Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Trip Down Memory Lane (Somewhat O.T.)

On Mar 14, 7:41 am, "J. Clarke" wrote:

As a matter of curiosity have you ever tried Mexican corn flourhttp://www.amazon.com/Maseca-Corn-Flour-4-4-lbs/dp/B0000IJYK4?

Different animal. That stuff is a staple around here, and becoming
more popular for its intention, tortillas de maiz due to it being
significantly more healthy than its counterpart, tortillas de harina
(flour).

It is slaked cornmeal, not meant for frying.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Mar 13, 2007, 2:18pm (EDT-3) doth query:
What? No frogs? snip

Survival food.

JOAT
It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That
was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.
- Clodpool

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 5:27 am, Bill in Detroit wrote:

The
trick was to swat a bumble bee and stun it. Put him on the hook.

How would you put it on a hook and not kill it?...or without at least
a temporary reaction resulting in a sting?
Are you putting me on?
Bill?
Tell me you're kidding us?

*shudders* (hates bee-like buzzing things)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 15, 5:27 am, Bill in Detroit wrote:

The
trick was to swat a bumble bee and stun it. Put him on the hook.

How would you put it on a hook and not kill it?...or without at least
a temporary reaction resulting in a sting?
Are you putting me on?
Bill?
Tell me you're kidding us?

I don't know the answer but hooking the bait does not always kill it. Think
of fishing worms and live shrimp.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 15, 5:27 am, Bill in Detroit wrote:

The
trick was to swat a bumble bee and stun it. Put him on the hook.

How would you put it on a hook and not kill it?...or without at least
a temporary reaction resulting in a sting?
Are you putting me on?
Bill?
Tell me you're kidding us?

I don't know the answer but hooking the bait does not always kill it. Think
of fishing worms and live shrimp.

I haven't seen Robatoy's full post ... your response arrived before his
did. To be honest, that was 45+ years ago. I think we hooked them
through the thorax but I really don't recall. You hold them, IIRC, with
their legs down and bring the hook up through. IIRC, sometimes they DID
revive too soon. Some lived to fly away. Once in a great while, one was
able to sting ... but if you held them right, that didn't happen often.
(I don't recall any of us holding them wrong more than once!) That is
probably as much my imagination as it is my recollection ... maybe more.
I -can- recall a cousin getting stung but ISTR that he had tried to pick
up one that was already reviving and couldn't get a proper grip on it in
time. Occupational hazard.

The frogs weren't dead, just injured. They would bleed in the water but
couldn't swim very well. Nature kicked it. The fish would pick off the
weak one and the boy would pick off the gullible one.

is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000724-0, 03/15/2007
Tested on: 3/15/2007 12:49:21 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 9:10 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 15, 5:27 am, Bill in Detroit wrote:

The
trick was to swat a bumble bee and stun it. Put him on the hook.

How would you put it on a hook and not kill it?...or without at least
a temporary reaction resulting in a sting?
Are you putting me on?
Bill?
Tell me you're kidding us?

I don't know the answer but hooking the bait does not always kill it. Think
of fishing worms and live shrimp.

I hook small frogs successfully when I go bass fishing, same with
crawdads. I believe that is possible with bees too... the gist of my
post was more along the lines of: Are you NUTS??...LOL

...like I mean ..a LIVE BEE?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 15, 9:10 am, "Leon" wrote:

I hook small frogs successfully when I go bass fishing, same with
crawdads. I believe that is possible with bees too... the gist of my
post was more along the lines of: Are you NUTS??...LOL

..like I mean ..a LIVE BEE?

LOL.. Better'n live Rattlesnake.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 4:17 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 15, 9:10 am, "Leon" wrote:

I hook small frogs successfully when I go bass fishing, same with
crawdads. I believe that is possible with bees too... the gist of my
post was more along the lines of: Are you NUTS??...LOL

..like I mean ..a LIVE BEE?

LOL.. Better'n live Rattlesnake.

Okay...I'll bite..."what do you catch when using a rattle snake for
bait?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 15, 9:10 am, "Leon" wrote:

I hook small frogs successfully when I go bass fishing, same with
crawdads. I believe that is possible with bees too... the gist of my
post was more along the lines of: Are you NUTS??...LOL

..like I mean ..a LIVE BEE?

LOL.. Better'n live Rattlesnake.

Sure. Frogs got no sense of humor. Live bees sass the frogs. What
happens next is not pretty.

Once you stun the bees, you have several seconds before they shake it off.

When you pick it up, hold the wings pinned to its body and do your thing
with the hook. He who hesitates is lost.

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000724-0, 03/15/2007
Tested on: 3/15/2007 11:55:19 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 9:34 pm, "Robatoy" wrote:

Okay...I'll bite..."what do you catch when using a rattle snake for
bait?"

A South Texas redneck! We have the annual rattlesnake roundup at
Freer, and when I was down there years ago the boyscouts used to go
out in the heat and scrub to catch rattlesnakes. They sold them as
meat as their fundraiser raiser for the year. The kiddos used to high
tail it off into the scrub in search of the biggest ones they could
find (largest snake = trophy and prize!) with just a snake snare and a
burlap bag. Now there are several charities and sponsors, so I don't
know who gets all the money.

Purchasers buy the snakes and milk them (always a crown pleaser) to
get the venom to make antivenom. They sell the meat all over the
world (sorry - it DOES taste like chicken even though it looks like
fish) and the skins are considered a rare hide overseas.

There are so many snakes out slithering around when they have this
event that they are literally everywhere. When they have had a good
year breeding, in the next few you will see them mashed on every rural
and county road from Freer on south.

You probably think I'm kidding....

http://www.freerrattlesnake.com/

Check out the guest performers list! This is honestly a big deal, and
a real family affair. You eat BBQ of all kinds, drink beer, and there
is a hot sauce tasting contest, snake handling exibition and of course
everything in the world made from the skins; cell phone covers, hat
bands, watch bands, wallets, belts, knife sheaths, boots, you name it.

A big dance at the end of the night under the light bulbs with a good
band.
What more could you ask for?

You had to ask...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Okay...I'll bite..."what do you catch when using a rattle snake for
bait?"

Bet you can't guess what you catch when you use a hunk of ground hog
that has been claimed as road kill and laying in the summer sun for
about 2-3 days as bait.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

A Rob?

On 15 Mar 2007 20:34:08 -0700, "Robatoy" wrote:

On Mar 15, 4:17 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 15, 9:10 am, "Leon" wrote:

I hook small frogs successfully when I go bass fishing, same with
crawdads. I believe that is possible with bees too... the gist of my
post was more along the lines of: Are you NUTS??...LOL

..like I mean ..a LIVE BEE?

LOL.. Better'n live Rattlesnake.

Okay...I'll bite..."what do you catch when using a rattle snake for
bait?"

Ready to finish Lane Waterfall Chest BurledVeneer Woodworking 2 August 8th 06 03:37 PM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM
Private lane lynd UK diy 2 August 12th 05 07:52 PM
Wtb wooden 4 lane slot car track Gamer of NC Woodworking 0 April 19th 05 11:19 PM