Gerald Ross

Default DP depth stop / quill stop

Anonymous wrote:

The drill press I bought (and am beginning to regret my haste in
purchasing) has neither a depth stop nor a quill stop. It is okay for
drilling through holes but not for drilling matched depth holes. Does
anyone know of an aftermarket source for such devices? I think it would
look like a threaded rod attached to a fixed bottom plate that would
travel with the quill and an upper guide plate permanently affixed to
the housing with a nut above and below to limit travel of the quill.

I can almost 'see' the durned thing with my minds eye but I don't have any
metalworking tools (or metal stock) up to the task. I could get the stock
at Production Tool or even from 'found steel' near just about any factory
near me, but the tools are well beyond my budget.

In fact, would anybody (with the appropriate tools and skills) be willing
to work up a prototype from my drawings?

Bill

Does it not have the little wheel with numbers on it that
turns as the quill comes down?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I am a mental tourist. My mind wanders.

Paul Kierstead

Anonymous wrote:
The drill press I bought (and am beginning to regret my haste in
purchasing) has neither a depth stop nor a quill stop.

Are you *absolutely* sure? I won't claim to have seen every one ever
made, but even the cheapest junkiest DP's I have seen have a depth stop.
A DP without one is almost pointless.
Paul Kierstead

Anonymous wrote:
Yes, it has the travel dial. What I am looking for is a way to block it
from going beyond a certain point. I can set the travel dial to show me
when I have gone a certain distance but what I want is a device that will
let me travel that distance and NO further.

The travel dial should have a knob/thingy to loosen it so it rotates
freely. Using this it will function as a depth stop. Basically, it stops
at zero, so if you adjust the dial so "zero" is at a different place,
you get a depth stop. Put a workpiece underneath; turn handles down
until bit contacts the piece; adjust the dial until it reads the desired
depth and lock the dial. There are other ways to muck with it too.

PK

Check the "travel dial" should have a lever or knob to set the depth.
If not at least it should have a threaded hole for one.I do not believe
it is possible to put a threaded rod depth stop and or quill lock on a
machine that was not set up for one. You would need a yoke that goes
around the quill and a way to mount the yoke on the drill press
body.The quill lock is threaded into the yoke on this type of machine.
Any drill press without a quill lock is very limited.
mike

noisy plumbing and no stop cock! Micko UK diy 2 April 20th 04 10:27 AM
Mitre Stop Available Anywhere . Stuart UK diy 2 December 25th 03 10:22 AM
Stop cock leaking Rich UK diy 7 September 29th 03 01:45 PM
Low water pressure and stop tap? Simom UK diy 1 July 24th 03 06:19 PM
Slow leak on compression joint - can't access stop cock The Natural Philosopher UK diy 4 July 10th 03 02:34 PM