Bob Bowles

Default Air Brush

Have you looked at Critter?

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:05:38 -0400, Thomas Mitchell
wrote:

It's been several years since I've owned an air brush, the type for fine
detail work on models, etc.

Thomas Mitchell

It's been several years since I've owned an air brush, the type for fine
detail work on models, etc. I want to purchase one to see how well it
will paint the train cars I'm making and the doll houses my wife thinks
I'm making. I currently have a 25 gal compressor which I hope to use
with the gun.

The previous air brush that I owned was a Sears or craftsman. What are
the better brands in this day and age? Can some airbushes only handle
certain types of paint? I'll likely be using latex and other types of
finishes.

Google, here I come.

Woody

Badger, Paasche are good brands, although there are other good ones around
as well.
That can handle most paints as long as they are thinned down a bit.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 5 Reviews:
- Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones
- Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence
- Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser
- BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System
- Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench

"Thomas Mitchell" wrote in message
It's been several years since I've owned an air brush, the type for fine
detail work on models, etc. I want to purchase one to see how well it
will paint the train cars I'm making and the doll houses my wife thinks
I'm making. I currently have a 25 gal compressor which I hope to use
with the gun.

The previous air brush that I owned was a Sears or craftsman. What are
the better brands in this day and age? Can some airbushes only handle
certain types of paint? I'll likely be using latex and other types of
finishes.

Google, here I come.

Ernie Jurick

"Bruce C." wrote in message
I have a Badger 150 (I think) (dual action, internal mix) that has served

me
well for about 15 years. I have used a wide variety of paints and inks
through it. Two paints gave me troubles - ones with high solids like the
pearlized laquers and model enamels. The solids clogged the tip and

required
frequent cleaning and the enamels were difficult to clean off the

airbrush.
The model enamels that I used were the ones in the small squarish bottles
not the modern ones that are formulated for airbrushes.

I second the motion. My Badger 150 is 20 years old and still good as new.
Not sure it can spray latex, though.
-- Ernie

Thomas Mitchell

I've read a lot of pages about the badger line and it seems like a good
make. Can't find dittly on reviews of airbrushes though. I'll likely get
the 150 from badger.

Here's the next question. With the fine detail work I might be doing,
what size tip would I need? Anything wrong in getting all three?

Ernie Jurick wrote:
"Bruce C." wrote in message

I have a Badger 150 (I think) (dual action, internal mix) that has served

me

well for about 15 years. I have used a wide variety of paints and inks
through it. Two paints gave me troubles - ones with high solids like the
pearlized laquers and model enamels. The solids clogged the tip and

required

frequent cleaning and the enamels were difficult to clean off the

airbrush.

The model enamels that I used were the ones in the small squarish bottles
not the modern ones that are formulated for airbrushes.

I second the motion. My Badger 150 is 20 years old and still good as new.
Not sure it can spray latex, though.
-- Ernie

Ernie Jurick

"Thomas Mitchell" wrote in message
I've read a lot of pages about the badger line and it seems like a good
make. Can't find dittly on reviews of airbrushes though. I'll likely get
the 150 from badger.

Here's the next question. With the fine detail work I might be doing,
what size tip would I need? Anything wrong in getting all three?

Try this group. They have a huge number of airbrush-related topics. I think
you'll have to register, but you might want to anyway since this is right up
your alley.
http://www.finescale.com/fsm/communi...?TOPIC_ID=3712
-- Ernie

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:00:22 -0400, Thomas Mitchell
pixelated:

I've read a lot of pages about the badger line and it seems like a good
make. Can't find dittly on reviews of airbrushes though. I'll likely get
the 150 from badger.

Have you asked over on the alt.airbrush.art newsgroup? You'll
probably find guys with a dozen extra guns you can pick up for
(comparatively) dirt cheap.

Here's the next question. With the fine detail work I might be doing,
what size tip would I need? Anything wrong in getting all three?

Additional tips would be very handy.

More sources:
https://www.airbrushaction.com/index2.html How-To's, workshops
http://www.airbrushartmagazine.com
http://www.howtoairbrush.com/gary.htm

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Silvan

Ernie Jurick wrote:

I second the motion. My Badger 150 is 20 years old and still good as new.
Not sure it can spray latex, though.

I third it. Badger makes a good, simple airbrush.

I killed my 150 though. I screwed up and let paint dry in it. I tried all
manner of solvents to no avail.

I found that for what *I* use an airbrush for (as a miniature spray gun for
shooting one solid color onto train models), a cheap, simple external mix
was the way to go, so I bought one of those (also a Badger.) In truth,
it's been sitting in the box ever since. I never tried it out. I bought
it at right about the time I realized that my around-the-room layout was
never going to get built while I still had expensive children in the house,
so I packed it up along with all my other high-dollar dongles, to be
dragged out some day when I have money to burn.

Model railroading is an *expensive* hobby.

Anyway, someone else suggested Iwata. I have one of those too, and it's a
good airbrush. I find it rather too delicate for my fumble-fingered hands.
The needle is extremely fine, and very easy to bend. The air fitting on
the thing is some weird size too, and I don't currently have a compressor
that can drive it. Having used both though, I definitely preferred the
Badger. Not as elegant, but tougher.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16786 Approximate word count: 503580

Ernie Jurick

"Thomas Mitchell" wrote in message
DUH! For some reason I looked up models for newsgroups and didn't think
to look up airbrush! Thanks. I'll post the same over there.

Be wary of used airbrushes, though. Larry is right in that there are lots
available second-hand. But it can be very frustrating not knowing whether
the brush is not working properly or if your technique is at fault. With a
new one you can generally be sure that it's working properly, and you have
recourse to a replacement if it's defective. And the manufacturer will tell
you up front whether it's appropriate for latex or other media.
-- Ernie

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:38:31 -0400, Thomas Mitchell
pixelated:

DUH! For some reason I looked up models for newsgroups and didn't think
to look up airbrush! Thanks. I'll post the same over there.

Jewelcome.

-C-less "JOAT-for-the-day" Jake.

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:23:24 GMT, "Ernie Jurick"
pixelated:

Be wary of used airbrushes, though. Larry is right in that there are lots
available second-hand. But it can be very frustrating not knowing whether
the brush is not working properly or if your technique is at fault. With a
new one you can generally be sure that it's working properly, and you have
recourse to a replacement if it's defective. And the manufacturer will tell
you up front whether it's appropriate for latex or other media.

If you're buying a used gun, the owner should have some medium
you can spray through it or they can easily show you that it
will work with the medium you want if you take some of it along
with you for the "buy".

As always, buy smart by thinking it out ahead of time and asking
the right questions. "Learn about the item and skill you wish to
pursue before you buy." is a good principle.

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Rebecca Dodge

Go to www.badger-airbrush.com and click on garage sale. They have a slew of
leftovers from an order change in mid production from the Revell company;
the airbrush is front end badger 150 and back end vega 2000. I own one. It's
$30 NEW.

But,,,,, being as I know a thing or two about airbushes.(I airbrush for a
living)..... I like vegas. They're nice, they're light, thin, and not too
pricey. If your personal preference is for a badger 150, go for the garage
sale airbrush. It paints the same.

And......for the next time you let paint dry inside the brush: soak it in
lacquer thinner overnight and then clean it. I got a couple used brushes on
ebay that had that problem. Lacquer thinner took care of it for me.

In addition......good airbrush info places:

www.airbrushonline.com
www.westcoastairbrush.com
www.dixieart.com (store with cheap prices)

- Becky

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:38:31 -0400, Thomas Mitchell
pixelated:

DUH! For some reason I looked up models for newsgroups and didn't think
to look up airbrush! Thanks. I'll post the same over there.

Jewelcome.

-C-less "JOAT-for-the-day" Jake.

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Charlie Spitzer

i have an aztek i got off ebay. if you hurry and have a michaels craft store
near you, they're discontinuing the top of the line aztek for $60. list is
around $160.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

"charlieb" wrote in message
Woody wrote:

Badger, Paasche are good brands, although there are other good ones

around
as well.
That can handle most paints as long as they are thinned down a bit.

--
Regards,

He might also look into Iwata - they make all metal air brushes that
T-shirt airbrushers like because a) they're easy to clean (immerse and
blow out - others with plastic can dissolve) or for really fine
stuff - the Aztek.

As noted - you will have to thin your paint to use in almost all
small airbrushes.

charlie b

Charlie Spitzer

depends on what you're going to shoot. i use mine for spraying glass
enamels, powdered mica, etc. the paasche doesn't work as well as the aztek
4709, which is also a double action rather than single.

also, the aztek is made by testors. comes with a lifetime (your's, not the
gun's) guarantee. if it ever doesn't work, they rebuild it for free.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

"Thomas Mitchell" wrote in message
Interesting... we do have a Michael's up the street. Still undecided
which brand to go with. The a.a.art group suggested Paasche I think. I
can at least go look at the aztek and maybe the other brands at Michaels.

"charlieb" wrote in message

Woody wrote:

Badger, Paasche are good brands, although there are other good ones

around

as well.
That can handle most paints as long as they are thinned down a bit.

--
Regards,

He might also look into Iwata - they make all metal air brushes that
T-shirt airbrushers like because a) they're easy to clean (immerse and
blow out - others with plastic can dissolve) or for really fine
stuff - the Aztek.

As noted - you will have to thin your paint to use in almost all
small airbrushes.

charlie b

Bob McConnell

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 04:13:54 GMT, "Rebecca Dodge"
wrote:

Go to www.badger-airbrush.com and click on garage sale. They have a slew of
leftovers from an order change in mid production from the Revell company;
the airbrush is front end badger 150 and back end vega 2000. I own one. It's
$30 NEW.

I tried that, but the page is not written in standard HTML. It
requires JavaScript, Active-X and something called shockwaveflash,
whatever that is. I saw a reference to the garage sale in the source,
but no URL linked to it that I could paste into the browser.

All in all, it's a useless page. Apparently they don't need any of my
business.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Silvan

Ernie Jurick wrote:

manner of solvents to no avail.

If you do it again, take the barrel and related parts to a jewelry store.
They have ultrasonic tanks that will have it clean as a whistle in 20
minutes.

I wonder if that would work, or whether it would still work after all this
time (couple of years)... I still have the thing somewhere. Just 'cause
it's ruined beyond hope doesn't mean I ever actually throw anything *away*.

Nice thought. Can't hurt to try.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16822 Approximate word count: 504660

Rebecca Dodge

hmmmm...........

Well, here's the website...

http://www.badger-airbrush.com/garagesale.htm

maybe it will work.......? Just tryin to help.

- Becky

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Go to
www.badger-airbrush.com and click on garage sale. They have a

slew of
leftovers from an order change in mid production from the Revell

company;
the airbrush is front end badger 150 and back end vega 2000. I own one.

It's
$30 NEW.

I tried that, but the page is not written in standard HTML. It
requires JavaScript, Active-X and something called shockwaveflash,
whatever that is. I saw a reference to the garage sale in the source,
but no URL linked to it that I could paste into the browser.

I had the same problem. I sent an email to the webmaster suggesting at
least a site map for the rest of us. Perhaps if more did the same?

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Larry Blanchard

In article ,
says...
hmmmm...........

Well, here's the website...

http://www.badger-airbrush.com/garagesale.htm

maybe it will work.......? Just tryin to help.

Yes it did - thanks. Sure are a lot of "sold out" signs :-).

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?
Ernie Jurick

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
WELL hidden. Give 'em a little more time, Larry. Or why not fly to
Baghdad airport tomorrow and help our troop with the search?

There's a rumor that they're finally in place and will be discovered in
September.
-- Ernie

snip
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?