Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Trip Down Memory Lane (Somewhat O.T.)

Many years ago when I lived in northern New Jersey, and before the
advent of the big box home improvement centers there were
independently owned hardware stores ( which have been discussed
previously on this NG ). They generally had creaky wooden floors,
gray haired clerks who knew the location and names of a lot of arcane
hardware, and a lot of bins which housed bulk items, not much blister
packaging.They had a scale and weighed out nails by the pound.

One of these had a sign hung behind the counter informing all that
this was the store of "two wonders". First you wonder if we have it,
then we wonder if we can find it.

Another shop of that era sold antiques. Its sign proclaimed it was
the shop of the three "don'ts". Don't bring in your children, don't
bring in your dog and don't tell us your grandmother threw this thing
out.
I don't know if many years into the future people will have any fond
memories of the current crop of home centers.

Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GROVER" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

These stores still exist in Texas, all over the place. I wish the glass
Coke bottle would come back as a normal way of distribution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:

Many years ago when I lived in northern New Jersey, and before the
advent of the big box home improvement centers there were
independently owned hardware stores ( which have been discussed
previously on this NG ). They generally had creaky wooden floors,
gray haired clerks who knew the location and names of a lot of arcane
hardware, and a lot of bins which housed bulk items, not much blister
packaging.They had a scale and weighed out nails by the pound.

As a high school kid, I was one of those clerks.

Had some Amish customers which resulted in having some very interesting
inventory.

Got to assemble all the lawn mowers, wheel barrows, kid's wagons, etc.

Got to cut the glass, repair broken windows, repair broken window
screens, etc, etc.

Got to drive the truck after school to make all the deliveries which
also included picking up kegs of nails from the local lumber yard,
bringing them back to the store, opening them and putting the nails in bins.

Got pretty good at weighing out a pound of nails on the first try.

Every Saturday morning you could depend on some guy walking into the
store with some pipe fittings in his hand and saying, "Moving this
morning and I've gotta hook up the gas stove", or words to that effect.

Want to talk about paint?

How about firearms?

A trip to the town dump with a .22 rifle was a Sunday ritual in the summer.

All in all, a great experience for a pimple faced, snot nosed kid, in a
small town.

No, those days will not return; however, my grandson has learned to be
quite the cook while working at a restaurant after school.

The opportunities change, but they are still there.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"GROVER" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Its back. I saw some glass 8oz. semi traditionally shaped bottles at
Kroger's in Indianapolis

--
Keith Nuttle
3110 Marquette Court
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 12, 5:04 am, "GROVER" wrote:
Another shop of that era sold antiques. Its sign proclaimed it was
the shop of the three "don'ts". Don't bring in your children, don't
bring in your dog and don't tell us your grandmother threw this thing
out.

I recall my wife dragging me into a curio shop in Gatlinburg years
ago. The shop was going out of business and it was easy to see why.
Every space on the shelves that didn't contain merchandise had a sign
telling what you couldn't do in the store. I never felt so unwelcomed
in all my life.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Mar 2007 03:04:10 -0700, "GROVER"
wrote:

[...]

Still got one in Tupelo, MS. Tupelo Hardware. Four stories of
downtown building crammed full of whatever you want. Recently a sales
clerk took me up to the top floor to look for a bearing. first time I
had ever been upstairs. What a marvelous experience.

In an earlier time, when there was nothing else, they acted as
somewhat of a general store, would order whatever you needed, but
specialized in hardware. It is the store where Elvis Presley bought
his first guitar.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

How about firearms?

A trip to the town dump with a .22 rifle was a Sunday ritual in the

summer.

The summer I turned nine ('51) I got my first .22 and spent almost a month
"living off the land" in my own "camp" on my grandparents farm in S.
Louisiana ... with the occasional trip into the farmhouse at night time to
avail myself of any goodies my grandmother made sure were left out for me to
"find", even though I had assured her that I was tough enough to eat
squirrel for the rest of my life.

.... smart lady, that dear grandmother of mine!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith nuttle" wrote in message
.. .

Its back. I saw some glass 8oz. semi traditionally shaped bottles at
Kroger's in Indianapolis

Yeah, you have always been able to get the glass bottles in Houston, FOR A
PRICE. I would like to see them come back main stream with the 3 cent
deposit and all. There is nothing quite like drinking a soft drink out of a
glass bottle and especially when it is frozen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

The summer I turned nine ('51) I got my first .22 and spent almost a

month
"living off the land" in my own "camp" on my grandparents farm in S.
Louisiana ... with the occasional trip into the farmhouse at night

time to
avail myself of any goodies my grandmother made sure were left out

for me to
"find", even though I had assured her that I was tough enough to eat
squirrel for the rest of my life.

... smart lady, that dear grandmother of mine!

My father grew up in Southern Indiana along the Ohio river.

Even gained a nickname that is on his tombstone, after one of those
river towns.

Back then it was poor country, and if you didn't produce, you didn't eat.

My father told me that when he was about 6-7, they gave him a single
shot .22, one cartridge, and was told to "Go get breakfast".

Don't have a clue if it was a tall tale or not, but my father used a
single shot .22 to hunt squirrels, and was still able to "Bark a
squirrel" until he was about 40 and his eyes began to show his age.

Still have that rifle someplace.

Used it to learn to shoot, and while never as good as the old man,
became a pretty decent shot, learning to pick off rabbits with it while
they were still setting.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in
ink.net:

*trim: Soda-pop's containers*

People would think it tastes funny without the aluminum.

They're apparently not missing the aluminum much drinking out of plastic
bottles.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 12, 12:23 pm, "Leon" wrote:

SNIP

There is nothing quite like drinking a soft drink out of a
glass bottle and especially when it is frozen.

Wow... now there's memory. I remember pulling out iced sodas from a
metal chest that had the kids beverages on one side, and the old
fashioned squatty beer bottles on the other.

Cokes in those days were made with sugar, and they had a sharper bite
to them. Now (and for quite some time) they have been made with corn
syrup (or one of its relatives) and the tasted isn't near as sharp.

However, down south here, we can still get the bottled-in- Mexico-
Cokes, in the tall green bottle with the tin cap, made with sugar. I
can't tell you how many people I have bought those for to help them
remember what Coke tasted like 20-25 years ago.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 12, 12:23 pm, "Leon" wrote:

SNIP

There is nothing quite like drinking a soft drink out of a
glass bottle and especially when it is frozen.

Wow... now there's memory. I remember pulling out iced sodas from a
metal chest that had the kids beverages on one side, and the old
fashioned squatty beer bottles on the other.

IIRC Falstaff and Schlitz were in those "Snuff" style bottles. LOL

Do you remember or did you ever pierce the bottle cap with an ice pick and
let the drink jet spray into your mouth?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:36:08 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Don't have a clue if it was a tall tale or not, but my father used a
single shot .22 to hunt squirrels, and was still able to "Bark a
squirrel" until he was about 40 and his eyes began to show his age.

Wonder how many folks who, without using Google, actually knew what it meant
to "bark" a squirrel?

Then again, knowing, even without Google, and doing, are another thing
entirely.

Being a city boy I had to Google that and found this.

http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/FOXSQUIRREL/FOXSQUIRREL.htm

A nice read.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Wonder how many folks who, without using Google, actually knew what it meant
to "bark" a squirrel?

I did, because I had a friend who could do it. I never could. Bad eyesight.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

IIRC Falstaff and Schlitz were in those "Snuff" style bottles. LOL

Back in the late 70s when the Aussie who owned G Heilman was buying up
local breweries around the country to get the brand name.

He then started selling beer in those brown, "squatty body", throw
away glass bottles.

Even bottled Carling Red Cap Ale in green bottles.

Probably at least a couple of dozen brands that were bottled that way.

My guess is that most of the Heilman owned brands came out of the same
vat.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...

Probably at least a couple of dozen brands that were bottled that way.

My guess is that most of the Heilman owned brands came out of the same
vat.

It was common for beer bottles to be recycled and the competitions labels
cleaned off. Beer bottlers did not care whose bottle they used, at least
Lone Star did not care.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

It was common for beer bottles to be recycled and the competitions

labels
cleaned off. Beer bottlers did not care whose bottle they used, at

least
Lone Star did not care.

"Squatty Bodies" are strictly throw away, single use bottles.

SFWIW, it is usually lower cost to recycle bottles that it is to clean
them.

Have a customer who converts old bottles into cullet, then melts and
blows new bottles.

Quite common in food packaging such as catsup, to blow the bottle on
the line, then fill it with product since the bottle is still sterile.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Remember the late 40's early 50's "squatty" beer cans (Falstaff

comes to
mind) ... a ubiquitous, at the time, .22 practice target, short of

turtles.

Nope.

Must have been a regional thing.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 8:36 am, "Swingman" wrote:

Wonder how many folks who, without using Google, actually knew what it meant to "bark" a squirrel?

Then again, knowing, even without Google, and doing, are another thing entirely.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Ahhhh, yes. Or to gig a frog or ten. I remember gigging on the shore
of the creek, and it was tough going as a kid. I gave it up in lieu
of bank fishing under the low hanging trees for perch. Better return.

Then I worked on a ranch for a while and they had a 5-7 acre man made
tank that took care of most of the ranch water needs. The frogs and
catfish that were in it were enormous as the folks that owned the
place liked neither.

We brought a small canoe out one evening, a flashlight and an old
cooler. We paddled around that tank in the dull moonlight, night
after night absolutely having a blast gigging - it was easy and the
cooler was full every night of the biggest frogs I had ever seen. I
didn't even know frogs got that big.

I was so focused on the gigging one night that I almost gigged a
coon. He was being still since like many night animals they are
blinded by bright light. Just when I was getting ready to gig him
(think of the tornado that would have unleashed!) I thought *crap!*
wrong color of eyes!

The catfish that came out of that tank tasted like an old drain pipe.
No amount of red sauce or lemon could kill that flavor. But the frog
legs.... marvelous. Dipped in egg wash, rolled in flour with a little
cornmeal and salt and pepper, then deep fried. We felt like kings
after wiping out about 6-8 pairs apiece.

What great memories. And I hadn't thought of that in years.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

A buddy and I spent a late night gigging frogs from a
jon boat in the Florida panhandle. Until a water moc
took exception to our messing with his supper. He
looked like he was a wee bit bothered. Swam toward the
boat and I put on my Jesus shoes and I was ready to
walk across the water to get away. But, he left. We
did too.

Went back to flounder gigging, didn't care for frog
legs anyway. And occasionally gigging a stingray
didn't raise the blood pressure like that snake did.

John Flatley
--

ups.com...
wrote:

| Wonder how many folks who, without using Google,
actually knew what it meant to "bark" a squirrel?

| Then again, knowing, even without Google, and
doing, are another thing entirely.

| --www.e-woodshop.net
| Last update: 2/20/07
|
| Ahhhh, yes. Or to gig a frog or ten. I remember
gigging on the shore
| of the creek, and it was tough going as a kid. I
gave it up in lieu
| of bank fishing under the low hanging trees for
perch. Better return.

| Then I worked on a ranch for a while and they had a
5-7 acre man made
| tank that took care of most of the ranch water needs.
The frogs and
| catfish that were in it were enormous as the folks
that owned the
| place liked neither.
|
| We brought a small canoe out one evening, a
flashlight and an old
| cooler. We paddled around that tank in the dull
moonlight, night
| after night absolutely having a blast gigging - it
was easy and the
| cooler was full every night of the biggest frogs I
had ever seen. I
| didn't even know frogs got that big.
|
| I was so focused on the gigging one night that I
almost gigged a
| coon. He was being still since like many night
animals they are
| blinded by bright light. Just when I was getting
ready to gig him
| (think of the tornado that would have unleashed!) I
thought *crap!*
| wrong color of eyes!
|
| The catfish that came out of that tank tasted like an
old drain pipe.
| No amount of red sauce or lemon could kill that
flavor. But the frog
| legs.... marvelous. Dipped in egg wash, rolled in
flour with a little
| cornmeal and salt and pepper, then deep fried. We
felt like kings
| after wiping out about 6-8 pairs apiece.
|
| What great memories. And I hadn't thought of that in
years.

| Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 2:21 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Took one look at gigging and said, "Forget it".

What? No frogs? We used to scare the youngsters by showing them the
legs while they were frying. When they start to get hot, there is a
tendon that shrinks, then lets go. We told the kids the legs were
still alive, and when they would seize up, the kids eyes would be like
saucers. When the tendon broke and the leg relaxed (moved again) we
always lost the kids. They were SURE the legs were still alive.

Same damn joke played on me when I was their age.

As far as catfish, or most any other fish, for that matter are concerned, I'll pass on the egg wash, but rolled in a spiced up cornmeal/flour mix, and deep fried in a cast iron chicken fryer, now
that is to die for, IMHO.

That sir, is about as good as it gets for this Southern boy. If you
can fry it, I will probably eat it, and if tasted good that's helluva
bonus. (Just kidding)

I fry up some fish pretty frequently, and we are lucky to have a bbq
joint that has great catfish so we can get the good stuff (fried)
whenever we want it.

After goofing with all manner of coating recipes, I do this: take the
fish out of the fridge and let it warm a bit while the oil is getting
hot. Get the oil to +/- 325 F. Roll the moist fish in Zatarain's
southern style cornmeal coating that has been dosed with cayenne,
citric acid, a tiny bit of chili powder, and black pepper. Fry until
golden, then cool on an open rack over paper towels. Eat until you
see the grim reaper threatening you, then rest. Wait two hours, eat
any remaining fish.

No lemon, sauces, condiments or anything else needed.

And you?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 8:12 am, "Leon" wrote:
IIRC Falstaff and Schlitz were in those "Snuff" style bottles. LOL

I remember early sixties (1 or 2) and watching the old black and white
TV with the football games on, and Hamms beer was the sponsor. "From
the land of sky blue water - Hamm"s". I always thought the cartoon
Indian in a canoe was funny. My grandfather drank Hamm's when my Dad
brought it to him, but otherwise his taste ran to whatever was cold.

All they had were tin cans and a church key. No squatties, just yet.
They used to take me to the bar where they did have bottles, and they
would order a beers, and "a beer for the boy".

Do you remember or did you ever pierce the bottle cap with an ice pick and let the drink jet spray into your mouth?

Naw, too much excitement for me! I would have probably shot it up my
nose.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Remember the late 40's early 50's "squatty" beer cans (Falstaff

comes to
mind) ... a ubiquitous, at the time, .22 practice target, short of

turtles.

Nope.

Must have been a regional thing.

Don't think so ... they were apparently called "conetops" although I don't
remember that, being a bit too young to do anything but shoot at them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Falstaff-12-Ounc...cmdZView Item

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Do you remember or did you ever pierce the bottle cap with an ice pick
and let the drink jet spray into your mouth?

Naw, too much excitement for me! I would have probably shot it up my
nose.

Well that was part of the learning curve. ;~) I grew up in Corpus Christi
and no one down there pierced the top with an ice pick but in Charlotte TX,
about 50 miles south of SA, about 5 miles SW of Jourdanton it was all the
rage with all my cousins.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Don't think so ... they were apparently called "conetops" although

I don't
remember that, being a bit too young to do anything but shoot at them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Falstaff-12-Ounc...cmdZView Item

Ah Ha, the brake fluid can.

Never saw any of them used for beer when I was a kid.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What? No frogs?

You missed it, used a fly rod or a cane pole with an artificial fly.

More frogs, less work.

Same damn joke played on me when I was their age.

Shades of a snipe hunt.

Badges to document the rite of passage.

That sir, is about as good as it gets for this Southern boy. If you
can fry it, I will probably eat it, and if tasted good that's helluva
bonus. (Just kidding)

If you are going to fry it, gotta have a cast iron chicken fryer, no
"ifs", "ands" or "buts" about it.

After goofing with all manner of coating recipes, I do this: take the
fish out of the fridge and let it warm a bit while the oil is getting
hot.

Ever soak it in buttermilk, just like chicken?

Get the oil to +/- 325 F. Roll the moist fish in Zatarain's
southern style cornmeal coating that has been dosed with cayenne,
citric acid, a tiny bit of chili powder, and black pepper.

A little spicy for my tastes these days; however, still mix my own
using flour, cornmeal, and one of Emeril's spice mixes except I cut
down on the cayenne some and add more Kosher salt and fresh cracked
black pepper.

BTW, keep a couple of jars of Zatarain's mustard handy. Good stuff.

Fry until
golden, then cool on an open rack over paper towels.

Works for me.

Eat until you
see the grim reaper threatening you, then rest. Wait two hours, eat
any remaining fish.

Yep.

No lemon, sauces, condiments or anything else needed.

Strictly for amateurs.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 12, 2:04 pm, Frank Boettcher wrote:
It is the store where Elvis Presley bought
his first guitar.

Frank

Wow, that's pretty cool...

r----- who's justa beaming reading all these stories.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 7:02 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

You missed it, used a fly rod or a cane pole with an artificial fly.

No kiddin'.... I sure did miss it. Catching frogs with a cane pole
and a artificial fly is almost diabolical.

If you are going to fry it, gotta have a cast iron chicken fryer, no "ifs", "ands" or "buts" about it.

I have one that is about 90 years or so old. It was a stovetop staple
from a friend of mine's ancient grandparents before they passed. It
made his grandpa's two strips of bacon and two eggs every day as long
they could, as well as fried everything from squirrel and rabbit to
steaks.

It is one that has the "fryer" lid. The lid has the hanging teats
inside it to redistribute the moisture and grease back onto the
cooking victim inside. My other one is my first personal cast pan,
and it is proudly serving after 40 years.
(How in the hell could I have had that all that long...)

Ever soak it in buttermilk, just like chicken?

Never have. You? I am always up for something new in the kitchen.
Is this a recommendation?

I will egg wash a heavy fleshed fish like whiting, talapia, or catfish
that is a little aromatic to the nose. Otherwise, the moisure on the
fish is good enough for me when cooking farm raised catfish, trout,
cod, etc. Of course, swordfish, salmon, tuna, shark, etc. all go to
the grill.

A little spicy for my tastes these days; however, still mix my own using flour, cornmeal, and one of Emeril's spice

One of my old compadres turned me to Zatarains after I was complaining
of not being able to get the "fine" grained cornmeal coating on my
fish. As much as I experimented with ratios of flour and cornmeal, I
couldn't get it. He gave me some Z's to try, and it worked great.
The secret to that style of coating? The Zatarain's is ground much,
much finer than cornmeal.

Lew... I'm still working over the cane pole and fly business. I'm
getting a picture of a frog dangling on the end of pole with a hook in
his mouth.

Wicked.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

No kiddin'.... I sure did miss it. Catching frogs with a cane pole
and a artificial fly is almost diabolical.

Naw, just an efficient way of harvesting frogs.

BTW, haven't been fishing in probably close to 50 years, but still
have those fly rods squirreled away. They were my fathers.

I have one that is about 90 years or so old.

Just getting broken in I see.G

It is one that has the "fryer" lid. The lid has the hanging teats
inside it to redistribute the moisture and grease back onto the
cooking victim inside.

My Dutch oven has a lid like that.

My chicken fryer has a flat lid which makes it suitable for flap jacks.

My other one is my first personal cast pan,
and it is proudly serving after 40 years.
(How in the hell could I have had that all that long...)

Time flies when you are having fun.

Ever soak it in buttermilk, just like chicken?

Never have. You? I am always up for something new in the kitchen.
Is this a recommendation?

Straight from Emeril.

Helps take out the strong taste.

One of my old compadres turned me to Zatarains after I was complaining
of not being able to get the "fine" grained cornmeal coating on my
fish. As much as I experimented with ratios of flour and cornmeal, I
couldn't get it. He gave me some Z's to try, and it worked great.
The secret to that style of coating? The Zatarain's is ground much,
much finer than cornmeal.

I'll have to check it out, but this is SoCal.

They have some strange tastes in food.

Lew... I'm still working over the cane pole and fly business. I'm
getting a picture of a frog dangling on the end of pole with a hook in
his mouth.

Wicked.

Think of it as a jib crane for harvesting frogs.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

As a matter of curiosity have you ever tried Mexican corn flour
http://www.amazon.com/Maseca-Corn-Fl...dp/B0000IJYK4?

Lew... I'm still working over the cane pole and fly business. I'm
getting a picture of a frog dangling on the end of pole with a hook in
his mouth.

Wicked.

Robert

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Ready to finish Lane Waterfall Chest BurledVeneer Woodworking 2 August 8th 06 03:37 PM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM
Private lane lynd UK diy 2 August 12th 05 07:52 PM
Wtb wooden 4 lane slot car track Gamer of NC Woodworking 0 April 19th 05 11:19 PM