Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default A Trip Down Memory Lane (Somewhat O.T.)

wrote:
On Mar 13, 7:02 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

You missed it, used a fly rod or a cane pole with an artificial fly.

No kiddin'.... I sure did miss it. Catching frogs with a cane pole
and a artificial fly is almost diabolical.

If you are going to fry it, gotta have a cast iron chicken
fryer, no "ifs", "ands" or "buts" about it.

I have one that is about 90 years or so old. It was a stovetop staple
from a friend of mine's ancient grandparents before they passed. It
made his grandpa's two strips of bacon and two eggs every day as long
they could, as well as fried everything from squirrel and rabbit to
steaks.

It is one that has the "fryer" lid. The lid has the hanging teats
inside it to redistribute the moisture and grease back onto the
cooking victim inside. My other one is my first personal cast pan,
and it is proudly serving after 40 years.
(How in the hell could I have had that all that long...)

Ever soak it in buttermilk, just like chicken?

Never have. You? I am always up for something new in the kitchen.
Is this a recommendation?

I will egg wash a heavy fleshed fish like whiting, talapia, or catfish
that is a little aromatic to the nose. Otherwise, the moisure on the
fish is good enough for me when cooking farm raised catfish, trout,
cod, etc. Of course, swordfish, salmon, tuna, shark, etc. all go to
the grill.

A little spicy for my tastes these days; however, still mix my own
using flour, cornmeal, and one of Emeril's spice

One of my old compadres turned me to Zatarains after I was complaining
of not being able to get the "fine" grained cornmeal coating on my
fish. As much as I experimented with ratios of flour and cornmeal, I
couldn't get it. He gave me some Z's to try, and it worked great.
The secret to that style of coating? The Zatarain's is ground much,
much finer than cornmeal.

As a matter of curiosity have you ever tried Mexican corn flour
http://www.amazon.com/Maseca-Corn-Fl...dp/B0000IJYK4?

Lew... I'm still working over the cane pole and fly business. I'm
getting a picture of a frog dangling on the end of pole with a hook in
his mouth.

Wicked.

Robert

--John