Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default HVLP sprayer what should I buy?

wrote:
On Mar 30, 12:44 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
Most HVLP hooks to a turbine.(Spend$$command)

The one's that connect via a compressor are using
a "adapter kit" to make it work. They are the so called
"convsersion gun".

A $40 gun is just that and should not be considered a
serious finishing tool.

There are several versions of the $100 kit that comes
with a gun and a turbine. Some folks report fair results
but most report that upgrading to a real system is in the
future.

Start thinking in the $600-$800 range for the starter kit.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Informa...odworking3.htm

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5419

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5853

bdeditch wrote:
I am going to need a HVLP sprayer, but its something I am not going
to using lots. I seen a cheap one on Harbor freight for about $40
(self contained), but I noticed there are some that you hook up to a
compresser. What would be better?

I would be interested in what makes a HVLP system light duty?
Is the quality on the finish comparable to the 600+ systems? Its got
to be better than using spray cans.. or not.
Is it hard to clean?
Is the unit awkward to use in some way?
If I only use it a few times a year and the finish quality is good I
can live with many deficiencies.
Also are all these units ($80-$100) the same or is there a better one
you can recommend of the cheap variety?

The Rockler and Woodcraft models are near as I can tell the same.

On those the disadvantages are that there is no air volume control, just
paint volume, the air doesn't shut off when you release the trigger so
they blow things around, and as far as I have been able to tell there's
only the single nozzle size available. While the important bits are
brass the rest is plastic.

Finish quality can be quite good but you have to be more careful with
thinning and may have to dink with it more than with a gun that has
different nozzle sizes available and an air volume control.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)