Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Safe Stop

http://www.sawstop.com/

Is this for real?
has anyone actually used one?
how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety
features?

wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article h_dWh.102630$6m4.6331@pd7urf1no, "Wayne J." wrote:
http://www.sawstop.com/

Is this for real?
has anyone actually used one?
how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety
features?

Here we go again...

SawStop has been discussed _to_death_ on this newsgroup. Please do a Google
Groups search to find the previous discussions (and there have been MANY). If,
after reading all that, you still have any questions, then come back with
them.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:
http://www.sawstop.com/

Is this for real?
has anyone actually used one?
how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety
features?

Here we go again...

SawStop has been discussed _to_death_ on this newsgroup. Please do a
Google
Groups search to find the previous discussions (and there have been MANY).
If,
after reading all that, you still have any questions, then come back with
them.

--
Regards,

sorry for asking. I have read a lot on it and now I thought I would ask a
few questions

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wayne J." wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news
In article h_dWh.102630$6m4.6331@pd7urf1no, "Wayne J."
wrote:
http://www.sawstop.com/

Is this for real?

Absolutely

has anyone actually used one?

Yes. Several posters to this group own the TS and LeeValley uses them in
their stores.

how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety
features?

From reports by users and magaaine articles the saw is top notch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wayne J." wrote in message
sorry for asking. I have read a lot on it and now I thought I would ask a
few questions

You asked one dumb question and posted a link. Periodically, the same
simple question gets posted on other (non woodworking) newsgroups too.
Seems to be an underground advertising medium.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Wayne J." wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news
In article h_dWh.102630$6m4.6331@pd7urf1no, "Wayne J."
wrote:
http://www.sawstop.com/

Is this for real?

Absolutely

has anyone actually used one?

Yes. Several posters to this group own the TS and LeeValley uses them in
their stores.

how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety
features?

From reports by users and magaaine articles the saw is top notch.

thanks. I appreciate the answer

wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Wayne J." wrote in message
sorry for asking. I have read a lot on it and now I thought I would ask a
few questions

You asked one dumb question and posted a link. Periodically, the same
simple question gets posted on other (non woodworking) newsgroups too.
Seems to be an underground advertising medium.

Dumb to you, a civil question to me.

again, sorry I bothered you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
http://www.sawstop.com/

Is this for real?
has anyone actually used one?
how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety
features?

Here we go again...

SawStop has been discussed _to_death_ on this newsgroup. Please do a
Google
Groups search to find the previous discussions (and there have been
MANY). If,
after reading all that, you still have any questions, then come back with
them.

--
Regards,

sorry for asking. I have read a lot on it and now I thought I would ask a
few questions

Wayne, no need to apologize.
The question has come up many times, so most people will just ignore you
since you could have found out the information by googling if you really
wanted to know.
Others like to be helpful and will respond because they enjoy it.
And then there is Doug... He has nothing better to do than respond, but
instead of being helpful, he is nasty. I don't even like to think about
what he is compensating for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I have been away for a couple of years due to illness. I am now getting back
in to woodworking.

Believe it or not, this is the first I have heard of this saw. I have been
researching it as my old Rockwell cabinet saw has about had it. My
preference would be a Unisaw, but this is really getting my interest.

thks for the help
wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

why can't a person just ask a question and not get a civil answer?

Like I have posted above, I have researched this and I am asking for some
genuine opinions. If you don't have one, then don't asnwer.

I am very sorry I cam back to this group.

thank you
wayne

"CW" wrote in message
.net...
This again? Try Google.

"Wayne J." wrote in message
http://www.sawstop.com/

Is this for real?
has anyone actually used one?
how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety
features?

wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article AOfWh.105124$aG1.85718@pd7urf3no, Wayne J. wrote:
...snipped...
Believe it or not, this is the first I have heard of this saw. I have been
researching it as my old Rockwell cabinet saw has about had it. My
preference would be a Unisaw, but this is really getting my interest.

thks for the help
wayne

A Rockwell cabinet saw IS a unisaw, no?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Wayne J." wrote in

why can't a person just ask a question and not get a civil answer?

Like I have posted above, I have researched this and I am asking for
some genuine opinions. If you don't have one, then don't asnwer.

I am very sorry I cam back to this group.

thank you
wayne

The subject has been discussed to death.
What I got from all the opinions is that the Sawstop company would like to
make their patented technology obligatory in the name of safety. They
could not persuade nor legislate that. So they decided to make their own
machine. Apparently it is generally well made, does what it advertizes,
but is expensive. You do the cost-benefit analysis.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
[...]

thanks Han.

I am seeing that as it is about $2,000 higher then a Unisaw up here in
Canada. I think I may still go with the Unisaw or a Jet.

I am going to go talk to a friend at Lee Valley today, though.

thks
Wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wayne J. wrote:
why can't a person just ask a question and not get a civil answer?

Like I have posted above, I have researched this and I am asking for some
genuine opinions. If you don't have one, then don't asnwer.

I am very sorry I cam back to this group.

thank you
wayne

Wayne, let me give you a helpful answer. This is the result
line from an advanced google search on "sawstop":

Results 1 - 10 of 685 for "sawstop" group:rec.woodworking

Would you like for us to repeat all of the previous posts, or
just the ones that pertain to what you are asking? Wouldn't
it be easier just to look at the 685 previous posts on the
subject in this NG, then if there is something that has not
already been covered, you could ask about that?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Toller" wrote:

Others like to be helpful and will respond because they enjoy it.
And then there is Doug... He has nothing better to do than respond, but
instead of being helpful, he is nasty.

There was nothing nasty in what I wrote. I pointed him to a place where he
could get answers to his questions. What's your problem with that?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article q4nWh.111119$aG1.88833@pd7urf3no, "Wayne J." wrote:
why can't a person just ask a question and not get a civil answer?

Why can't a person do a little research before asking a question that's
already been answered a hundred times?

Like I have posted above, I have researched this and I am asking for some
genuine opinions.

To be quite honest, I don't believe that. If you had done any research on the
SawStop in Google Groups, you would have found plenty of genuine opinions,
both positive and negative.

If you don't have one, then don't asnwer.

A gentle suggestion that you should do a little research on your own *is* a
"genuine opinion". If you don't like it, don't read it.

I am very sorry I cam back to this group.

You're probably not the only one.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

He has nothing better to do than respond, but instead of being helpful, he
is nasty. I don't even like to think about what he is compensating for.

Nasty? If you think anyone here is nasty, spend a few days over at
rec.outdoors.rv-travel. Salty bunch of *******s!

BTW, ignore Doug and ask away. Most folks over here are pretty easy to get
along with. Apparently it's Doug's time of the month.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "RonB" wrote:

He has nothing better to do than respond, but instead of being helpful, he
is nasty. I don't even like to think about what he is compensating for.

Nasty? If you think anyone here is nasty, spend a few days over at
rec.outdoors.rv-travel. Salty bunch of *******s!

BTW, ignore Doug and ask away. Most folks over here are pretty easy to get
along with. Apparently it's Doug's time of the month.

I'm waiting for you to make similar comments about CW, whose response to Wayne
was considerably more abrupt than mine.
RonB

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wayne J." wrote in message

I have been away for a couple of years due to illness. I am now getting
back in to woodworking.

Believe it or not, this is the first I have heard of this saw. I have been
researching it as my old Rockwell cabinet saw has about had it. My
preference would be a Unisaw, but this is really getting my interest.

thks for the help
wayne

Eight to ten years and farther back the Unisaw would have been a good
choice. Since then it simply is not what it usta be. Delta was having QC
problems with the saw and their have been many reports of new Unisaws
arriving with broken trunions. For a while Delta blamed the shipping
company. Either way, Jet, Grizzly and Powermatic would probably be equal
or better alternatives. FIY.

The SawStop is probably be a better alternative but will cost more. The
SawStop has been around for 5 or 6 years and has been in production and for
sale for 2 or 3 years. "Some" early models were exhibiting false triggers
however those that reported this have also indicated that the SawStop people
worked with them to resolve the problem. One of the problems was that a one
of the users in a shop of users caused false triggers because of the
electronic watch that he was wearing IIRC. Apparently some type of diode
was added to the electrical circuit to solve the problem, IIRC it was also
reported by the same owner that the saw triggered again with the same user
but this time it saved a trip to the hospital.
One of the most common questions about the saw concerning the ability to
trigger is if the saw will trigger with the power off. What if the
electricity goes off and the lights go out while sawing? Apparently the saw
still has the ability to trigger if the power is lost or if you turn the
power swath off and the blade is still spinning.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wayne J." wrote in message

I am going to go talk to a friend at Lee Valley today, though.

There you go, smart idea. Advice and or actual experience, perhaps a hands
on trial would be the best answer to you questions. As indicated this has
been discussed here to some length and many dislike the company and
therefore the saw because of the way it was being introduced in the early
days. They wanted the government to require that this safety devise be
added to ALL saws. Many calimed that the saw would never make it to market
because of the lack of interest and or money. It's here, and apparently it
is liked my more than a few thought.

Either way, it is a good idea to to the toughy feely thing with any sizeable
investment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
http://www.sawstop.com/

Is this for real?
has anyone actually used one?
how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety
features?

Here we go again...

SawStop has been discussed _to_death_ on this newsgroup. Please do a
Google
Groups search to find the previous discussions (and there have been MANY).
If,
after reading all that, you still have any questions, then come back with
them.

--
Regards,

sorry for asking. I have read a lot on it and now I thought I would ask a
few questions

I have been using one at work for about four months now, and it is a
great saw. We all know about the nickel test, well, this saw passes the
dime test. I can stand the dime on edge with the saw stopped, turn it
on and it hardly even wiggles. I have not told my kids about the safety
feature because some would intentionally trip it to see it work. Some
of my advanced kids know about it, but I have asked them to keep it to
themselves.

Believe it or not, one of our school janitors wanted to see how it
worked and touched an allen wrench to the spinning blade and tripped it.
Ruined the blade and a cartridge. I was ****ed. Another janitor told
me who did it and I confronted the dumb turd. He fessed up and bought
both out of his own pocket.

Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Eight to ten years and farther back the Unisaw would have been a good
choice. Since then it simply is not what it usta be.

According to Frank B., and everything I've seen myself backs him up, any
"UniSaw, pre 2003, and with the marathon motor", and you will be getting
what us old-timer's would expect when buying a "UniSaw".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

has anyone actually used one?

Yes.**Several*posters*to*this*group*own*the*TS*and **LeeValley*uses*them*in
their stores.

As does Woodcraft. And the safety feature was tested (inadvertently) by a
student in one of our classes - worked great, only a bandaid was needed..

They're getting very popular with commercial sites and schools. A local large
cabinet shop has 15-20 of them and claims to have already saved several
fingers.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wayne J. wrote:

am seeing that as it is about $2,000 higher then a Unisaw up here in
Canada. I think I may still go with the Unisaw or a Jet.

Check out Powermatic and General as well.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wayne J." wrote in message
why can't a person just ask a question and not get a civil answer?

Like I have posted above, I have researched this and I am asking for some
genuine opinions. If you don't have one, then don't asnwer.

I am very sorry I cam back to this group.

thank you
wayne

"CW" wrote in message
.net...
This again? Try Google.

"Wayne J." wrote in message
http://www.sawstop.com/

Is this for real?
has anyone actually used one?
how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety
features?

wayne

Wayne, don't give up too soon. I'm a new woodworker (maybe not in years, but
in number of hours spent on it as a hobby) and I've received way more advice
from this group than I could ever hope to contribute in return.

There are some who can be abrupt in their response, but keep in mind that in
a newsgroup nobody owes you an answer. If someone takes the time to type out
a response to your question, that's an act of generosity.

Plus, I think if you look back at your three questions, they truly have been
answered in previous discussions. That's why so many people just respond
with "Do a Google News search".

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

why can't a person just ask a question and not get a civil answer?

Like I have posted above, I have researched this and I am asking for some
genuine opinions. If you don't have one, then don't asnwer.

But you indicated none of that in your original post. There was no sign
you had done any research and you didn't ask for opinions.

--
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.
- Margaret Thatcher

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm waiting for you to make similar comments about CW, whose response to
Wayne
was considerably more abrupt than mine.

You are right. But I suspect the OP didn't realize he was ruining so many
people's days by asking a simple question.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:56:31 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Wayne J." wrote in message

I have been away for a couple of years due to illness. I am now getting
back in to woodworking.

Believe it or not, this is the first I have heard of this saw. I have been
researching it as my old Rockwell cabinet saw has about had it. My
preference would be a Unisaw, but this is really getting my interest.

thks for the help
wayne

Eight to ten years and farther back the Unisaw would have been a good
choice. Since then it simply is not what it usta be. Delta was having QC
problems with the saw.......

Not true. Quote your source. We've been through this before, twice.

and their have been many reports of new Unisaws
arriving with broken trunions.

True, quite some time ago. Any damaged units were replaced under
warranty. Most discovered at the distributor, did not go to the
customer. Has nothing to do with the quality of a unit delivered in
good shape.

For a while Delta blamed the shipping
company.

For very good reason. Trunions were breaking from a specific tip over
which generally happened on shipping docks during LTL shipment.

Either way, Jet, Grizzly and Powermatic would probably be equal
or better alternatives. FIY.

Today's Unisaw is equal in design to any Unisaw going back to the mid
eighties. What has changed is the location of assembly, the fact that
some of the machined grey iron is from the orient and the fact that
the motor is WEG from Brazil. Because of this I would prefer a
pre-2003 unit, however, I wouldn't say that the WEG motor is less
powerful, efficient, or reliable than the Chinese motors used on most
imported saws. I would simply prefer Marathon. And of course PM66 is
excepted, not in the same class with say, Grizzzly and by design
different type of trunion/yoke assembly

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

Eight to ten years and farther back the Unisaw would have been a good
choice. Since then it simply is not what it usta be. Delta was having QC
problems with the saw.......

Not true. Quote your source. We've been through this before, twice.

Texas Tool Traders. They told me this when I was compairing a Unisaw to a
Jet. The Unisaw sat on the show room floor with a broken trunion. A Delta
rep e-mailed me direct concerning this issue in so much that Texas Tool
traders could not repair the saw because of a trunion BO status. The rep
assured me that he would look into resolving the matter.

and their have been many reports of new Unisaws
arriving with broken trunions.

True, quite some time ago. Any damaged units were replaced under
warranty. Most discovered at the distributor, did not go to the
customer. Has nothing to do with the quality of a unit delivered in
good shape.

The broken trunion on the saw that I saw was about 6 years ago.

Frank normally I would agree. But, how is it that the brand saw that
arrives damaged is the Delta Unisaw? I read on this news group from a
respected poster that Delta later admitted that the trunions were being
improperly torqued. A DAGS should show you that comment if you are
interested.
Regardless, if a particular brand tool is having a problem with
transportation or manufacturing, that is a QC problem and it is that brands
problem until the problem is resolved.

To be fair, there have been many reports of Grizzlys being delivered tipped
over and up side down. Oddly many reportedly had only superficial damage.

Perhaps Delta would not be in the shape it is in today had corporate greed
not entered into the equasion and continued to deliver a compeditive quality
product.

I really have nothing to gain one way or the other concerning the problems
Delta is having or has had. I own and have owned a few Delta tools and
strongly considered the Unisaw to be my first choice when buying 6 or 7
years ago but then I went to the local dealer and listened to his comments,
the reps comments, and the posts on this group, and then directly compared
the Unisaw to the Jet cabinet saw, well you get the picture.

I am not saying that the Unisaw is a bad choice, again I am only saying that
the Unisaw is not what it used to be and the QC has not been up to par with
the competition.

For a while Delta blamed the shipping
company.

For very good reason. Trunions were breaking from a specific tip over
which generally happened on shipping docks during LTL shipment.

Why were the other brand saws not being tipped over like the Deltas? Was
Delta being targeted?
This went on for a few years IIRC. Why was packageing not improved to
prevent this? QC does not stop at the factory door. Perhaps equipment
built to withstand a boat ride holds up better on the docks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

Eight to ten years and farther back the Unisaw would have been a good
choice. Since then it simply is not what it usta be.

According to Frank B., and everything I've seen myself backs him up, any
"UniSaw, pre 2003, and with the marathon motor", and you will be getting
what us old-timer's would expect when buying a "UniSaw".

Ok, I'll go with that, however the ones with the broken trunions were older
than the 2003 and later models.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Next time specifically request "civil" opinions ... while you still may
not
get any, you will at least have a leg to stand on when whining.

;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

;~)

Hey, ya gotta be TOUGH in this 'hood!

Looking forward to the music at the park and the wine, popsicles, cards,
company,,,,,

Would you like to see my new Pinner????

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

Eight to ten years and farther back the Unisaw would have been a good
choice. Since then it simply is not what it usta be.

According to Frank B., and everything I've seen myself backs him up, any
"UniSaw, pre 2003, and with the marathon motor", and you will be getting
what us old-timer's would expect when buying a "UniSaw".

Ok, I'll go with that, however the ones with the broken trunions were
older than the 2003 and later models.

Leon has a point. When I worked at Delta, we had two common failurs in the
older unisaws, trunions and starters. The starters we used in Canada were
prone to failure on the contact points. The trunions coould just macigally
snap. We used to believe it was QC. The later generaion ones were better.
Still my favorite, but the SawStop is getting my attention. I still have all
10 fingers, but I have had my share of scares.

Wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message

He has nothing better to do than respond, but instead of being helpful,
he is nasty. I don't even like to think about what he is compensating
for.

Nasty? If you think anyone here is nasty, spend a few days over at
rec.outdoors.rv-travel. Salty bunch of *******s!

BTW, ignore Doug and ask away. Most folks over here are pretty easy to
get
along with. Apparently it's Doug's time of the month.

RonB

thanks Ron. The only other NG, I go to is RORT, so I am used to it.

wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message

I'm waiting for you to make similar comments about CW, whose response to
Wayne
was considerably more abrupt than mine.

You are right. But I suspect the OP didn't realize he was ruining so many
people's days by asking a simple question.

RonB

It was just a question. sheeeesh.

wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
Wayne J. wrote:

am seeing that as it is about $2,000 higher then a Unisaw up here in
Canada. I think I may still go with the Unisaw or a Jet.

Check out Powermatic and General as well.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

I used to work for Delta. General is my next favorite. I never could afford
a Powermatic.

wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wayne J." wrote in message
why can't a person just ask a question and not get a civil answer?

Like I have posted above, I have researched this and I am asking for some
genuine opinions. If you don't have one, then don't asnwer.

I am very sorry I cam back to this group.

thank you
wayne

"CW" wrote in message
.net...
This again? Try Google.

"Wayne J." wrote in message
http://www.sawstop.com/

Is this for real?
has anyone actually used one?
how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety
features?

wayne

Man, this is a tough crowd.

Anyways, thanks everyone for your opinions. I am going to explore it, along
with Delta and a couple of others. SWMBO is getting real concerned with my
old saw, so maybe she will let me spring for a "safer" saw.

Wayne