Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default A Trip Down Memory Lane (Somewhat O.T.)

"GROVER" wrote in message
oups.com...
Many years ago when I lived in northern New Jersey, and before the
advent of the big box home improvement centers there were
independently owned hardware stores ( which have been discussed
previously on this NG ). They generally had creaky wooden floors,
gray haired clerks who knew the location and names of a lot of arcane
hardware, and a lot of bins which housed bulk items, not much blister
packaging.They had a scale and weighed out nails by the pound.

One of these had a sign hung behind the counter informing all that
this was the store of "two wonders". First you wonder if we have it,
then we wonder if we can find it.

Another shop of that era sold antiques. Its sign proclaimed it was
the shop of the three "don'ts". Don't bring in your children, don't
bring in your dog and don't tell us your grandmother threw this thing
out.
I don't know if many years into the future people will have any fond
memories of the current crop of home centers.

Joe G

These stores still exist in Texas, all over the place. I wish the glass
Coke bottle would come back as a normal way of distribution.