Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default HVLP sprayer what should I buy?

On Mar 30, 12:33 pm, "bdeditch" wrote:
I am going to need a HVLP sprayer, but its something I am not going to
using lots. I seen a cheap one on Harbor freight for about $40 (self
contained), but I noticed there are some that you hook up to a
compresser. What would be better?

I was using a pro DeVilbiss HVLP with pressure pot for several years
and thought it was the cat's pyjamas.
Then, after retirement (yea right) I bought a much cheaper HD brand
Huskey HVLP gravity fed gun. It does a very fine job. I since bought a
2 qt pressure pot for 40 bucks and fed the material hose into the top
of the Huskey gun to replace the gravity-fed pot. Now the thing sprays
upside-down and the feed of material can be dialed in to perfection,
and the whole set-up is now working as well as the big-buck DeVilbiss
system.
I'm a very happy camper as the whole deal cost under $200.00 Canadian.
In the US, you should be able to do that for around $130.00
I shoot water-based lacquers exclusively now, so I have no opinion on
other, heavier paints/finishes.

I love the whole game of discovering the re-branding process. That
Huskey gun? I'm pretty sure it is DeVilbiss.