Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Western Red Cedar Grain Problems still!!

Still trying to figure out a way to keep WRC Grain from showing on
fishing lures that I am building. I tried Shellac and then dipping the
lures in both an oil-based primer and a water based primer......both
had horrible grain showing. I also tried dipping the baits in a
sanding sealer first and polycrylic first before priming, same results.

I want to stick with the WRC because it's so nice to shape for
lures....perfect wood.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the grain?

thx.

II

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Still trying to figure out a way to keep WRC Grain from showing on
fishing lures that I am building. I tried Shellac and then dipping the
lures in both an oil-based primer and a water based primer......both
had horrible grain showing. I also tried dipping the baits in a
sanding sealer first and polycrylic first before priming, same results.

I want to stick with the WRC because it's so nice to shape for
lures....perfect wood.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the grain?

thx.

II

Albacore fishing are we?

Wet the cedar with water - let dry - sand - repeat. The water will raise
the grain and it will need sanding. Two or three of the above should solve
the problem.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Dave,

You know I tried that and it was too much work! The grain raised up so
high it took me 15 minutes to get it back to where it was. There has to
be an easier way.

II

Teamcasa wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Still trying to figure out a way to keep WRC Grain from showing on
fishing lures that I am building. I tried Shellac and then dipping the
lures in both an oil-based primer and a water based primer......both
had horrible grain showing. I also tried dipping the baits in a
sanding sealer first and polycrylic first before priming, same results.

I want to stick with the WRC because it's so nice to shape for
lures....perfect wood.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the grain?

thx.

II

Albacore fishing are we?

Wet the cedar with water - let dry - sand - repeat. The water will raise
the grain and it will need sanding. Two or three of the above should solve
the problem.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Still trying to figure out a way to keep WRC Grain from showing on
fishing lures that I am building.
II

Wet the cedar with water - let dry - sand - repeat. The water will raise
the grain and it will need sanding. Two or three of the above should
solve
the problem.

Dave

You know I tried that and it was too much work! The grain raised up so
high it took me 15 minutes to get it back to where it was. There has to
be an easier way.

II

If was easy - anyone could do it!
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

There is a better way, I will find it eventually.

II

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

I would think several dips of the lure body into a can of industrial
polyurethane ENAMEL would seal that piece of cedar. Buy a quart can
and dip it , let it dry, then dip it again. Wait a few days, then do
it again.

I am not talking about clear poly like Norm uses; I mean the stuff used
on oil rigs, metal doors, and things of that nature. Benjamin Moore,
and your local Coronado dealer can set you up with some. I am paying
about $11 a quart for mine.

As I remember, most plugs were painted with enamel when I was interested
in fishing.

$11/quart?

You must not of had to buy any latelyG.

Lew

Hah! Bought some last week as a matter of fact. I can buy either
this:

http://www.coronadopaint.com/product/13-line.htm

or this:

http://www.coronadopaint.com/product/137-line.htm

for 10.95 a quart (one or the other may be a dollar higher) my cost
plus tax. There are also different offshoot products that are from
these main lines, but they are not available everywhere so they don't
put them on the website. I have been shooting this on metal doors on a
light production basis for a local lumberyard for a while and I really
like it. So do they. I mix some good old fashioned Japan drier in it
with a little mineral spirits and it shoots like a dream. When cured,
it is amazingly hard. All kidding aside I think it is one of the best
buys on the market for this type of finish since it can also be tinted
to most colors and it is a one part finish. Both of these are
extremely abrasion resistant when applied properly.

Yes, I do get a break from the company that sells it to me since I do
the finishing on most of their fiberglass, metal and wood doors. Like
I said, they are a lumberyard, not a paint store, and the only reason
they have this stuff is for me and another (he is commercial only)
contractor. Technical assistance from the lumberyard is totally
non-existant. But the Coronado rep and I are friends, and he put me on
to this stuff, and he helped me get going with it. Since it comes in
quarts as opposed to almost everything else I buy that is gallons only,
it makes a great option for finishing a single door for a client.

Betcha if you contact your local Coronado rep, he will send you a
quart. If you REALLY want he exact number on this product, let me know
and I will get it for you so you will know what to ask for when you
talk to him.

VBG!

Robert