JGS

Default HVLP Sprayer Selection

Hi John,
I bought the Turbinaire 1235 a month ago and I love it. I also bought the
small bottle conversion kit which allows me to use 3 or 4 oz bottles for those
small jobs. I have not used any other brand so I cannot say how it compares to
them. Here is their web site if you want to take a look.

http://www.turbinaire.com/turbine/index.htm

While I was spraying yesterday I thought that along with my drum sander this
sprayer (both of which cost much more than my TS, Jointer, ect) have removed a
lot of the drudgery associated with certain phases of WW. Cheers, JG

John King wrote:

I'm tired of brushing on 5 coats on 6 sides and spending more time applying
finish than actually building the project.
So I'm thinking of getting into spraying and I'm looking at the Wagner 2600
, Wagner 2900, or Fuji Q3 HVLP sprayer systems. Other than a review in Fine
Woodworking, I haven't been able to find much info on these systems.
I only get 1 or two major projects a year completed but they end up in the
bedroom & family room, so they need to look good.

Any opinions??
TIA,
John F. King

Mike G

I own a CH 2500 system and a Fuji Q4 system. one cost under $200 the other
over $600 and I've been following reports from those that have bought the
Harbor Freight and Rockler under $100 units. All these units will give, when
you can use them properly (read that practice, practice, practice), a good
finish, even a perfect finish. Naturally I can't recommend the Fuji unit
highly enough and if you have the cash it's the way I would go..

If you are doing one or two projects a year that requires spraying and while
it is nice to own a top of the line unit it isn't necessary to spend a lot
of money. for an HVLP unit.to get the job done. As a matter of fact, if you
own a compressor a conventional gun will do just as well.

HVLP buys you a unit that is more efficient in it's use of materials and a
less messy spray job. Expensive units buy you longevity and some bells and
whistles. not necessarily a better finish.

In short, just about any unit on the market from under a hundred to over a
grand would probably meet your present requirements but none of them
provides a magic carpet ride to a perfect finish. You still have to work at
it.

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
"John King" wrote in message
I'm tired of brushing on 5 coats on 6 sides and spending more time

applying
finish than actually building the project.
So I'm thinking of getting into spraying and I'm looking at the Wagner

2600
, Wagner 2900, or Fuji Q3 HVLP sprayer systems. Other than a review in

Fine
Woodworking, I haven't been able to find much info on these systems.
I only get 1 or two major projects a year completed but they end up in the
bedroom & family room, so they need to look good.

Any opinions??
TIA,
John F. King

ATP

John King wrote:
I'm tired of brushing on 5 coats on 6 sides and spending more time
applying finish than actually building the project.
So I'm thinking of getting into spraying and I'm looking at the
Wagner 2600 , Wagner 2900, or Fuji Q3 HVLP sprayer systems. Other
than a review in Fine Woodworking, I haven't been able to find much
info on these systems. I only get 1 or two major projects a year
completed but they end up in the bedroom & family room, so they need
to look good.

Any opinions??
TIA,
John F. King

I'm pretty happy with my Accuspray. Paint viscosity and air pressure/volume
have to be properly set-up to get really good results, though.

Albert

John,

I feel your pain. I used to spend hours/days/weeks/months wiping on
finish, sanding etc..

Got a Fuji Q3 HVLP Sprayer in June, and its been a complete process
transformation. I'm really moving now through the finishing of my
kitchen cabinet project.

Its a huge time saver and the results are excellent (for me at least,
its better than wiping or brushing or any other mode of applying
finish)

The Q3 is high quality product. The turbine is a low noise unit, the
hose is large and sturdy. The gun has worked flawlessly and the
instruction book is easy to read. Best of all the customer service
department is renowned for rendering outstanding service. I called
them today and requeste a viscosity cup and they mailed one to me -
free.

As an extra, I bought the 6' Flexible Whip Hose, maintenance kit, 3
piece mini-cup set and extra #4 gun nozzle set up. On the web site,
its the "Best Deal" Option. All told spent $710 and shipping is free.

I purchased my Q3 online from the following source....

http://www.phelpsrefinishing.com/fuji.html

If you can justify the expenditure, go for it. You won't be
disappointed.

Good Luck.

-Albert
FOW

I have a Graco 4900 comp spray unit. 2 gallon remote pressure pot with it.
Just so far used the turbine unit with just 1 Qt gun so far. Worked
awesome.Check out just an HVLP 3800 or 4800 Turbine unit, Comes with a REAL
good guns, mine came with 2. I have just sprayed only oil enamel with it
over some old varnish greasy poly one it. Some BCX remind you. They came out
like GLASS !
Not to bad for my first time spraying with a HVLP.
It too 10 minutes to dial it in and shot 2 coats with oil primer. HVLP's are
real slow though. Takes some trim to get used too after using an airless but
they use almost no paint. 80 - 90 % efficient.. Get a good unit with at
least 3 tip combo..........like a 2 3 and 4 tip/ cap combo. Thin material
right and have fun.
"Bill" wrote in message
One of the other wood magazines just did a very long review of HVLP

systems.
If you are interested, I can go look it up.

Bill

"ATP" wrote in message
.net...