
idea to whip the cut end of a nylon rope by
heating it to melting point, then, absent-mindedly
starting to squeeze it with one's ungloved hand)
it has been my observation that *I* (directly,
and, indirectly any human) in the shop are often
the most dangerous tools.
And I mean that in the best possible
sense.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Wade Lippman

to report (although I can report that it is a BAD
idea to whip the cut end of a nylon rope by
heating it to melting point, then, absent-mindedly
starting to squeeze it with one's ungloved hand)

Thank you for admitting that; I thought I was the only person dumb enough to
have done it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Sweet Sawdust, Timdiana_James wrote:
sweetsawdust wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.
My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

For a couple years I've been saying to folks that the shovel and spade are
the most dangerous tools in my van, with a dodgy back it's just too easy
and get carried away, then straighten up or get home and bang! ("you got
shot...?") just get a twinge that lasts for weeks or a trapped nerve
bundle of joy

I do think I first got the most injuries in the shortest time from filling
knives, early training from a joiner was of course an absolute ton of
sanding, filling and painting, so good quality steel filling knives sanded
clean for years and years, I wouldn't think it'd take more than a leather
belt to get them to the point where you'd use 'em to shave. And so few of
Hampshire's windows and rooves/roofs have my precious claret under the
paintwork.

Most dangerous thing these days is a concrete breaker because of the
possibility of weakened or thin mineral structure and possible broken
fingers if you fall down with the machine, and of course the chopsaw
always makes me double check I'm still fond of both thumbs. I'll probably
skim a skilsaw over my leg in some Steptoesque home project, at some
comedy interval in the future, if I do I'll be sure to add it to the list

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Timdiana_James" wrote
in message roups.com...
sweetsawdust wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based
on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you
have
heard from other people.

Fatigue. When I reach a certain point every tool in the shop is dangerous.
I try to make a hard and fast rule to never do any work after I have had one
beer or anytime I've been working long enough that I start to make mistakes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sweetsawdust wrote:

[...]

It looks like no one has been hurt in over 11 years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2015 7:36 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
roups.com...
sweetsawdust wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,
based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what
you have
heard from other people.

Fatigue. When I reach a certain point every tool in the shop is
dangerous. I try to make a hard and fast rule to never do any work after
I have had one beer or anytime I've been working long enough that I
start to make mistakes.

I have to watch myself more closely when I'm doing a repetitive task
whether cutting boards down to size, jointing, routing, if I have a
large number of the same operation I learned early on that strict
attention must always be observed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 9:07:00 PM UTC-6, Max wrote:

I have to watch myself more closely when I'm doing a repetitive task
whether cutting boards down to size, jointing, routing, if I have a
large number of the same operation I learned early on that strict
attention must always be observed.

I've been doing lots of jointing, lately.... making sure my loose sweatshirt sleeves are pulled up to my elbows. Similarly, I make sure my shirt tail is not loose enough, such that the wind, from the spinning jointer head, doesn't draw my shirt into the blade area.... I don't have the guard installed over the head.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

"Timdiana_James" wrote
in message roups.com...
sweetsawdust wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based
on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you
have
heard from other people.

Fatigue.

That about sums it up...

Case in point: While cleaning up my shop over the past week I came across
part of a glued up panel that was destroyed by a kick back on the table
saw... I was trying to finish the project in time for a show, it was late,
and I was tired. I didn't reinstalled the T-Splitter as I just had to make
one cut... all Hell broke loose. I haven't made a through cut since without
the T-Splitter or crosscut sled in place!

Posted to rec.woodworking

sweetsawdust wrote:

[...]

The most dangerous tool in my shop, at least judged by severity of wounds
so far, is a super-sharp 1/2" chisel which I fumbled and dropped and which
managed to stick itself in the top of my right foot. Luckily it was
oriented to miss cutting anything critical but it sure hurt like hell for a
while.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 19:36:30 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Timdiana_James" wrote
in message roups.com...
sweetsawdust wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based
on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you
have
heard from other people.

Fatigue. When I reach a certain point every tool in the shop is dangerous.
I try to make a hard and fast rule to never do any work after I have had one
beer or anytime I've been working long enough that I start to make mistakes.

Words to live by.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Usually it's the only one in the shop that breathes and has a
heartbeat!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Timdiana_James wrote
in roups.com:

sweetsawdust wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,
based on the number and severity of injuries you have received, not
on what you have heard from other people.
My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small
wood pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press
same reason.

A properly sharpened chisel not handled carefully.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 02:17:43 GMT, sawdustmaker
wrote:

Timdiana_James wrote
in roups.com:

sweetsawdust wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,
based on the number and severity of injuries you have received, not
on what you have heard from other people.
My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small
wood pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press
same reason.

A properly sharpened chisel not handled carefully.

An unsharpened chisel used normally.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

Fatigue. When I reach a certain point every tool in the shop is
dangerous.

Agreed. That's when I start pushing too hard, getting too
wreckless/careless.
Especially as I work with more tools that cut really fast, I'm
recognizing that I have
be more careful that I used to be. I should be grateful for the numerous
small cuts of my youth that taught me good lessons!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003 at 10:59:40 PM UTC-5, Sweet Sawdust wrote:
What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop, based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what you have
heard from other people.

My vote is first the stationary belt sander, Forever letting small wood
pieces get away and scraping fingers, and second the drill press same
reason.

When i think of dangerous I don't think of the sander. Granted I have had a couple of close manicures with my oscillating drum sander. I think many will agree, as some have already, it is the table saw. I was nicked by a spinning blade probably 5-10 seconds after I turned mine off several years ago. Stupid mistake that got me an evening in the emergency room, a chipped bone under a nasty abrasion and some antibiotic shots.

But I also discovered, also several years ago, that a wood lathe can be a sleeping dog. I mounted a glued up rather heavy piece of stock made from 2x4 to make a simple over sized dowel for a project. I started the machine at about 300rpm to round it up and after about ten seconds I was hit smack in the middle of the full face shield. Thank goodness I was wearing it. I never saw the stock leave the lathe. I remember impact and a stinging sensation. I looked down and the work-piece was draped across my arms that were still extended in the working position; and I realized there was blood on the shield. The piece had split out allowing it to fly out of the lathe and as best I could figure it bounced off of the bed and then up to the shield. The flexible face shield had deflected into my face striking my glasses. The stinging sensation and blood were from the left nose-piece and the rims of my glasses scraping my nose and eyebrow. Minor abrasions but thank god I was wearing the shield. two of the four snaps that attach the shield to the hood were busted loose. Scared the #$@% out of me and I never mounted another work piece without a good inspection.

Bill hit it on the head. The brain. The table saw accident was a moment of carelessness after I turned the machine off. The lathe incident might not have been avoidable. But as I said, I always check my stock carefully before mounting it on the lathe.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 10:16:57 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:

Fatigue. When I reach a certain point every tool in the shop is
dangerous.

Agreed. That's when I start pushing too hard, getting too
wreckless/careless.
Especially as I work with more tools that cut really fast, I'm
recognizing that I have
be more careful that I used to be. I should be grateful for the numerous
small cuts of my youth that taught me good lessons!

How many folks would consider a bar clamp to be a dangerous tool?

When I was building my deck many years ago, I wanted to get a visual of what the stair railing would look like. There is a landing about 5 feet off the ground and I wanted to attach the bottom rail to the posts to see how high off of the stair treads I wanted to put it. The closet clamp I had handy was a 36" bar clamp, which I attached to the post with the bar sticking out into the yard.

I stepped back to the side of the steps to look at the rail, decided I wanted it in a different position and started walking towards the landing. My eyes were focused on the clamp where it held the rail to the post and I didn't see the 3/4" x 1/4" end of the bar that was sticking out into the yard. About 2 feet from the railing my head snapped back as the end of the steel bar cracked the lens of my safety glasses, slid up and gouged my forehead.

The end of the steel bar hit the lens dead center. Had I not been wearing safety glasses it probably would have pushed my eyeball back into my head.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 9:07:00 PM UTC-6, Max wrote:
On 2/2/2015 7:36 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Timdiana_James"
roups.com...
sweetsawdust wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,
based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what
you have
heard from other people.

Fatigue. When I reach a certain point every tool in the shop is
dangerous. I try to make a hard and fast rule to never do any work after
I have had one beer or anytime I've been working long enough that I
start to make mistakes.

I have to watch myself more closely when I'm doing a repetitive task
whether cutting boards down to size, jointing, routing, if I have a
large number of the same operation I learned early on that strict
attention must always be observed.

It was a repetitive task that cause the table saw accident I mentioned earlier. I was cutting several small pieces of oak from a long 1" or so piece of square stock. I switched the saw off, started to walk away and realized there was still a piece on the table next to the blade. Over-reached the blade and "thunk-thunk..." It was still turning and my index finger got nicked - all the way to the bone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote in
:

*snip*

[...]

It didn't take long to learn to always wear a face shield (get a good
one) when turning the lathe on. I've been hit in the shield twice since
getting my lathe.

I saw pictures of a grinder wheel break up, and a description of what was
going on. That was enough for me to decide not to stand near the grinder
as it was spinning up. Imagine a machine throwing rocks at 3600 RPM.

Bill hit it on the head. The brain. The table saw accident was a
moment of carelessness after I turned the machine off. The lathe
incident might not have been avoidable. But as I said, I always check
my stock carefully before mounting it on the lathe.

RonB

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 4:26:52 AM UTC-6, Puckdropper at dot wrote:
RonB
:

*snip*

[...]

Yeah - I approach the grinder pretty much as I approach the table saw. I try to keep my body away from the plane of the wheel. Even there you can get buggered.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 9:59:17 AM UTC-6, RonB wrote:
[...]

Come to think of it, I would also add radial arm saw to the list of tools that can hurt you if you have a thought lapse.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2015 7:49 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
Arguably a table saw is the most dangerous tool; it will
take your fingers off faster than you can say "ouch" or
fling pieces of wood at you at incredible speed.

Mine won't. I practice every safety measure known to mankind. ;~)

And my SawStop helps too.

But for me, my Ryoba hand saw has drawn the most blood.