Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Safe Stop

"Wayne J." wrote in message
news:AOfWh.105124$aG1.85718@pd7urf3no...

I have been away for a couple of years due to illness. I am now getting
back in to woodworking.

Believe it or not, this is the first I have heard of this saw. I have been
researching it as my old Rockwell cabinet saw has about had it. My
preference would be a Unisaw, but this is really getting my interest.

thks for the help
wayne

Eight to ten years and farther back the Unisaw would have been a good
choice. Since then it simply is not what it usta be. Delta was having QC
problems with the saw and their have been many reports of new Unisaws
arriving with broken trunions. For a while Delta blamed the shipping
company. Either way, Jet, Grizzly and Powermatic would probably be equal
or better alternatives. FIY.

The SawStop is probably be a better alternative but will cost more. The
SawStop has been around for 5 or 6 years and has been in production and for
sale for 2 or 3 years. "Some" early models were exhibiting false triggers
however those that reported this have also indicated that the SawStop people
worked with them to resolve the problem. One of the problems was that a one
of the users in a shop of users caused false triggers because of the
electronic watch that he was wearing IIRC. Apparently some type of diode
was added to the electrical circuit to solve the problem, IIRC it was also
reported by the same owner that the saw triggered again with the same user
but this time it saved a trip to the hospital.
One of the most common questions about the saw concerning the ability to
trigger is if the saw will trigger with the power off. What if the
electricity goes off and the lights go out while sawing? Apparently the saw
still has the ability to trigger if the power is lost or if you turn the
power swath off and the blade is still spinning.