Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Western red cedar for this chair ok?

"Toller" wrote in message

Because its not teak.

Ahh, but the ones of which I speak are indeed TEAK ... not the no name,
pacific rim, mystery wood of which you speak.

Same with whatever they make those imported chairs out of; its not teak,

but
is pretty good.

I bought two teak porch rockers from Sam's about five years ago that are
indeed "teak". IIRC, They were around $200 each at the time, which at the
teak prices of that day was roughly the cost to buy the wood ... AAMOF,
having had just bought, milled and built a set of teak patio furniture, it
was the very reason I bought them at the time.

That purchase, and knowing what I bought, is also the raison d'être of my
ocassional remarks on the issue.

That said, we (actually SWMBO) purchased a porch rocker more recently from
Sam's, a damn sight cheaper, that looks like it might be teak, if you don't
know the difference ... I do, and it's not ... but neither was it
represented/sold as "teak".

Now, I leave you to go sit in my genuine teak porch rocker with a glass of
wine, because the sun has set on the British Empire somewhere where teak
used to be cheap, and it has been a long day with cherry and walnut, and I
need a change of wood ... hope you enjoy the evening as much as I am going
to.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/19/06