Bob

Default Varnished Floor Brush Marks

I've been trying to varnish our new bathroom floor (solid bamboo
strip), but the brush marks are far to obvious for my liking.

Is there a trick to getting a smoother finish? I'm using Dulux
Diamond Tough Satin Floor Varnish with a soft 2" brush.

Perhaps I should be sealing the floor with something else entirely?

Also, should a varnished floor be wax polished afterwards?

Thanks

Bob
andrewpreece

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
I've been trying to varnish our new bathroom floor (solid bamboo
strip), but the brush marks are far to obvious for my liking.

Is there a trick to getting a smoother finish? I'm using Dulux
Diamond Tough Satin Floor Varnish with a soft 2" brush.

Are you talking about brush marks or start-of-brushing-marks?
When I did my floor with acrylic varnish I had trouble with
marks showing up where the brush first made contact during a
brush-stroke. I think I was using too much varnish in the brush.
I was using Wickes Super Tough Floor Varnish, but can't say
I had any problems with mid-stroke brush-marks. Maybe your
varnish neeeds a little thinners added?

Perhaps I should be sealing the floor with something else entirely?

Also, should a varnished floor be wax polished afterwards?

AFAIK there is no requirement for his, though I can't say it would
do any harm. I hear wax floor finishes are easily damaged though.

Andy.

Thanks

Bob

Scott Mills

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
I've been trying to varnish our new bathroom floor (solid bamboo
strip), but the brush marks are far to obvious for my liking.

Is there a trick to getting a smoother finish? I'm using Dulux
Diamond Tough Satin Floor Varnish with a soft 2" brush.

Perhaps I should be sealing the floor with something else entirely?

Also, should a varnished floor be wax polished afterwards?

I varnished a parquet floor a few months back and I'd say brush marks were
reasonably minimal. I used a 6inch brush from Wickes for the job and made
sure as I built the coats up (4 in total) that they were always in a
different direction. I seem to remember washing with white sprits between
coat, if not then definitly before the first coat.

Scott

Capitol

Personally, I always use "Bourne Seal" . I don't know what it is, but it's
as hard as hell when it dries and survives most disasters. I believe all
schools use it on their wood block flooring. You can also use it as an
indoor varnish on woodwork.
Regards
Capitol

Bob wrote in message ...
I've been trying to varnish our new bathroom floor (solid bamboo
strip), but the brush marks are far to obvious for my liking.

Is there a trick to getting a smoother finish? I'm using Dulux
Diamond Tough Satin Floor Varnish with a soft 2" brush.

Perhaps I should be sealing the floor with something else entirely?

Also, should a varnished floor be wax polished afterwards?

Thanks

Bob

parish

Bob wrote:

I've been trying to varnish our new bathroom floor (solid bamboo
strip), but the brush marks are far to obvious for my liking.

Is there a trick to getting a smoother finish? I'm using Dulux
Diamond Tough Satin Floor Varnish with a soft 2" brush.

Norm always seems to use foam brushes for varnish. Available in the UK
from Axminster. Comments in this group about them suggest that they work
well.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.a...foam+b rushes

Perhaps I should be sealing the floor with something else entirely?

Also, should a varnished floor be wax polished afterwards?

Thanks

Bob

Max Bone

I'm assuming that this is a 'water-borne' satin varnish for floors, in
which case as mentioned by an earlier poster, the temperatures we are
experiencing at the moment will probably contribute to the patchy finish
you are seeing.

I'd also guess that the bamboo flooring which you are coating is quite
varied in it's porosity, and thus some areas will suck the moisture
straight out the coating quicker than other areas leading to different
finishes and contributing to your problems.

As this is a water-borne coating, you are best not to use a pure bristle
brush. A Synthetic SRT filament brush will give better results as the
filament won't absorb any water, unlike pure bristle which is hollow and
absorbs water... swelling up to give a more scratchy finish. We're about
to launch some excellent Synthetic SRT brushes this week which we've had
on test for 4 months... and the feedback has been excellent.

You could also try a foam brush, these are good with both solvent-borne
and water-borne products and are a popular tried and tested applicator
for varnishing projects where the surfaces you intend to coat are flat,
and they certainly avoid brush marks.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/r/RODFBS3P/

Between coats do denib the surfaces gently using a very fine grade wet
and dry paper (used dry), and then tack rag gently to remove any dust,
before applying the next coat. You should get a more acceptable finish
on the application of further thin coats. Work quickly and try to keep
your wet edges going, don't be tempted to brush over areas which have
just been applied, get the material on and leave it alone... water-
bornes don't like being played around with.

Regards
--
Max Bone Decorating Direct Ltd
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/
Bob

Max Bone wrote in message k...
[...]

It probably was the high temperatures - the varnish was dry to the
touch within an hour (the tin said 8 hours!).

Luckily I've only done the bit where the bath is going (I've been
doing this project with the cast iron bath still in the room - it's
too big and heavy to put anywhere else!). I'll definitely give the
foam brushes a try though.

Cheers

Bob
Bob

"andrewpreece" wrote in message ...
"Bob" wrote in message
om...
I've been trying to varnish our new bathroom floor (solid bamboo
strip), but the brush marks are far to obvious for my liking.

Is there a trick to getting a smoother finish? I'm using Dulux
Diamond Tough Satin Floor Varnish with a soft 2" brush.

Are you talking about brush marks or start-of-brushing-marks?
When I did my floor with acrylic varnish I had trouble with
marks showing up where the brush first made contact during a
brush-stroke. I think I was using too much varnish in the brush.
I was using Wickes Super Tough Floor Varnish, but can't say
I had any problems with mid-stroke brush-marks. Maybe your
varnish neeeds a little thinners added?

Bit of both really - the marks were much more obvious than I'd
expected. As others have pointed out, it may have been the high
temperatures last week causing the varnish to dry to quickly. I have
more to do this week - hopefully now it's a bit cooler it will work
better

Bob