Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Western red cedar for this chair ok?

I have a folding chair very similar to this one:

http://www.hammocks-manufacturer.com...ll/lounge1.jpg

that I picked up at a yard sale several years ago. It is a homemade chair,
and very well built out of red oak. Instead of the hammock "seat" shown in
the linked picture above, it has a heavy duty webbing that a person sits in.
As you can see there is not much to the wooden parts of the chair. They are
all 3/4" pieces with most of the pieces being no wider than 1 1/2"

My question is: would western red cedar be strong enough for building a new
chair to the same dimensions as the one made of oak? The oak chair sits
outside, but in a covered area and does not get much weathering. The new
chairs need to be able to withstand being outdoors year round, and I hate
maintenance on things like this. I was going to choose cypress as I used
that in some adirondack type chairs years ago, but my supply has dried up.
The wrc seems very light compared to the oak and cypress and I didn't know
how strong it was.

Thanks,
Dukester

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dukester" wrote in message
[...]

I would use white oak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dukester" wrote in message
maintenance on things like this. I was going to choose cypress as I used
that in some adirondack type chairs years ago, but my supply has dried up.
The wrc seems very light compared to the oak and cypress and I didn't know
how strong it was.

I purchased about $1K worth of WRC last week to make the porch column's on a
Craftsman style house. Based on the milling I did on that batch, I want to
say that you might find it a bit on the light side for a chair of that type
.... IOW, lots of apparently thin parts.

Forget cypress ... with the stuff on the market these days you might as well
use fir, IMO, unless you can find some recycled/old growth stuff.

Like Toller, my preference would white oak ... it should do well outside
with the proper finish.

Just my .02 ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/16/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message

What about teak?

Would be an excellent choice if your pocketbook can $tand it.

My experience with teak lately is a befuddled expression brought about by
how-in-hell Sam's/Wal-Mart can import teak outdoor furniture, and apparently
sell it at a profit, cheaper than I can buy the rough stock.

I know, I know ... it's all about cheap labor ... but it still offends sense
and sensibility.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/19/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dukester wrote:

would western red cedar be strong enough for building a new
chair to the same dimensions as the one made of oak?

For this one? Not a hope. I just don't think you can make a chair from
WRC and use "rectangular spindles" like that without it being either
fragile or looking clumsy. If you use a design based on wide slats then
you could do it in ERC, but even then it's marginal and WRC wouldn't be
up to it. There are similar resinous "outdoor" timbers that are strong
enough and still cheap, but not WRC.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
"Locutus" wrote in message

What about teak?

Would be an excellent choice if your pocketbook can $tand it.

My experience with teak lately is a befuddled expression brought about by
how-in-hell Sam's/Wal-Mart can import teak outdoor furniture, and
apparently
sell it at a profit, cheaper than I can buy the rough stock.

I know, I know ... it's all about cheap labor ... but it still offends
sense
and sensibility.

Because its not teak. There are hundreds of tropical hardwoods that have no
market because no one has heard of them; yet are great woods. They use them
for skids and firewood. An example is viraro I bought for $3.50/bf. It is
dirt cheap because there is no market for it, but it is beautiful wood
comparable to mahogany.
Same with whatever they make those imported chairs out of; its not teak, but
is pretty good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

Because its not teak.

Ahh, but the ones of which I speak are indeed TEAK ... not the no name,
pacific rim, mystery wood of which you speak.

Same with whatever they make those imported chairs out of; its not teak,

but
is pretty good.

I bought two teak porch rockers from Sam's about five years ago that are
indeed "teak". IIRC, They were around $200 each at the time, which at the
teak prices of that day was roughly the cost to buy the wood ... AAMOF,
having had just bought, milled and built a set of teak patio furniture, it
was the very reason I bought them at the time.

That purchase, and knowing what I bought, is also the raison d'être of my
ocassional remarks on the issue.

That said, we (actually SWMBO) purchased a porch rocker more recently from
Sam's, a damn sight cheaper, that looks like it might be teak, if you don't
know the difference ... I do, and it's not ... but neither was it
represented/sold as "teak".

Now, I leave you to go sit in my genuine teak porch rocker with a glass of
wine, because the sun has set on the British Empire somewhere where teak
used to be cheap, and it has been a long day with cherry and walnut, and I
need a change of wood ... hope you enjoy the evening as much as I am going
to.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/19/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Ahh, but the ones of which I speak are indeed TEAK ... not the no name,
pacific rim, mystery wood of which you speak.

snip

These days, teak is supposed to come from plantations that exist
specifically to insure a supply of honest teak.

Having said that, comparing plantation teak to virgin Thai teak is
about the same as with any other wood.

The virgin timber is head and shoulders above the 2nd, 3rd, etc,
growth timbers.

Harvesting Thai teak using the elephant has been outlawed on a world
wide basis; however, that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at a
cheap restaurant.

Not sure if China abides by the ban or not.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...

Dukester wrote:
For this one? Not a hope. I just don't think you can make a chair from
WRC and use "rectangular spindles" like that without it being either
fragile or looking clumsy. If you use a design based on wide slats then
you could do it in ERC, but even then it's marginal and WRC wouldn't be
up to it. There are similar resinous "outdoor" timbers that are strong
enough and still cheap, but not WRC.

Assuming I use white oak, what would be an appropriate outdoor finish?

Cheers!
Dukester

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dukester wrote:

Assuming I use white oak, what would be an appropriate outdoor finish?

Personally, I like the color of white oak rubbed with 3-4 coats of BLO.

After that, 3-4 coats of a high quality marine varnish such as Epifanes.

Lightly sand between coats.

Lew