Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TS-Aligner Fall 2006 Promotional Offer!

wrote in message
ups.com...

Since I've made so many friends here lately, I thought I'd pay some of
them a visit. I wonder who I should visit first?

My buddy at 841 N Kentucky Ave?? Maybe the one at 3272 W 42nd St?
Maybe Lee in NYC? Or maybe I should just head on over to 5220 N Sawyer
Ave where Ed and I could debate the utility of our measurement tools.

This is one of the lamest things I have ever seen on usenet...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Locutus" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Since I've made so many friends here lately, I thought I'd pay some of
them a visit. I wonder who I should visit first?

My buddy at 841 N Kentucky Ave?? Maybe the one at 3272 W 42nd St?
Maybe Lee in NYC? Or maybe I should just head on over to 5220 N Sawyer
Ave where Ed and I could debate the utility of our measurement tools.

This is one of the lamest things I have ever seen on usenet...

It gets lamer. He actually phoned me this morning -- see my post titled
"Strange phone call this morning".

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Since I've made so many friends here lately, I thought I'd pay some of
them a visit. I wonder who I should visit first?

My buddy at 841 N Kentucky Ave?? Maybe the one at 3272 W 42nd St?
Maybe Lee in NYC? Or maybe I should just head on over to 5220 N Sawyer
Ave where Ed and I could debate the utility of our measurement tools.

This is one of the lamest things I have ever seen on usenet...

I'm sure 3272 W 42nd. Street, NY, is a single family home. He could
wait in the driveway! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , B A R R Y wrote:
Locutus wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Since I've made so many friends here lately, I thought I'd pay some of
them a visit. I wonder who I should visit first?

My buddy at 841 N Kentucky Ave?? Maybe the one at 3272 W 42nd St?
Maybe Lee in NYC? Or maybe I should just head on over to 5220 N Sawyer
Ave where Ed and I could debate the utility of our measurement tools.

This is one of the lamest things I have ever seen on usenet...

I'm sure 3272 W 42nd. Street, NY, is a single family home. He could
wait in the driveway! G

?? I don't live in NY.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

?? I don't live in NY.

Do you watch TV?

That area is in Manhattan, near Times Square. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , B A R R Y wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

?? I don't live in NY.

Do you watch TV?

Rarely.

That area is in Manhattan, near Times Square. G

Oh.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

The posting of addresses is in reply to e-mails I've received. I
didn't want other
people to know their exact addresses so I only posted enough for them
to know that
I can also google up some data. I tried replying with e-mail but that
keeps
bouncing back.

Obviously someone had the desire to look me up and threaten me via
e-mail. Why are
Ed and Doug so hostile over me suggesting that they keep marketing off
the
newsgroup? So hostile that they'll lie about me calling them? They
must be making
more money off that hunk of sheet metal than I thought they were.

For the record, I haven't called anyone. This is a discussion forum,
not a
wrestling ring. You can also rest assured that having a public
disagreement with me is an automatic exclusion from being harmed. If
that was my intent that I wouldn't have replied at all. Speaking of
which, I'm not the one who responded with insults in the first place.
I just pointed out that I would rather not see advertising here.

I own a small company that improves manufacturing processes through the
use of
lasers. We engineer the systems and write embedded front-ends to
process data for
various pre-made laser systems. One of my favorite vendors is just
down the road.

http://www.pinlaser.com

Check out their product page at:

http://www.pinlaser.com/products.html

If you checked out the website you'll see that this company makes
products that measure DISTANCE using lasers. They also measure ANGLES
and that data is used to CALIBRATE machinery. It's not rocket science.
Dial indicators aren't used as much
for calibration anymore. Back when Ed and Doug were working for Mr.
Slate in the
quarry, dial indicators were cool. Today people have the option of
precision using
lasers. The client I'm working with today uses a system we developed
to ensure the
circumference of their cigarettes is consistent. That's 8000
cigarettes per minute
per machine. Each cigarette is measured 20 times from different
angles. Because
smoking is an obsessive behavior, it's important that a smoker always
have the
exact same experience when they light up. That includes, length,
circumference,
weight, color, odor, etc. Lasers are used to help achieve that.

Lasers are prone to atmospheric interruption, particularly in a
manufacturing environment. Tobacco dust of .2 microns can throw
measurements out of whack. So can adverse changes in humidity. Most
of the time we engineer a known positive airlow into the system to keep
dust out of the stream. Be sure to read this little blurb on that:

http://www.pinlaser.com/faq.html#q15

The calibration tool I put together for my shop uses a laser that's
specifically made for measurements. The cost is $70. I use a Xilinx
Spartan 3 FPGA
(http://www.xilinx.com/products/silic...pgas/index.htm)
to control the laser, check sensors, run the UI and calcluate the trig.
I think I paid $6 for it. I did use a Motorola 68000 CPU core,
implemented in verilog and programmed into the FPGA.
(http://opencores.org) This was due to cost/speed/familiarity. I also
used a compact flash slot and System Ace interface chip to program the
FPGA on powerup. The entire solution is around $90. I'm not the first
person to do this by any means but wanted to try rolling my own.

This guy gives a simple explanation of how distance is measured with
lasers but I do I'm doing it a little differently. I use the latency
instead.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...roject-11.html

So what can my setup do that Ed's doesn't? First, you can take
measurements when a
machine is running. Want to detect blade wobble? How about blade
flatness or tooth pitch consistency? Turn on the saw, select the test
and hit a button. When the memory fills up the test is over. Download
the data to your PC and graph. Ed's device is also limited to 2
measurement points. If you want to miter slot alignment, my device
will measure from A through C, not just A and C. A and C refer to end
points. B is the middle. Ed's device also requires the use of goofy
triangles and charts to determine an angle. Yes Ed, I have bought one
of your products.

In the near future you'll likely see a similar device being marketed.
I don't own the patents needed to make something like this happen but I
can put one together. The big plus in laser calibration is that most
of the physical deviations of a device like Ed's are gone. You don't
have bearings, rails, steel rods or a slab of aluminum that will
deviate in changing conditions.

Well, there you have the answers to many things that Ed and Doug stated
are false. They declared themselves the experts. Doug stated that
atmospheric conditions wouldn't affect a laser. Ed stated that
measuring angles with a laser is not possible. Both said it would be
too expensive. In fact, Ed said that I couldn't make the same thing
cheaper. Ed must not know that I have a mill and some T11 sitting in
the shop. I'm pretty confident that I could copy his design in a day
or perhaps two. But why bother when I have one that I don't use
anymore?

What was the purpose in Doug and Ed stating something that's not true?
Were these
lies or deliberate attempts to mislead the group? Are they just trying
to sell more product? Why is it that Ed and Doug decided to be
aggressive towards me when I started with a friendly comment? I'd say
they feel that their superiority as the all-knowing guru's of this
newsgroup is threatened. There's nothing wrong with other people being
more knowledgable in a subject than I am. That's just the way it is.
Ed and Doug should learn to accept that too.

BTW: Whichever one of you has my address is welcome to send me an x-mas
card.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
The posting of addresses is in reply to e-mails I've received. I
didn't want other
people to know their exact addresses so I only posted enough for them
to know that
I can also google up some data. I tried replying with e-mail but that
keeps
bouncing back.

It would appear that there's some confusion. I never sent you any
email. My email server does not have any record of any email messages
from you.

Obviously someone had the desire to look me up and threaten me via
e-mail.

Not me.

Why are
Ed and Doug so hostile over me suggesting that they keep marketing off
the
newsgroup?

I never said anything to you about your protesting my message.

So hostile that they'll lie about me calling them?

I never said that you called me. I said that I received a call from
the same number that Doug did and that I know exactly who it is. It
appears that you accept guilt before being accused.

They
must be making
more money off that hunk of sheet metal than I thought they were.

Actually, Doug makes no money from the sale of my products. And I make
next to no money! Honestly, every month is a major struggle. I have
to keep a lot of irons in the fire to make ends meet.

And, I don't make anything out of sheet metal. Everything I sell is
machined from aluminum extrusions, or ground rod and flat stock
(steel).

For the record, I haven't called anyone.

Great, I never said that you did. And, that address and phone number
isn't yours, right?

This is a discussion forum,
not a
wrestling ring. You can also rest assured that having a public
disagreement with me is an automatic exclusion from being harmed. If
that was my intent that I wouldn't have replied at all.

Glad to hear it. So, the veiled threats were....just for effect?

Speaking of
which, I'm not the one who responded with insults in the first place.
I just pointed out that I would rather not see advertising here.

Fine. So you retract the veiled threats, right?

I own a small company that improves manufacturing processes through the
use of
lasers. We engineer the systems and write embedded front-ends to
process data for
various pre-made laser systems. One of my favorite vendors is just
down the road.

http://www.pinlaser.com

Nice products. Still, they don't seem to do "the same thing" or "cost
much less" than a TS-Aligner Jr. I would think that the work required
to adapt them to the alignment of woodworking machinery would far
exceed the cost of a Jr. Certainly the cost of even the least
expensive of these units must be more than $200, right? Someone who
owns a company that specializes in such adaptations should probably
know this.

Check out their product page at:

http://www.pinlaser.com/products.html

If you checked out the website you'll see that this company makes
products that measure DISTANCE using lasers. They also measure ANGLES
and that data is used to CALIBRATE machinery. It's not rocket science.

I did check out the web site. I didn't see anything that could be used
to set blade tilt or miter gauge angles. Nothing to set jointer
knives. Nothing at all adapted for the alignment of any woodworking
machinery. I don't doubt that someone skilled in optical metrology
can't use this equipment to accomplish some of these tasks. But, this
isn't "the same thing" and it doesn't "cost much less".

Dial indicators aren't used as much
for calibration anymore. Back when Ed and Doug were working for Mr.
Slate in the
quarry, dial indicators were cool. Today people have the option of
precision using
lasers.

Do you really believe this? This is an exaggeration for effect, right?
Hyperbole, right? I would have to say that dial indicators (and their
digital cousins) are still selling pretty well - probably better than
any other time in history. Perhaps you could cite a major industrial
supplier who has replaced their offering of dial indicators with laser
measurement systems. I don't see any laser measurement systems in MSC,
Grainger, or McMaster. But they do have a boatload of dial indicators.

The client I'm working with today uses a system we developed
to ensure the
circumference of their cigarettes is consistent. That's 8000
cigarettes per minute
per machine. Each cigarette is measured 20 times from different
angles. Because
smoking is an obsessive behavior, it's important that a smoker always
have the
exact same experience when they light up. That includes, length,
circumference,
weight, color, odor, etc. Lasers are used to help achieve that.

Sounds like a good application. Much better than blade tilt, miter
gauge angles, jointer knife alignment.

Lasers are prone to atmospheric interruption, particularly in a
manufacturing environment. Tobacco dust of .2 microns can throw
measurements out of whack. So can adverse changes in humidity. Most
of the time we engineer a known positive airlow into the system to keep
dust out of the stream. Be sure to read this little blurb on that:

http://www.pinlaser.com/faq.html#q15

Nothing here surprises me. Like I said, I've worked with lasers.
Can't afford my own setup but could use one if you are giving it away!

The calibration tool I put together for my shop uses a laser that's
specifically made for measurements. The cost is $70.

Where can a person buy such a laser for $70?

I use a Xilinx
Spartan 3 FPGA
(http://www.xilinx.com/products/silic...pgas/index.htm)
to control the laser, check sensors, run the UI and calcluate the trig.
I think I paid $6 for it. I did use a Motorola 68000 CPU core,
implemented in verilog and programmed into the FPGA.
(http://opencores.org) This was due to cost/speed/familiarity. I also
used a compact flash slot and System Ace interface chip to program the
FPGA on powerup. The entire solution is around $90. I'm not the first
person to do this by any means but wanted to try rolling my own.

But, it doesn't do "the same thing" does it.

This guy gives a simple explanation of how distance is measured with
lasers but I do I'm doing it a little differently. I use the latency
instead.

Distance is fine but it's still not adapted for aligning and adjusting
woodworking machinery.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...roject-11.html

So what can my setup do that Ed's doesn't? First, you can take
measurements when a
machine is running. Want to detect blade wobble? How about blade
flatness or tooth pitch consistency? Turn on the saw, select the test
and hit a button. When the memory fills up the test is over. Download
the data to your PC and graph. Ed's device is also limited to 2
measurement points. If you want to miter slot alignment, my device
will measure from A through C, not just A and C. A and C refer to end
points. B is the middle. Ed's device also requires the use of goofy
triangles and charts to determine an angle.

It's not a question of what your device can do that mine cannot. It's
a question of your device being able to do everything that mine does.

Yes Ed, I have bought one
of your products.

Really? Earlier in the thread you said: "...I won't buy Ed's product
based solely on the fact that he's taking advantage of this forum to
make a buck." Now you say that you already have bought one of my
products. I must say that it's a bit confusing.

In the near future you'll likely see a similar device being marketed.
I don't own the patents needed to make something like this happen but I
can put one together. The big plus in laser calibration is that most
of the physical deviations of a device like Ed's are gone. You don't
have bearings, rails, steel rods or a slab of aluminum that will
deviate in changing conditions.

Yes, but there's no need to be worried about any of these sources of
error when aligning woodworking machinery. And, you can't say that
there aren't some significant issues involved in laser measurement
devices (air turbulence, temperature variation, vibration, dust,
alignment, stability, etc.). If I'm certifying a large machining
center or boring mill, then the laser system is great. But, I really
don't think it has much application in the woodshop.

Well, there you have the answers to many things that Ed and Doug stated
are false.

I don't think so.

They declared themselves the experts.

I didn't do it before, but I'll do it now: I am an expert! Sorry,
couldn't resist. I do have a whole bunch of years experience doing
this.

Doug stated that
atmospheric conditions wouldn't affect a laser.

I have the upmost respect for Doug but I can't speak for what he said.

Ed stated that
measuring angles with a laser is not possible.

No, that's not exactly what I said. In fact, that's not even remotely
close to what I said. I said: "You are not going to use such a setup
to align table saws, set jointer knives or tram drill press tables. It
won't measure blade tilt or miter gauge angles." So, was I wrong? Are
you using your laser to do all these things? We know what you claim
above (about being able to measure the blade wobble while the machine
is running) but what about practical things? Do you have the fixturing
necessary to do a blade alginment? How about blade tilt or miter gauge
angles? Can you do these sort of tasks in a practical, timely manner
in a working woodshop environment? Or, is this just a bunch of theory
and goofing around in your garage?

Both said it would be
too expensive. In fact, Ed said that I couldn't make the same thing
cheaper.

That's not quite what I said. I asked you to explain your comments.
Specifically, I said: "Do you really have an innovative solution?. Can
you really "achieve the same thing" as a TS-Aligner Jr.
"at a much lower cost"?" You replied with a vague description of your
laser setup. So, I'm willing to be really liberal in my definition of
"much lower cost". If I give you $171.90 (one cent less than a
TS-Aligner Jr.) will you send me a complete laser setup that will
"achieve the same thing" that the TS-Aligner Jr. does? Be careful how
you answer. If you say "yes", then I might just call your bluff. And,
I bet that there might just be a few others in the group who would be
interested. If you say "no" then you are admitting that I was right.

Ed must not know that I have a mill and some T11 sitting in
the shop. I'm pretty confident that I could copy his design in a day
or perhaps two. But why bother when I have one that I don't use
anymore?

Well, we're not talking about my design, we're talking about yours.
But, I'm sure that if you don't count your time, cost of materials,
cost of equipment, and other various costs of doing business, then you
probably could copy a Jr. for less than my selling price. Big deal, I
do it all the time! That's how I make my living! If I couldn't make
it for less than the selling price I would have gone out of business a
long time ago.

The point is that you haven't done this yet. In your original
statement you said: "I achieve the same thing at a much lower cost".
You did not say "I could achieve the same thing at a much lower cost".
It's not a matter of what you can possibly do at some time in the
future, it's about what you are doing right now.

What was the purpose in Doug and Ed stating something that's not true?

I wouldn't know. I didn't state anything that wasn't true. Did you
Doug?

Were these
lies or deliberate attempts to mislead the group?

Neither.

Are they just trying
to sell more product?

I'm trying to discern the truth of your claim. I don't think that Doug
is selling anything.

Why is it that Ed and Doug decided to be
aggressive towards me when I started with a friendly comment?

I'm not being aggressive toward you. I'm just trying to get you to
stand by your own claim.

I'd say
they feel that their superiority as the all-knowing guru's of this
newsgroup is threatened. There's nothing wrong with other people being
more knowledgable in a subject than I am. That's just the way it is.
Ed and Doug should learn to accept that too.

I think you are getting a bit carried away here. Hyperbole again,
right?

BTW: Whichever one of you has my address is welcome to send me an x-mas
card.

I wouldn't have your address unless it was you that called. Don't you
remember? You were denying that up above. Are you now saying that it
was you that called? Is it your address that I have? I'm confused!

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

PS: you might have noticed that I sign my messages. I do this because
I believe in and stand behind what I say. I am not the sort to hide
behind some sort of anonymous moniker. You found my address (and a map
to my shop) because I put it up on my web site.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:

snip

Your name wouldn't be Steve Strickland, would it now?
Where do you put the shag carpet in?

Does sound kind of familar. And as I recall, the guy who
did the testing of the contestants' "precision samples"
used - wait for it - dial gauges, albeit very expensive dial
gauges.

Now about that laser device - if it's about $90 USD in parts
and it takes some time to order or go pick up the parts
and it takes some sticking the parts together and I'm guessing
it'd need some User Instructions which have to be written
and illustrated the printed and bound (ok stapled together)
and, unless it has a portable memory card so you can get
the data to a computer so you can use it, or does it plug
into a lap top that you need to take to the shop in order
to check a set up and fix if necessary . . .

I have enough trouble keeping my glasses clean in the shop.
Cleaning mirrors without screwing up their alignment?

I'm a tool phreak. If I could get one of these laser set up
devices, with a 30 day money back guarantee, and it was
less than $175 I want one! Hell I just blew close to $400
on the JoolTool just to keep my turning gouges nice and
sharp quickly and easily. Put me down for a unit - assuming
there's a 30 day money back guarantee.

Interesting links.

charlie b
who actually uses his real e-mail address
when he posts here - or anywhere else.
No drop out e-mail addresses for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Thanks Charlie,

I'm not sure that there is anybody around to remember, but I think I
posted my first message to the group in 1994 (about 12 years ago!).
Perhaps some people still remember the dark days of the "Bennett Wars".
I recently found some of those messages and was pretty embarrassed!
What a learning experience.

I remember when people here used to take you to task for refering
to yourself as something like "the inventor of the table saw aligner"
in your .sig.

Here's a blast from the past:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...e=source&hl=en

Back then you wouldn't have even considered posting an ad in this
newsgroup. Now some of the most vocal newbies here, like
Mr Miller and Mr Michaels are defending you. How the times
have changed.

Anyhow, regarding SPAM:

http://www.spam.com/ci/ci_in.htm

regarding Usenet spam:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...e=source&hl=en

http://groups.google.com/group/bit.l...5892df36364c64

As to whether or not your ad was appropriate to this newsgroup,
well, discussion of what is or is not on topic for rec.woodworking
is off-topic for rec.woodworking, isn't it?

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, " wrote:
The posting of addresses is in reply to e-mails I've received.

Liar. I never sent you any email, yet you posted my address.

I didn't want other people to know their exact addresses so I only posted
enough for them to know that I can also google up some data. I tried
replying with e-mail but that keeps bouncing back.

Liar. My true email address is in the sig line of my posts, and I have
received no email from you.

Obviously someone had the desire to look me up and threaten me via e-mail.

Liar.

Why are Ed and Doug so hostile over me suggesting that they keep marketing
off the newsgroup? So hostile that they'll lie about me calling them?

*You* are the one lying here. And if you call me again, I'll file a written
complaint of harassment with the telco -- and once they obtain proof, I will
file charges.

They
must be making
more money off that hunk of sheet metal than I thought they were.

I'm not making *any* money from Ed's device (which you clearly know absolutely
nothing about, as there isn't any sheet metal anywhere in it). *Ed* made money
off of *me* (which he deserves -- it's a fine product). I bought one of Ed's
products once. That is the *only* connection between us. Ed makes a fine
product, he stands behind it, and he is unfailingly courteous, gentlemanly,
and professional. I'm a fully satisfied customer, and I have no hesitation
about saying so -- and I have never received anything from Ed in return except
"Thank you" (nor do I expect to).

For the record, I haven't called anyone.

That's odd -- somebody who lives in your neck of the woods *did*, and said he
was "coming over" -- shortly after I invited you to do so. Somebody with the
phone number 205-257-4369. That's not you, huh?

This is a discussion forum,
not a
wrestling ring. You can also rest assured that having a public
disagreement with me is an automatic exclusion from being harmed.

Given all the other lies you've told in this post, please pardon me if I'm a
bit skeptical.

If
that was my intent that I wouldn't have replied at all. Speaking of
which, I'm not the one who responded with insults in the first place.
I just pointed out that I would rather not see advertising here.

[snip much irrelevantia]
So what can my setup do that Ed's doesn't? First, you can take
measurements when a machine is running.

Why the hell would I want to? I can obtain perfectly good alignments using the
TS-Aligner in accordance with the instructions.

Want to detect blade wobble? How about blade
flatness or tooth pitch consistency?

Nope. Don't need to. I buy Forrest blades. They take care of that for me.
Haven't had a problem yet.

Turn on the saw, select the test
and hit a button. When the memory fills up the test is over. Download
the data to your PC and graph.

Why the hell would I want to do that? After I align my saw, I want to start
cutting wood, not play with my PC. I don't *care* about graphing anything, I
just want to get my saw set up so I can make furniture.

Ed's device is also limited to 2
measurement points. If you want to miter slot alignment, my device
will measure from A through C, not just A and C. A and C refer to end
points. B is the middle.

Apparently it has escaped your notice that it requires only two points to
establish a line, not three. Measuring the distance from the miter slot to the
blade at the front and the back of the blade is all that's necessary to
determine whether the two are parallel.

Ed's device also requires the use of goofy
triangles and charts to determine an angle.

The charts are provided as a convenience for those who aren't able to perform
trigonometric calculations on their own.

Yes Ed, I have bought one
of your products.

I won't believe that until Ed confirms it -- if you actually had the
TS-Aligner (or if you had even looked at Ed's website) you'd know that it's
not made of "sheet metal".

In the near future you'll likely see a similar device being marketed.

I can hardly wait.

I don't own the patents needed to make something like this happen but I
can put one together. The big plus in laser calibration is that most
of the physical deviations of a device like Ed's are gone. You don't
have bearings, rails, steel rods or a slab of aluminum that will
deviate in changing conditions.

And you'll be able to sell this at a price competitive with Ed's products.

Go for it.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

Well, there you have the answers to many things that Ed and Doug stated
are false. They declared themselves the experts.

Liar. I never declared myself to be an expert.

Doug stated that atmospheric conditions wouldn't affect a laser.

Liar. I never said that.

[snip]

What was the purpose in Doug and Ed stating something that's not true?

What is *your* purpose in making this post that is just chock-FULL of lies,
and then accusing *me* of lying? I haven't made one single statement of fact
in this thread that isn't true, and all of my statements of opinion have been
labelled as such. *You*, on the other hand, have made _at_least_ eight clearly
demonstrable lies in this post up to this point; no telling yet how many
follow.

Were these
lies or deliberate attempts to mislead the group?

The only lies here are yours.

Nine.

Are they just trying
to sell more product?

I'm not trying to sell product. I'm a *customer* of the Edward J. Bennett
company. That's all.

Ten.

Why is it that Ed and Doug decided to be
aggressive towards me when I started with a friendly comment?

You didn't start with a "friendly comment", you started with a complaint about
one of the most respected and respectable members of this group.

Eleven.

And neither Ed -- twelve -- nor I -- thirteen -- have been "aggressive" toward
you. Until now.

I'd say
they feel that their superiority as the all-knowing guru's of this
newsgroup is threatened.

And I'd say that you've really got your panties in a wad.

There's nothing wrong with other people being
more knowledgable in a subject than I am. That's just the way it is.

Oh, believe me, it's quite obvious there are other people more knowledgeable
in this subject than you. Ed is one of them.

Ed and Doug should learn to accept that too.

I certainly accept that there are other people more knowledgeable than I. Ed
is one of them. Whether you are or not may be open to question.

BTW: Whichever one of you has my address is welcome to send me an x-mas
card.

I don't have your address. And you misspelled "Christmas".

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes Ed, it's not made of sheet metal. That was a joke. Sense of
humor. Got one? I do have one of your aligners but I didn't buy it.
It's one of the many tools that's found its way from my fathers shop to
mine. I got some good use out of it while making a homebrew CNC
machine (that's still not finished). Yes it's very sturdy and very
heavy and I'd probably use it a whole lot more if I didn't have access
to the laser toys I work with.

I think you didn't quite get what pinlaser products are designed to
accomplish. They're specifically made for calibrating machinery. That
includes lathes, joiners, saws, mills, etc. The best part is that you
can can troubleshoot issues that only crop up when the equipment is
running. Yes, the solutions I install with their products are very
expensive. I wouldn't use them in my shop because I can't afford that.
If you do a google search, most laser calibration tools include the
hardware and software to control the laser and detection units. I put
mine together from just a laser. The logic is what costs you. I could
have gone with a cheaper laser but I got stuck with an extra from a
previous job. I didn't just "fiddle around in the shop" as you
suggested. Not entirely. I do this for a living but if you count
precision milling, programming gate arrays and writing controller code
"fiddling" then I suppose you could say your correct.

As for your other question, no it's not my phone number so that doesn't
bother me. The one sent in the email is obviously correct so yes, it's
a bit disturbing that someone has nothing better to do. I never made a
veiled threat to anyone. I don't live south of the mason dixon
anymore. I never said Ed wasn't knowledgable at calibration - only
that he's not an expert at everything - nobody is. My OP just said
that I'd prefer not to see advertising here. I'm surprised how that
comment led to all the aggressive language. I'm not what I'd consider
to be a newbie to the rec. I've just done a lot of lurking over the
past few years. Mostly because I've seen threads like this in the
past.

I have to get back out to a client now. I don't get to sit at home and
post messages all day like some of you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, " wrote:

I never made a
veiled threat to anyone.

Sure looked to me like a veiled threat. And to other people.

Fourteen.

I don't live south of the mason dixon anymore.

Oddly enough, the NNTP headers of this message show that it was posted through
'lds.al.charter.com'. That wouldn't happen to be located in... Alabama...
would it?

Fifteen.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

I don't have your address. And you misspelled "Christmas".

Yep. The proper spelling is S a t u r n a l i a :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030411sn.html

After aligning the blade parallel to the miter slot the
same or a similar tool can be used to align the fence
to the miter slot, right?

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...

The calibration tool I put together for my shop uses a laser that's
specifically made for measurements. The cost is $70. I use a Xilinx
Spartan 3 FPGA
(http://www.xilinx.com/products/silic...pgas/index.htm)
to control the laser, check sensors, run the UI and calcluate the trig.
I think I paid $6 for it. I did use a Motorola 68000 CPU core,
implemented in verilog and programmed into the FPGA.
(http://opencores.org) This was due to cost/speed/familiarity. I also
used a compact flash slot and System Ace interface chip to program the
FPGA on powerup. The entire solution is around $90. I'm not the first
person to do this by any means but wanted to try rolling my own.

Great! How much is the retail, out the door price for those of us that want
one of your TS-Laser-Aligners??

I could scrounge up some parts and electronics and cobble something together
on the cheap too, but cost and retail are two very different things. Raw
cost on a TS-Alingner can not be much over a 12 pack, plus the indicator,
but add the engineering, the labor to machine, and some reasonable profit
and you end up with $150-$200.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

oups.com...

ummm..... previously you said:

"Ed's device also requires the use of goofy
triangles and charts to determine an angle. Yes Ed, I have bought one
of your products."

So which product did you buy, since it obviously wasn't the TS-Aligner?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, they say there is no such thing as bad publicity.... It's
ironic that by choosing to make a controversy out of your original post
this fella has caused the words "TS-Aligner" to pop up in my message
window no less than 60 times!

I'm starting to feel a bit drowsy.......reaching into my back pocket
for the credit card......navigating to Ed's website.....

Dang it Ed, are you sure you didn't orchestrate the whole thing?

(big g)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3 Nov 2006 09:54:55 -0800, wrote:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030411sn.html

After aligning the blade parallel to the miter slot the
same or a similar tool can be used to align the fence
to the miter slot, right?

This is pretty close to what I use except I mounted a dial indicator
to it. It works for both uses for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Yes Ed, it's not made of sheet metal. That was a joke. Sense of
humor. Got one?

I have a great sense of humor. However, your "joke" doesn't seem too
funny to me. Perhaps that's because the sentence "They must be making
more money off that hunk of sheet metal than I thought they were." is
not funny. In fact, it's rather disparaging. Many of your comments
about me and my products are rather disparaging and completely untrue.
I do take it rather personally because my integrity and honor are at
stake. I don't sell overpriced, flimsey hunks of sheet metal. I sell
accurately machined measurement instruments. And, your disparaging
remarks can adversely affect my ability to put food on the table and
keep the roof over my head. So, please forgive me for not laughing at
your "joke". I'm not holding these statements against you, and I'm not
holding your attempt to call them a joke against you. But, you should
stop and think about how they might affect you if they were made in a
public forum about you, your company and its products.

I do have one of your aligners but I didn't buy it.
It's one of the many tools that's found its way from my fathers shop to
mine. I got some good use out of it while making a homebrew CNC
machine (that's still not finished). Yes it's very sturdy and very
heavy and I'd probably use it a whole lot more if I didn't have access
to the laser toys I work with.

Thanks for clarifying. It's not exactly a retraction all of the
disparaging comments but it's a step in the right direction.

[...]

Yes, one of the things that I noticed at the Pinpoint web site is that
there are no prices. There's not even a mention of prices. You know
that feeling you get when you go to a restaurant that has no prices on
the menu? If you have to ask then you can't afford it!

I could see that the Pinpoint products are designed for machinery
alignment and calibration. And, I know that their solutions can be
adapted to woodworking machines. But, they don't offer any ready made
solutions which "achieve the same thing" that the Jr. does. It would
seem that they focus on industrial solutions - mostly in the
metalworking industry.

I understand optical metrology. Believe me, I get it. That's why I
have so much trouble with what you are saying. If I didn't understand
the topic then I might just accept your vague descriptions and topical
diversions. You have said that your laser is a distance measurement
device. Fine. Now, how do you fixture that device so that you can
measure blade or fence alignment in relation to the miter gauge slot?
How do you fixture the laser so that you can measure blade tilt or
miter gauge angles? How do you fixture the laser so that you can
measure jointer knife alignment. These are not trivial questions so
they require something other than trivial answers. You can't just
point to some laser alignment tools and accessories on a web site and
declare that they work just great on woodworking machines.

I didn't just "fiddle around in the shop" as you
suggested. Not entirely. I do this for a living but if you count
precision milling, programming gate arrays and writing controller code
"fiddling" then I suppose you could say your correct.

The point is this: if your company created this solution for a
customer, would it still cost less than a Jr.? If you don't count your
time or any of the resources of your company in the cost, then it is
"fiddling aroudn in the shop" and the comparison is not valid. If all
I did was count the cost of materials, then I could claim that the Jr.
cost me a lot less than your solution.

As for your other question, no it's not my phone number so that doesn't
bother me. The one sent in the email is obviously correct so yes, it's
a bit disturbing that someone has nothing better to do. I never made a
veiled threat to anyone. I don't live south of the mason dixon
anymore. I never said Ed wasn't knowledgable at calibration - only
that he's not an expert at everything - nobody is. My OP just said
that I'd prefer not to see advertising here. I'm surprised how that
comment led to all the aggressive language. I'm not what I'd consider
to be a newbie to the rec. I've just done a lot of lurking over the
past few years. Mostly because I've seen threads like this in the
past.

And, nobody in the group is coming forward to claim that they sent the
alleged email. Hmmmm.....

In your original message you characterized me as "bold" profiteer
trying to get group members to send me "$1K+". In your second message
you accused me of "taking advantage of this forum to make a buck" and
began to disparage my products by saying "I achieve the same thing at a
much lower cost anyway." I didn't respond to this "aggresive language"
with equally disparaging remarks, I just asked you to back up your
claims. And, I think I did it in a very polite manner.

In your third message you issued the veiled threats where you listed my
shop address and promised to pay me a visit. In response to
questioning your solution, and suggesting that it was "bovine fecal
matter" you accused me of being a "hostile" "liar" who responded with
"insults". You characterized my product as requiring "...the use of
goofy triangles and charts to determine an angle." and suffering from
"physical deviations" with "bearings, rails, steel rods or a slab of
aluminum that will deviate in changing conditions". I consider this to
be pretty "aggressive language".

Now, while the term "bovine fecal matter" isn't exactly complimentary,
it is not a disparaging statement about you personally, it's a comment
about what you said, . It's the most polite way I can think of to say
that I don't believe your statements. And I still feel that way for a
number of reasons. First, you continue to evade the original questions
with attempts to turn around the argument. Again, it's not about what
your device can do that mine can't. It's about your claim to
"...achieve the same thing at a much lower cost". Second, you have
preferred to issue veiled threats rather than calmly discuss the
original questions. Third, you have preferred to villify others
(myself and Doug) than to calmly discuss the original questions.

I have to get back out to a client now. I don't get to sit at home and
post messages all day like some of you.

Fourth, I have to keep reminding you that you haven't answered the
original questions. There's always time for you to post a reply, and
such replies have proven to be quite long and involved, but none have
answered the original questions.

I don't care about your opinion of my annual promotional offers to this
group. Obviously you haven't been watching this group very long
because I do it every year. Go search Google Groups if you don't
believe me. I do it out of gratitude for all the help that group
members have given to me during the year. And, I really don't make any
money doing it. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over your
protests, I'll let the others do that. I want to discuss the technical
aspects of your device vs. mine. Let's forget the threats and name
calling and accusations and other evasions of the original questions
and calmly discuss the solution that you claim can "...achieve the same
thing at a much lower cost."

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030411sn.html

After aligning the blade parallel to the miter slot the
same or a similar tool can be used to align the fence
to the miter slot, right?

--

FF

Should just let this thread be - but

Got ANY slop between the piece of wood you slip in the miter
slot and the sides of the miter slot? If you do it comes
acrossed in your measuring. If you don't then the wood
or even UMHW (or is it UHMW - ultra heigh molecular weight)
may/will bind in the miter slot as you slide down it to take
your second measurment.

Mr. Bennett's product (see how I got around using TS-Aligner?)
has three bearings under the part that travels down the
miter slot - two fixed and one moveable left/right to eliminate
slop while avoiding binding. And they can be removed when
not needed - like when checking/setting joiner/planer knives,
checking infeed and outfeed tables for parallel with the
joiner/planer cutter head, drill press and router run out,
. . .

I've got a Robland X-31 - five function combi with a sliding
table. More settings inter relationships than you can shake
a stick at - and it's a euro machine so there's metric just
to make things interesting. The TS-A makes the set up
and maintenance a bit easier - and every lit bit helps.

charlie b

ps - Anyone remember Stuart Brandt's (Whole Earth Catalog)
bulletin board The Well? Or the IMSAI? 8080, 8080A or 6502
ring any bells? On the first limited production run micro
processor that actually worked, there are three letters on it.
The last letter is an F. Anyone know what the F stands for?
Hint, its the last name of the kid who did the mask drawings.
What's his last name?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:46:42 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

ps - Anyone remember Stuart Brandt's (Whole Earth Catalog)
bulletin board The Well? Or the IMSAI? 8080, 8080A or 6502
ring any bells? On the first limited production run micro
processor that actually worked, there are three letters on it.
The last letter is an F. Anyone know what the F stands for?

The BB nope, The Well nope, however 8080 ect. yep I have the paralell
scars to prove it to. The last question have no idea, I just fixed
Gandalfs stuff.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:

ps*-*Anyone*remember*Stuart*Brandt's*(Whole*Earth*Cata log)
bulletin*board*The*Well?

Yes.

Or*the*IMSAI?*

Yes

8080,*8080A*or*6502 ring*any*bells?*

Yes, but why did you leave out the 4004? I remember the ACM meeting where
Adm. Grace Hopper showed a picture of the chip layout. The first computer
for under $1000, IIR what she said. Of course, you had to buy 10,000 or so
to get that price :-).

On*the*first*limited*production*run*micro
processor*that*actually*worked,*there*are*three*le tters*on*it.
The*last*letter*is*an*F.**Anyone*know*what*the*F*s tands*for?
Hint,*its*the*last*name*of*the*kid*who*did*the*mas k*drawings.
What's*his*last*name?

There my memory fails me. But do you remember a minicomputer named Sue?

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:
wrote:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030411sn.html

After aligning the blade parallel to the miter slot the
same or a similar tool can be used to align the fence
to the miter slot, right?

--

FF

Should just let this thread be - but

Got ANY slop between the piece of wood you slip in the miter
slot and the sides of the miter slot? If you do it comes
acrossed in your measuring. If you don't then the wood
or even UMHW (or is it UHMW - ultra heigh molecular weight)
may/will bind in the miter slot as you slide down it to take
your second measurment.

Mr. Bennett's product (see how I got around using TS-Aligner?)
has three bearings under the part that travels down the
miter slot - two fixed and one moveable left/right to eliminate
slop while avoiding binding.

Did you note the screw in the home-made device?

I think if you adjust the fence so the device doesn't quite bind
nor develop any slop as you run it along the fence then
you're golden.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

This device at the ShopNotes site utilizes a traditional tablesaw
alignment technique which involves subjectively judging the feel or
sound of a scrape/rub of one surface (a screw head in this case)
against another (the blade or fence). It definitely works (for some
people). I have sold several Aligners to people who previously used
this technique and later let me know that they had their saw properly
aligned all along. For each one of these, at least 10 people let me
know that the Aligner has revealed that their saw was significantly
misaligned all along. Despite hours and hours of tedius "hear the
scrape" or "feel the rub" their efforts were in vain. Some of us just
aren't any good at making these sort of subjective judgements. Both
groups are very happy with their purchase because the Aligner does a
lot more than just blade and fence alignment.

If you just want blade and fence alignment, and you don't feel
confident in your ability to make these subjectve judgements, then just
get a low cost dial indicator ($15 max) and attach it to a stick. You
can use it with your miter gauge. Here's an example of what I'm
talking about:

http://www.ts-aligner.com/tsjrlitevsdistick.htm

It may not be as nice as an Aligner but this solution is significantly
better than some commercially made jigs costing $70 or more. And it
beats the subjective methods hands down.

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

PS: Note to Neanders: The dial indicator really is an "old tool". I
recently discovered that James Watt (credited with the invention of our
modern steam engine) is also credited with the invention of the dial
indicator - IN 1772! This pretty much pre-dates all power tools (and a
whole bunch of Neander-tools too!).