Bill Schoenbeck

Default OT Harbor Freight HVLP spray equipment

Hi, Sorry for the off topic post but there seems to be a large
knowledge base regarding Harbor freight products here. I'm looking to
buy a rig for spray painting. I would like it to be general purpose
for use with different finish products But my initial use will be with
latex house paint. I'd like to try HVLP for the advertised benefits of
less overspray and bounceback. I see HF has ITEM 7902-5VGA HVLP
conversion spray gun with a remote 2qt cup for $99.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search
I like the remote cup as I could then spray overhead to do the eaves
on the new addition to the house and have to stop and fill the cup
less often. This unit looks suspiciously like the Wagner HVLP
conversion gun I have seen online at Wagner and Gleem Paint.
http://store.yahoo.com/gleempaint/hvcongunw2qr.html Has anyone used
the HF (or Wagner) rig with latex house paint? Did you thin the latex?
By how much? I have no doubt that either will work for lighter
finishes but am looking for further insight as to the thicker latex.
My compressor is a Devilbiss with a 25 gal. tank and claimed 5hp (no I
don't believe that) and claimed to supply 8.8 SCFM @ 40 psi (not sure
about that). Thanks for any info to make an informed purchase.

Bill
Brian

This looks like a good rig to experiment with, if nothing else. Paint guns
seem to all look alike from the outside to me, I can't tell the difference
between a great one and an adequate one just by looking at them.

I went to an HVLP gun for car painting (race cars, 50/50 paint jobs and
was very impressed. a really good finish, and the economy and mist
reduction was as advertised. I regulated to about 100 psi at the tank, to
50 psi at an intermediate water separator, and to final pressure at the gun
handle. I found that I could do just fine with a 2 hp (real 2 hp, 10 amps
at 220v) 20 gallon tank Webster compressor, but I had to put up with it
hammering away. I could spray about a half a quart (what I mixed at one
time anyway) before I wanted to let it catch up and rest. Not ideal
perhaps, but worked just fine.

Brian

"Bill Schoenbeck" wrote in message
[...]

George E. Cawthon

Bill Schoenbeck wrote:

[...]

I have probably the same compressor as you and bought the
gun to paint popcorn ceilings with latex paint. I was never
able to get it to work satisfactorily with heavy latex. My
main objective was to reduce overspray and get better
coverage. It certainly achieved that, but it was very slow
and I think smooth coverage (not really needed with this
rough surface) would not have been possible. The fault may
be mine, but I was never able to adjust the gun to provide
adequate coverage at a decent rate. For example, the area
that a regular pressure gun would do it 15 minutes would
require an hour using the HVLP gun. The dilution rate that
I used was between 4 and 8 ounces of water plus 4-6 ounces
of Floetrol per quart. I didn't try higher dilutions as I
felt the hiding power would be too adversely affected.

OTOH, I painted a metal building roof with oil based enamel
and was satisfied with the results. I diluted the paint
with about 3 ounces of Penetrol per quart.

I had planed on painting doors with latex paint using this
gun, but have changed my mind as I believe that I could not
get a smooth coverage using the needle and orifice supplied
with this gun.
MP Toolman

Hi,
For things like house painting, I think you would be much happier with a high
pressure airless paint sprayer. Sucks paint directly from the can, thru a high
pressure piston pump, then atomizes thru an orfice at the gun. This is what
painting contractors use. Good ones are pretty pricey. You can rent at many
better paint and building supply stores. I bought a reconditioned Greco model
a couple years ago at Home Depot at a special half price tag sale -- so it was
half off the already discounted reconditioned price -- and it was still almost
more than I could rationalize. I do not use it often, but it sure can apply
paint in a hurry. Wouldn't want to use it for cars or fine furnature. A real
pain (i.e. not worth it) to clean the pump, hoses, and gun after using oil base
paint so I try to only use with water based paints.

Mill

Subject: OT Harbor Freight HVLP spray equipment

Stan Schaefer

[...]

You'll need to get a different air cap and needle, the one supplied
with the unit is too small for thicker materials like latex, you'll
need one with a bigger hole and the matching needle. The part numbers
for mine were listed in the manual. I've only ever used mine for
shellac and auto paints so I've had no experience with latex. If it
were me, I'd go rent an airless rig for the one-time use on the house
along with a pressure washer. The pro airless rigs usually come with
a multi-gallon supply tank. As far as bounce back, the HF HVLP gun
has a little less mist floating around than a regular spray gun, but
it's still there. Not at all like the turbine-type high-end HVLP rigs
I've seen at the woodworking shows. I've gotten a lot of use out of
mine, was a good deal for the money, but you still have to watch out
for the overspray. My compressor is an oil-less portable with an 11
gal. tank, it keeps up with the stuff I finish, mostly small
woodworking projects. I don't think it would do for house painting,
it's rated 4.4 CFM at 90 PSI.

Stan

jim

Stan Schaefer wrote:

[...]

thanks for the info on the Har. freight sprayer.. you did automobile
spray painting with it??? if so please advise me how it came out.... i
need to paint a rubber bumper and metal fender on a 2001 honda... the
only sprayer i have ever used was a $19.95 gun and compressor that i
bought from one of the old time dept. stores( Woolco) which went out of
business in the 1970/s. i use it to paint some Enamel paint on a 75
datsun pickup truck sheet metal that goes under its front bumper.....
had to do it three times, but finally got it to look pretty good....
did you use the modern paint and a clear coat next with this sprayer....
everyone i talk to that does spray painting says that you need a big
compressor and a $1500 gun......hope they are wrong... how did your
paint job come out, which paint did you use(enamel, lacquor, or other..
thanks for a reply.)....
geoff merryweather

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:15:03 GMT, jim wrote:

thanks for the info on the Har. freight sprayer.. you did automobile
spray painting with it??? if so please advise me how it came out.... i
need to paint a rubber bumper and metal fender on a 2001 honda... the
only sprayer i have ever used was a $19.95 gun and compressor that i
bought from one of the old time dept. stores( Woolco) which went out of
business in the 1970/s. i use it to paint some Enamel paint on a 75
datsun pickup truck sheet metal that goes under its front bumper.....
had to do it three times, but finally got it to look pretty good....
did you use the modern paint and a clear coat next with this sprayer....
everyone i talk to that does spray painting says that you need a big
compressor and a $1500 gun......hope they are wrong... how did your
paint job come out, which paint did you use(enamel, lacquor, or other..
thanks for a reply.)....

For what it is worth, I have a couple of spraygusns. One came with
one of those 5 piece "free" kits I got with a 2hp compressor. I use it
only for primer these days, but I managed to paint a van with it.
The other is a gravity feed Wellmade (inspiriing name eh) gun. This
thing rocks and does a great job. Gravity feed guns are easier to
clean than siphon feed ones IMO.
The 2 hp (~9cfm nominal) compressor is marginal for a spraygun for
anything bigger than a small spot touchup. 12cfm minimum
Geoff
Rich S.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:15:03 GMT, jim wrote:

thanks for the info on the Har. freight sprayer.. you did automobile
spray painting with it??? if so please advise me how it came out.... i

I have the HF 43430-4VGA HVLP Gravity feed spray gun and am quite pleased
with it. I've used it to spray Imron and other base coat/clear coat
automotive paints on an airplane. It is so much better than my thirty year
old Devilbiss that I threw the old one in the scrap. The HF unit is
currently on sale for $49.99, but it seems to me they discount it another
ten bucks on occasion.

Rich S.