jm

Default best magazine?

Do any of you subscribe to a woodworking magazine? Which one?

Ramsey

Default best magazine? Hey Charlie Self!!

Fine Woodworking
Fine Homebuilding
American Woodworker
Handyman
Wood
Shop Notes
Wood Smith
Woodworkers Journal
Several others. They are all good one month and then not so good the
next. I would refer you to Mr. Charlie Self. He is a well respected
writer who reads this newsgroup. He probably has better insight than
most. I like the advertisements and all the different articles. For
working, get Shop Notes/Wood SMith and American Woodworker. There will
be many different opinions on this subject I dare say.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:31:07 -0500, Traves W. Coppock
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 02:58:58 GMT, "jm"
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Do any of you subscribe to a woodworking magazine? Which one?

yes
several
woodsmith, shop notes (altho this one in on the short list of to get
rid of), and Fine WoodWorking

Charlie Self

Lawrence Ramsey notes:

Fine Woodworking
Fine Homebuilding
American Woodworker
Handyman
Wood
Shop Notes
Wood Smith
Woodworkers Journal

I would add Popular Woodworking, which has some of the best plans I've seen
recently (with styles that appeal to me, which means they may or may not appeal
to y'all...I tend to like classical stuff), Woodworks, Workbench.

I haven't read Fine Homebuilding in a while, but it used to have some great
stuff on molding and case making, cabinet installation and so forth that is not
usually found in more specialized woodworking magazines.

I don't care much for the Reader's Digest interpretation of American Woodworker
(at least as compared to the original, but I'd be just as happy if Fine
WOodworking were still in monochrome) or Family Handyman, but they should be
excellent for beginners.

Woodshop News is very specialized--basically, for the small wood shop
owner--but offers a great deal of material on woods, new machinery, shop set
up, and usually has a few useful jigs per issue.

Charlie Self

Sir Winston Churchill

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

wrote:

Do any of you subscribe to a woodworking magazine? Which one?

I subscribe to "Fine Woodworking" and "Wood".

I pick up "Shop Notes" or "Woodsmith" if something inside interests
me, which is about twice a year.

Although it's not a woodworking magazine in the true sense, I also
like "Fine Homebuilding". FH provides me with many furniture ideas
from pieces I've seen in photos. I've also recently started applying
many of my woodworking skills to the home. Many of my recent projects
have been built-ins, like bookcases, ironing board fold-outs,
cabinetry, and wainscotting.

FWIW, I have yet to be disappointed with a Taunton Publications book
as well. Taunton is the publisher of FWW and FH.

Barry

Grandpa

I sub to Wood. I like the articles, they don't do things that the
'normal' woodworker would never build, and the price was right when I
hopped on. Most of the others seem more geared towards tools than
towards projects. Yeah, they go hand in hand, however a good mix is
necessary and IMO Wood does that. BTW, I'd class myself as an
intermediate WW.

jm wrote:

Do any of you subscribe to a woodworking magazine? Which one?

Bay Area Dave

what I meant to say was "I've perused lots of OTHER WW MAGS at..."

snip.

I've perused lots
of them at Barnes & Noble but wouldn't buy subscriptions to the others.

john carlson

I subscribe to Fine Woodworking and Woodwork.

A bunch of others have been mentioned and I'll browse through all of
them at the local bookstore and buy when they have an interesting
article or two. Woodsmith is one of the ones I pick up most often,
but also Shop Notes, American Woodworker and Woodworker's Journal.

wrote:

Do any of you subscribe to a woodworking magazine? Which one?

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
John van Veen

I used to get Canadian Home Woodworker, Popular Woodworking and many of
those listed in other posts. I now subscribe to Wood but find it to is
getting repetitive so I have opted to join the Woodworkers book club. Mags
are getting to pricey for the one or 2 articles that I might find
interesting. I file old issues and use for reference but it takes a bit of
time to find that plan that "I know was in there" :-) I now buy books that
are about what I am interested in 100% and the bargain bin books cover the
moderate interest subjects.

"jm" wrote in message
Do any of you subscribe to a woodworking magazine? Which one?

Young Carpenter

Fine woodworking would be on my list if I could afford the $$ for it. Worth
the price. Taunton press is like that.
I get American Woodworker which is descent. Their best projects are those
for the shop.
Woodworkers journal is OK too. Originally it was fabulous but about 3
years ago I had to downgrade it. I had the sub for a year but ran out of
money before I could renew.
Popular woodworking is impressive. Not because of the projects (which are
about a 4 out of 5) but the articles are well written. Since I don't have
the money for the projects, the Knowledge is a plus.
I also get woodsmith. Good, not extensive but tries to keep its articles
all related to the projects at hand. Shop notes although it can be separate
acts as the Technical Supplement to Woodsmith.
Wood has some nice projects. I wasn't impressed with the articles
themselves.
There are others out there of course. Take a look around.

--
Young Carpenter

"Save a Tree, Build Furniture"

"jm" wrote in message
Do any of you subscribe to a woodworking magazine? Which one?

woodstrapper

"jm" wrote in message news:SRV1b.183014$Oz4.49360@rwcrnsc54...
Do any of you subscribe to a woodworking magazine? Which one?

I've subscribed to quite a few over the years. I'm currently getting
Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking and Woodworking.

Every magazine has a different mix.

Fine Woodworking - As the title suggests, dedicated to finding the
best way to do things. Balance between power tools and non-powered
tools. Balance of traditional projects and new creative works.

Wood - Mostly power tool focus. Projects are within the reach of the
average woodworker. Occasional extra inclosure.

Popular Woodworking - Mostly power tool focus, with occasional
traditional articles by traditional woodworkers. Projects are not too
difficult.

Woodworking - Every issue has something on creative, gallery and
museum works. Some excellent articles on traditional woodworking.
Articles on environmental or sustainable forest issues. Most issues
profile a noteworthy woodworker.

Woodsmith - No advertising. All projects. Most require a table saw.

ShopNotes - No Advertising. Jigs and work methods.

Can anyone add to the list?

woodstrapper

Phisherman

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:03:04 -0400, "Young Carpenter"
wrote:

Fine woodworking would be on my list if I could afford the $$ for it. Worth
the price. Taunton press is like that.

snip

Fine Woodworking is my favorite, but I can't afford it nor health
insurance right now, as I'm (hopelessly) still looking for employment.

Brett A. Thomas

In article ,
john carlson writes:
I subscribe to Fine Woodworking and Woodwork.

As do I. _Woodwork_ doesn't seem to be as well known (or distributed)
as the others. It's a very "artsy" magazine, and their "gallery"
section often features things like abstract sculpture done in wood.
They also, for example, recently published an article which got
mentioned here about interpreting styles through history.

Anyway, if you think the whole "art vs. craft" debate is a pretentious
waste of time, you probably won't like _Woodwork_. If you're
interested in the art side of woodworking, it's worth a glance and
little off the beaten track (i.e., _Home Depot_ doesn't carry it).

-BAT
Young Carpenter

Which is why I can't afford the $32 price tag or to renew my woodworker's
journal subscription, or pay my bills etc.

--
Young Carpenter

plenty of practice, and you usually make way more noise than intended"

news
wrote:

Fine woodworking would be on my list if I could afford the $$ for it.

Worth
the price. Taunton press is like that.

snip

Fine Woodworking is my favorite, but I can't afford it nor health
insurance right now, as I'm (hopelessly) still looking for employment.

Brian Henderson

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:00:34 -0400, "Young Carpenter"
wrote:

Just as an added note, well over half of these magazines will give you a
chance to sample their magazine for free. Then they send you a bill and if
you like it you pay for it. Sometimes if you hold off an extra month or two
they send you a reduced price. Sometimes you cancel, they continue sending
the magazine and the bill (popular WW did that with me)
Anyway It might give you a chance to see what you like, not to mention the
"free" advice

I did that with Wood Magazine not too long ago. They offered to send
me a couple free issues and since I hadn't seen it in a while, I
figured why not.

I didn't particularly like what I saw, especially at the prices they
wanted to charge, so I cancelled and forgot about it. Then they
started sending me bill after bill after bill, each more threatening
than the last until finally I called their customer service line, sat
on hold for a long time and ripped the person on the other end a new
one. Cancel means cancel. Cancel it. Stop bothering me. Obviously,
if I don't PAY for the thing, and you don't SEND the thing, I don't
want it!

Needless to say, I'll never purchase another issue of Wood again as
long as I live.
Brian Henderson

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:41:43 -0400, "Young Carpenter"
wrote:

I sent in the First Bill, and wrote CANCEL across it.
Next bill acknowledged it as a payment! But I still owed all 19.95 for it.
go figure.
I did as required. I became Unsolicited US mail. I can do anything I want
with it.

Yup, I sent the first bill back with CANCEL which fulfilled my
obligation. Heck, I was supposed to receive two free issues and think
I only got one.