Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default Western red cedar for this chair ok?

"Dukester" wrote in message
I have a folding chair very similar to this one:

http://www.hammocks-manufacturer.com...ll/lounge1.jpg

that I picked up at a yard sale several years ago. It is a homemade
chair, and very well built out of red oak. Instead of the hammock "seat"
shown in the linked picture above, it has a heavy duty webbing that a
person sits in. As you can see there is not much to the wooden parts of
the chair. They are all 3/4" pieces with most of the pieces being no
wider than 1 1/2"

My question is: would western red cedar be strong enough for building a
new chair to the same dimensions as the one made of oak? The oak chair
sits outside, but in a covered area and does not get much weathering. The
new chairs need to be able to withstand being outdoors year round, and I
hate maintenance on things like this. I was going to choose cypress as I
used that in some adirondack type chairs years ago, but my supply has
dried up. The wrc seems very light compared to the oak and cypress and I
didn't know how strong it was.

I would use white oak.