Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Erich J. Schultheis

Default is it safe to

plug in a TV to the cable box and use the cable box to control current
to the TV?

I know is probably there for older TVS but what about newer TVs with
more complex circuitry?

Could I possibly damage anything within the TV but suddenly cutting off
the electricity with the cable box?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
ups.com...
plug in a TV to the cable box and use the cable box to control current
to the TV?

I know is probably there for older TVS but what about newer TVs with
more complex circuitry?

Could I possibly damage anything within the TV but suddenly cutting off
the electricity with the cable box?

TVs and all AC powered electronics needs to be able to survive power outages
and/or anything that suddenly shuts the power off.

my TV (an older model) loses its channel memory every time it loses power.

most newer TVs come with a little R/C box that pretty handy for on/off
control when it isn't lost under the couch.

some older TVs kept the tube warm even when shut off so it would come on
faster. this required power to be present.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Puckdropper

"TimPerry" wrote in
:

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
ups.com...
plug in a TV to the cable box and use the cable box to control
current to the TV?

I know is probably there for older TVS but what about newer TVs with
more complex circuitry?

Could I possibly damage anything within the TV but suddenly cutting
off the electricity with the cable box?

TVs and all AC powered electronics needs to be able to survive power
outages and/or anything that suddenly shuts the power off.

*snip problems and possibilities*

Some TVs don't turn back on after a power outage. You must turn them on
manually.

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Spartan

LCD TV's have fans that run 2-3 minuets after the TV is shut off to cool the
lamp. Failure to do this will reduce the lifespan of the lamp.

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
ups.com...
plug in a TV to the cable box and use the cable box to control current
to the TV?

I know is probably there for older TVS but what about newer TVs with
more complex circuitry?

Could I possibly damage anything within the TV but suddenly cutting off
the electricity with the cable box?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

Erich J. Schultheis wrote:

plug in a TV to the cable box and use the cable box to control current
to the TV?

I know is probably there for older TVS but what about newer TVs with
more complex circuitry?

Could I possibly damage anything within the TV but suddenly cutting off
the electricity with the cable box?

I think it saves wear and tear on the SMPS, and adds convinience if the
set turns on when plugged in, like a sony that's been unplugged when on.
If you need to press the power button after plugging in, then it's just
an extra step.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Some TVs don't turn back on after a power outage. You must turn them on
manually.

Most TV's actually, the only exception I know of offhand is Sony. The
rest, no damage will be done, but when you reapply power the set will be
off and usually will have forgotten some of it's settings.