MP Toolman

Default OT Harbor Freight HVLP spray equipment

Hi,
For things like house painting, I think you would be much happier with a high
pressure airless paint sprayer. Sucks paint directly from the can, thru a high
pressure piston pump, then atomizes thru an orfice at the gun. This is what
painting contractors use. Good ones are pretty pricey. You can rent at many
better paint and building supply stores. I bought a reconditioned Greco model
a couple years ago at Home Depot at a special half price tag sale -- so it was
half off the already discounted reconditioned price -- and it was still almost
more than I could rationalize. I do not use it often, but it sure can apply
paint in a hurry. Wouldn't want to use it for cars or fine furnature. A real
pain (i.e. not worth it) to clean the pump, hoses, and gun after using oil base
paint so I try to only use with water based paints.

Mill

Subject: OT Harbor Freight HVLP spray equipment
From: "George E. Cawthon"
Date: 10/17/2003 2:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Bill Schoenbeck wrote:

Hi, Sorry for the off topic post but there seems to be a large
knowledge base regarding Harbor freight products here. I'm looking to
buy a rig for spray painting. I would like it to be general purpose
for use with different finish products But my initial use will be with
latex house paint. I'd like to try HVLP for the advertised benefits of
less overspray and bounceback. I see HF has ITEM 7902-5VGA HVLP
conversion spray gun with a remote 2qt cup for $99.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search
I like the remote cup as I could then spray overhead to do the eaves
on the new addition to the house and have to stop and fill the cup
less often. This unit looks suspiciously like the Wagner HVLP
conversion gun I have seen online at Wagner and Gleem Paint.
http://store.yahoo.com/gleempaint/hvcongunw2qr.html Has anyone used
the HF (or Wagner) rig with latex house paint? Did you thin the latex?
By how much? I have no doubt that either will work for lighter
finishes but am looking for further insight as to the thicker latex.
My compressor is a Devilbiss with a 25 gal. tank and claimed 5hp (no I
don't believe that) and claimed to supply 8.8 SCFM @ 40 psi (not sure
about that). Thanks for any info to make an informed purchase.

Bill