Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus Locutus is offline

Default Western red cedar for this chair ok?

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Dukester" wrote in message
maintenance on things like this. I was going to choose cypress as I used
that in some adirondack type chairs years ago, but my supply has dried
up.
The wrc seems very light compared to the oak and cypress and I didn't
know
how strong it was.

I purchased about $1K worth of WRC last week to make the porch column's on
Craftsman style house. Based on the milling I did on that batch, I want to
say that you might find it a bit on the light side for a chair of that
type
... IOW, lots of apparently thin parts.

Forget cypress ... with the stuff on the market these days you might as
well
use fir, IMO, unless you can find some recycled/old growth stuff.

Like Toller, my preference would white oak ... it should do well outside
with the proper finish.

Just my .02 ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net