Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Trip Down Memory Lane (Somewhat O.T.)

On Mar 13, 2:21 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Took one look at gigging and said, "Forget it".

What? No frogs? We used to scare the youngsters by showing them the
legs while they were frying. When they start to get hot, there is a
tendon that shrinks, then lets go. We told the kids the legs were
still alive, and when they would seize up, the kids eyes would be like
saucers. When the tendon broke and the leg relaxed (moved again) we
always lost the kids. They were SURE the legs were still alive.

Same damn joke played on me when I was their age.

As far as catfish, or most any other fish, for that matter are concerned, I'll pass on the egg wash, but rolled in a spiced up cornmeal/flour mix, and deep fried in a cast iron chicken fryer, now
that is to die for, IMHO.

That sir, is about as good as it gets for this Southern boy. If you
can fry it, I will probably eat it, and if tasted good that's helluva
bonus. (Just kidding)

I fry up some fish pretty frequently, and we are lucky to have a bbq
joint that has great catfish so we can get the good stuff (fried)
whenever we want it.

After goofing with all manner of coating recipes, I do this: take the
fish out of the fridge and let it warm a bit while the oil is getting
hot. Get the oil to +/- 325 F. Roll the moist fish in Zatarain's
southern style cornmeal coating that has been dosed with cayenne,
citric acid, a tiny bit of chili powder, and black pepper. Fry until
golden, then cool on an open rack over paper towels. Eat until you
see the grim reaper threatening you, then rest. Wait two hours, eat
any remaining fish.

No lemon, sauces, condiments or anything else needed.

And you?

Robert