Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HVLP sprayer what should I buy?

I am going to need a HVLP sprayer, but its something I am not going to
using lots. I seen a cheap one on Harbor freight for about $40 (self
contained), but I noticed there are some that you hook up to a
compresser. What would be better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bdeditch" wrote:

I am going to need a HVLP sprayer, but its something I am not going to
using lots. I seen a cheap one on Harbor freight for about $40 (self
contained), but I noticed there are some that you hook up to a
compresser. What would be better?

It would help if you'd post a link to the alternatives you are asking
about. There is a unit sold by HF, Rockler, and Woodcraft that sells
for $100, frequently marked down to $80. I have that one and
recommend it as long as you take if for what it is--a light duty tool
for very limited use. If I find that I am having lots of spraying
projects, I will probably want to upgrade, but you can get excellent
results with this unit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:
"bdeditch" wrote:

I am going to need a HVLP sprayer, but its something I am not going
to using lots. I seen a cheap one on Harbor freight for about $40
(self contained), but I noticed there are some that you hook up to a
compresser. What would be better?

It would help if you'd post a link to the alternatives you are asking
about. There is a unit sold by HF, Rockler, and Woodcraft that sells
for $100, frequently marked down to $80. I have that one and
recommend it as long as you take if for what it is--a light duty tool
for very limited use. If I find that I am having lots of spraying
projects, I will probably want to upgrade, but you can get excellent
results with this unit.

Also it would help if he said whether he already had a compressor and if
so how big.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Most HVLP hooks to a turbine.(Spend$$command)

The one's that connect via a compressor are using
a "adapter kit" to make it work. They are the so called
"convsersion gun".

A $40 gun is just that and should not be considered a
serious finishing tool.

There are several versions of the $100 kit that comes
with a gun and a turbine. Some folks report fair results
but most report that upgrading to a real system is in the
future.

Start thinking in the $600-$800 range for the starter kit.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Informa...odworking3.htm

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5419

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5853

bdeditch wrote:

I am going to need a HVLP sprayer, but its something I am not going to
using lots. I seen a cheap one on Harbor freight for about $40 (self
contained), but I noticed there are some that you hook up to a
compresser. What would be better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

bdeditch wrote:
I am going to need a HVLP sprayer, but its something I am not going to
using lots. I seen a cheap one on Harbor freight for about $40 (self
contained), but I noticed there are some that you hook up to a
compresser. What would be better?

I would be interested in what makes a HVLP system light duty?
Is the quality on the finish comparable to the 600+ systems? Its got
to be better than using spray cans.. or not.
Is it hard to clean?
Is the unit awkward to use in some way?
If I only use it a few times a year and the finish quality is good I
can live with many deficiencies.
Also are all these units ($80-$100) the same or is there a better one
you can recommend of the cheap variety?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 30, 12:33 pm, "bdeditch" wrote:
I am going to need a HVLP sprayer, but its something I am not going to
using lots. I seen a cheap one on Harbor freight for about $40 (self
contained), but I noticed there are some that you hook up to a
compresser. What would be better?

I was using a pro DeVilbiss HVLP with pressure pot for several years
and thought it was the cat's pyjamas.
Then, after retirement (yea right) I bought a much cheaper HD brand
Huskey HVLP gravity fed gun. It does a very fine job. I since bought a
2 qt pressure pot for 40 bucks and fed the material hose into the top
of the Huskey gun to replace the gravity-fed pot. Now the thing sprays
upside-down and the feed of material can be dialed in to perfection,
and the whole set-up is now working as well as the big-buck DeVilbiss
system.
I'm a very happy camper as the whole deal cost under $200.00 Canadian.
In the US, you should be able to do that for around $130.00
I shoot water-based lacquers exclusively now, so I have no opinion on
other, heavier paints/finishes.

I love the whole game of discovering the re-branding process. That
Huskey gun? I'm pretty sure it is DeVilbiss.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bdeditch wrote:
I am going to need a HVLP sprayer, but its something I am not going
to using lots. I seen a cheap one on Harbor freight for about $40
(self contained), but I noticed there are some that you hook up to a
compresser. What would be better?

I would be interested in what makes a HVLP system light duty?
Is the quality on the finish comparable to the 600+ systems? Its got
to be better than using spray cans.. or not.
Is it hard to clean?
Is the unit awkward to use in some way?
If I only use it a few times a year and the finish quality is good I
can live with many deficiencies.
Also are all these units ($80-$100) the same or is there a better one
you can recommend of the cheap variety?

The Rockler and Woodcraft models are near as I can tell the same.

On those the disadvantages are that there is no air volume control, just
paint volume, the air doesn't shut off when you release the trigger so
they blow things around, and as far as I have been able to tell there's
only the single nozzle size available. While the important bits are
brass the rest is plastic.

Finish quality can be quite good but you have to be more careful with
thinning and may have to dink with it more than with a gun that has
different nozzle sizes available and an air volume control.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not really talking to myself...no really..

But I thought this addendum might be helpful for those who want to do
a quality job without blowing big bucks.

This device:
is not as crappy as one would think. It is a great way to learn how to
paint. There is no fussing with syphon-fed guns and it is cheaper than
a decent gravity fed gun.

The hard part of spraying is to get the ratio paint/air right. With a
pot-fed system, it is much easier than with gravity or syphon set-up.
Gravity-fed is a bit easier than syphon.

I can vouch for this gun:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...p?pn=100037831
it has worked for me as well as a much more expensive set-up.

As you can see. $ 130.00 US and you're all set including a spare HVLP
for stain and crap.

My guns last a long time because I am so anal about clean-up... right
to disassembling the things after use.

By no means am I a Home Depot fan, but I like that gun.
Now, with the cheap addition of a 2-qt pot, I can spray under things
and stand on my head.

Hopefully other wRECkers ( Mike Marlow please) can add to this and
offer us their views on pressurepot-feeding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Where does one get Huskey in Canada Rob?

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 1, 5:49 pm, Tanus wrote:

Where does one get Huskey in Canada Rob?

You may have been led astray by my misspelling Husky.

My spelling sux sometimes. You can buy that gun at Home Despot.

Have you got a Princess Auto near you? They sell the 2-qt pots.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 1, 5:49 pm, Tanus wrote:

Where does one get Huskey in Canada Rob?

You may have been led astray by my misspelling Husky.

My spelling sux sometimes. You can buy that gun at Home Despot.

Have you got a Princess Auto near you? They sell the 2-qt pots.

I wasn't led astray. I was too lazy to
DAGS.

I think Princess is here in town as
well. Thanks. I'll keep that for the
future. I don't have a compressor yet,
but I'm squirelling away these gems for
when the shop is better equipped. (I'm
thinking first anniversary of 2nd WW)

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

The Rockler and Woodcraft models are near as I can tell the same.

On those the disadvantages are that there is no air volume control, just
paint volume, the air doesn't shut off when you release the trigger so
they blow things around, and as far as I have been able to tell there's
only the single nozzle size available. While the important bits are
brass the rest is plastic.

Finish quality can be quite good but you have to be more careful with
thinning and may have to dink with it more than with a gun that has
different nozzle sizes available and an air volume control.

FYI, mine (from Rockler) came with an extra, smaller needle/nozzle
set. Nowhere on the packaging or in the instructions was that
mentioned, but it was in there. And I have to thin so much to get good
spra with the standard nozzle, I don't know waht would be thin enough
to spray with the finer one--maybe alcohol soluable dyes?

The rest of your comments agree with my experience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Where did you get a 2-qt pressure pot for $40 ???

That gun also appears to be the very same one offered
by Porter Cable...

Robatoy wrote:

My spelling sux sometimes. You can buy that gun at Home Despot.

Have you got a Princess Auto near you? They sell the 2-qt pots.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Are you talking about this one:

I bought one this weekend with their e-coupon for $35. I'm a complete
spraying noob so take it for what it's worth but I was pleasantly surprised.
I fully expected to end up taking it back. I needed to spray some shellac
and it did an excellent job once I figured out which spray pattern to use
and dialed back the material flow. Quality of the sprayer is not great but
it's better than I expected. You can't upgrade the gun because of the way it
fits on the paint canister so it's basically a throw away item but for $35,
if it gets me through a dozen projects I'll be happy.
You won't find it at your local custom auto body shop but hey, it's $35.

"bdeditch" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am going to need a HVLP sprayer, but its something I am not going to
using lots. I seen a cheap one on Harbor freight for about $40 (self
contained), but I noticed there are some that you hook up to a
compresser. What would be better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 2, 1:40 pm, "Combustis Maximus"
wrote:
Are you talking about this one:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91772

Nope

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 2, 3:14 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
Didn't he say he attached the gun(gravity feed) to that
pressure pot or am I screwed up completely ???

That is exactly what I did. Pressure feed into a gun which normally
has a gravity cup.
The hose on top is a bit of a hinderance, but it isn't much of a
problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 2, 10:40 am, "Combustis Maximus"
wrote:
Are you talking about this one:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91772

I bought one this weekend with their e-coupon for $35. I'm a complete
spraying noob so take it for what it's worth but I was pleasantly surprised.
I fully expected to end up taking it back. I needed to spray some shellac

Yes that is exactly the one I was talking about. I figured for that
price even if I used it a couple of times, its better than a brush.

and it did an excellent job once I figured out which spray pattern to use
and dialed back the material flow. Quality of the sprayer is not great but
it's better than I expected. You can't upgrade the gun because of the way it
fits on the paint canister so it's basically a throw away item but for $35,
if it gets me through a dozen projects I'll be happy.
You won't find it at your local custom auto body shop but hey, it's $35.

"bdeditch" wrote in message

ups.com...

I am going to need a HVLP sprayer, but its something I am not going to
using lots. I seen a cheap one on Harbor freight for about $40 (self
contained), but I noticed there are some that you hook up to a
compresser. What would be better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

My guns last a long time because I am so anal about clean-up... right
to disassembling the things after use.

You better know it! You can't get too anal about cleaning your guns. I
still shoot with a couple of 25 year old Binks Model 7's and they perform
flawlessly. It all owes to keeping them clean. For lobbing on the primer,
you just can't beat a Model 7.

By no means am I a Home Depot fan, but I like that gun.
Now, with the cheap addition of a 2-qt pot, I can spray under things
and stand on my head.

Hopefully other wRECkers ( Mike Marlow please) can add to this and
offer us their views on pressurepot-feeding.

I'm really not a very authoritative voice on pressure pots. I don't use
them because they don't fit my needs and because I've got my ingrained
habits/ways of doing things. I use a pot to shoot my house (log home), but
that's not a very comparable use.

What I will add though is my thought that for most people these knock-off
guns are perfectly fine guns. The biggest problem I've seen with most of
them is that often you can't get such things as packing/rebuild kits for
them. I have a DeVilbiss knock-off that is so true to the real DeVilbiss
that I interchange the parts between the knock-off and my DeVilbiss. I
could not get a packing kit for the knock-off so I bought a DeVilbiss kit.
Worked fine, but at $35 for the kit, I really would have been better off
just buying a new knock-off. But... I just couldn't bring myself to throw
out/replace an otherwise perfectly fine gun.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

: I can vouch for this gun:
: http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...p?pn=100037831
: it has worked for me as well as a much more expensive set-up.

: As you can see. $ 130.00 US and you're all set including a spare HVLP
: for stain and crap.

The page that comes up on this link lists a gun for
$79.97. And I don't see a 'spare HVLP".

Was this the gun you meant?

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 3, 8:56 pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

: I can vouch for this gun:
:http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...uct.jsp?pn=100...
: it has worked for me as well as a much more expensive set-up.

: As you can see. $ 130.00 US and you're all set including a spare HVLP
: for stain and crap.

The page that comes up on this link lists a gun for
$79.97. And I don't see a 'spare HVLP".

Was this the gun you meant?

-- Andy Barss

The pressure pot from Harborfreight comes with a gun. That is the pot
you can hook up to the Husky HVLP... giving you, in fact, a spare.

HVLP sprayer RM MS Woodworking 19 March 6th 07 06:27 PM
HVLP Sprayer question [email protected] Woodworking 13 December 13th 05 03:51 PM
HVLP Sprayer?? Ron A Woodworking 1 December 31st 03 09:02 AM
please help with HVLP sprayer question Duke Woodworking 3 December 27th 03 04:37 PM
HVLP Sprayer Selection Dominic Palazzola Woodworking 6 July 27th 03 09:12 AM