The Natural Philosopher

Default Slow leak on compression joint - can't access stop cock

Burgess Taylor wrote:

Oh dear, its all very complicated!

I live upstairs in a maisonette, and the cold water tanks for both
flats are in the loft, only accessible via my flat. I am a private
leaseholder, downstairs are council tenants, and don't speak any
English.

A council plumber recently fitted a new float valve on their tank, and
an in-line stop valve for emergencies. This was a major hassle, as we
had to arrange a time when I was in (ie take time off work) and they
were in (to get to stop cock) all without speaking a common language.

Anyhow, its all done now, but there is a very slow leak where the
mains water comes into the new stop valve - about 2 drips an hour, and
possibly getting slower.

Be sure and check that this IS a leak, and not condensation..

Right now teh humidioty is my house is high eb=nough to trigger rteh
humidistat fans at the merest whiff of steam, teh wood everyweher has
gone to maximum exoansion, and, last year when I was doing the kitchen I
had a cupful of condensate dripping off the incoming mains water pipe.
Every day.

Am I right in thinking this will just fur up in time and fix itself,
or should I stick something on it (eg that leak putty stuff) or should
I go through all the hassle of getting the plumber back in again ?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Wait and see is my advice...and advise the plumber that you are doing so.

Cheers,

B.

Burgess Taylor

Thanks for your suggestions.

Well, it seems to have slowed down to one drip in 12 hours, so I'm
keeping my fingers crossed for now...

B.
Roger Mills

Burgess Taylor wrote in message
m...
Thanks for your suggestions.

Well, it seems to have slowed down to one drip in 12 hours, so I'm
keeping my fingers crossed for now...

B.

It must be an exciting job monitoring it! [Even more so than watching paint
dry.]

Roger

Burgess Taylor

Well, it does seem to have stopped now, touch wood. Yes, it was a very
exciting job monitoring it. I almost considered sticking a spare cctv
camera I have up there with an infra-red light to save going up and
down the ladder!

Yes, it was definately the nut, and no it definately wasn't
condensation.

Now I want to know WHY it stopped, and if it will stay stopped. Is it
'cos it scales up, or do these things bed in as the copper woulds
itself to the fitting?
What happens when the weather gets colder ;-)

Thanks for all your help, folks!

Burgess
Burgess Taylor

Be assured, it's waiting for January to come around

Now you're scaring me... :-o