Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default Western red cedar for this chair ok?

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
"Locutus" wrote in message

What about teak?

Would be an excellent choice if your pocketbook can $tand it.

My experience with teak lately is a befuddled expression brought about by
how-in-hell Sam's/Wal-Mart can import teak outdoor furniture, and
apparently
sell it at a profit, cheaper than I can buy the rough stock.

I know, I know ... it's all about cheap labor ... but it still offends
sense
and sensibility.

Because its not teak. There are hundreds of tropical hardwoods that have no
market because no one has heard of them; yet are great woods. They use them
for skids and firewood. An example is viraro I bought for $3.50/bf. It is
dirt cheap because there is no market for it, but it is beautiful wood
comparable to mahogany.
Same with whatever they make those imported chairs out of; its not teak, but
is pretty good.