Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default A Trip Down Memory Lane (Somewhat O.T.)

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 15, 5:27 am, Bill in Detroit wrote:

The
trick was to swat a bumble bee and stun it. Put him on the hook.

How would you put it on a hook and not kill it?...or without at least
a temporary reaction resulting in a sting?
Are you putting me on?
Bill?
Tell me you're kidding us?

I don't know the answer but hooking the bait does not always kill it. Think
of fishing worms and live shrimp.

I haven't seen Robatoy's full post ... your response arrived before his
did. To be honest, that was 45+ years ago. I think we hooked them
through the thorax but I really don't recall. You hold them, IIRC, with
their legs down and bring the hook up through. IIRC, sometimes they DID
revive too soon. Some lived to fly away. Once in a great while, one was
able to sting ... but if you held them right, that didn't happen often.
(I don't recall any of us holding them wrong more than once!) That is
probably as much my imagination as it is my recollection ... maybe more.
I -can- recall a cousin getting stung but ISTR that he had tried to pick
up one that was already reviving and couldn't get a proper grip on it in
time. Occupational hazard.

The frogs weren't dead, just injured. They would bleed in the water but
couldn't swim very well. Nature kicked it. The fish would pick off the
weak one and the boy would pick off the gullible one.

is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000724-0, 03/15/2007
Tested on: 3/15/2007 12:49:21 PM