Charlie Self

Default best magazine? Hey Charlie Self!!

Lawrence Ramsey notes:

Fine Woodworking
Fine Homebuilding
American Woodworker
Handyman
Wood
Shop Notes
Wood Smith
Woodworkers Journal

I would add Popular Woodworking, which has some of the best plans I've seen
recently (with styles that appeal to me, which means they may or may not appeal
to y'all...I tend to like classical stuff), Woodworks, Workbench.

I haven't read Fine Homebuilding in a while, but it used to have some great
stuff on molding and case making, cabinet installation and so forth that is not
usually found in more specialized woodworking magazines.

I don't care much for the Reader's Digest interpretation of American Woodworker
(at least as compared to the original, but I'd be just as happy if Fine
WOodworking were still in monochrome) or Family Handyman, but they should be
excellent for beginners.

Woodshop News is very specialized--basically, for the small wood shop
owner--but offers a great deal of material on woods, new machinery, shop set
up, and usually has a few useful jigs per issue.

Charlie Self

Sir Winston Churchill