Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Asked a commercial cabinet shop about their SawStop(s)

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 12:33:52 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:57:38 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I was always careful and lost half of my thumb to my
old Craftsman saw. As careful as I am I still had the accident after
finishing the cut and after turning the saw off.

Not trying to start an arguement here, but how would a SawStop have
helped you in the circumstances you describe? Or maybe you weren't
trying to make SS' case with your accident. It wasn't clear to me
which (nor was it in all the stuff I snipped).

:~) If the blade is still spinning after the saw is turned off the blade
can still get you.

My misinterpretation. I equated "saw off" with saw not running, i.e.
blade not spinning.

The only breaking of skin I've ever had on a floor power tool was on a
bandsaw that wasn't running. I was spinning the wheels by hand after
putting on a new blade to get it tracking properly. Somehow, I got a
finger too close to the blade down near the cutting area and caught a
tooth just as the blade came to a stop.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
link.net...
In the first place I ever worked where I used a table saw, the rule was
that
the first thing that you did after turning off the saw was to crank the
blade down below the table. I still do that now. On the few occasions that
that is not practical, being in the habit of cranking it down forces you
think about that blade being exposed.

I watch the blade come to a complete stop before approaching now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I was taught in 7th grade IA to watch all blades or bits stop, and to
especially never leave a machine until the blade has fully stopped.
The practice, as well as other safety practices drilled into me by
"Mr. Messer", have served me well for 30 years.

I do not remember the specifiv details of what happened but I also was
taught to watch for the blade to stop and to be aware that under floresent
lighting the some tools may appear to be stopped under the right lighting
conditions. Apparently a lapse of good judgement or thought that the blade
had stopped as I had begun the adjusting the fence, I guess I was "only
human" after all. For several months I thought that I'd had a kick back.

That said, if I owned a saw that others used, in a multi-person pro
shop or _especially_ a school or ww'ing club environment, I'd buy a
SawStop today.

I can see a personal injury lawyer making an argument of "The safety
technology is readily available at a reasonable price."

I can see that plus I can see it actually preventing injuries, which would
be the most important reason to buy the saw.

What I think of that statement is meaningless compared to what a
personal injury jury unfamiliar with woodworking might.

Yeah, I suspect the vast majority of people will believe that the SawStop
should be in placed in a multi user setting. Given that thought, it may
actually be a good thing if the government mandates this type of safety
device, to protect the employer from such claims.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
I do not remember the specific details of what happened but I also was
taught to watch for the blade to stop and to be aware that under floresent
lighting the some tools may appear to be stopped under the right lighting
conditions. Apparently a lapse of good judgement or thought that the
blade had stopped as I had begun the adjusting the fence, I guess I was
"only human" after all. For several months I thought that I'd had a kick
back.

It is easy to release the tension of the sphincter muscle as soon as the
power is off. I've found myself reaching into the bandsaw a couple of
times.

Discussions of accidents come up here from time to time and they serve as a
reminder not to become too complacent with our tools. Easy to do. Very
easy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

It is easy to release the tension of the sphincter muscle as soon as the
power is off. I've found myself reaching into the bandsaw a couple of
times.

Precicely, many safety steps become routine and when we are focused on the
job at hand the time it takes for a tool to come to a "complete" stop may
be perceived as shorther than it actually takes.
My cut was rather violent. Have you noticed how smooth a blade cuts through
wood? Yes, my saw blade should have cut through my thumb with ease and
smoothness also. Because the blade had "almost" come to a stop the cut was
not smooth at all. I still recall the violent vibration through my thumb as
the teeth ground through bone. That violent vibration was the primary
reason that I thought for several months that I had had a kick back.
Retuning to the shop from the ER I found all my wood neatly and safely
stacked with no blood.

Discussions of accidents come up here from time to time and they serve as
a reminder not to become too complacent with our tools. Easy to do. Very
easy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I can see a personal injury lawyer making an argument of "The safety
technology is readily available at a reasonable price."

What I think of that statement is meaningless compared to what a
personal injury jury unfamiliar with woodworking might.

Notice that within _hours_ of e. coli being found in the bagged spinach, the
scumbags were advertising "bagged spinach e. coli lawsuits" on Goggle.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:06:10 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I can see a personal injury lawyer making an argument of "The safety
technology is readily available at a reasonable price."

What I think of that statement is meaningless compared to what a
personal injury jury unfamiliar with woodworking might.

Notice that within _hours_ of e. coli being found in the bagged spinach, the
scumbags were advertising "bagged spinach e. coli lawsuits" on Goggle.

Yeah, so disgusting!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I can see a personal injury lawyer making an argument of "The safety
technology is readily available at a reasonable price."

What I think of that statement is meaningless compared to what a
personal injury jury unfamiliar with woodworking might.

Notice that within _hours_ of e. coli being found in the bagged spinach,
the
scumbags were advertising "bagged spinach e. coli lawsuits" on Goggle.

Also known as "Flies", always around and never wanted.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

(snip)

Thanks for responding. It's good to have a substantiated claim by
someone who has made the decision to move in that direction, and I
hope you were not offended by my lack of recognition.

SawStop has been somewhat controversial and I've detected some trolls
in the past when this subject comes up. I suspect that if, the
quantity of table saw injuries that have sometimes been put on this
board without substantiation were true, someone from my organization
would have be in deposition twenty-four hours a day.

The controversy, in my opinion, is not in the area of advancing the
technology which is a good thing, but in getting the UL/CSA standards
boards or the goverment to mandate the technology and force it on
every manufacturer. I'm not in favor of that.

Based on the crowd they drew at IWF this year and years past, they
should be able to promote the technology without the mandate.

Frank

Hi Frank -

No worries...

I really like the saw, and the features.... I, too, don't really like the
legislative approach...and hope it's not successful. If the technology was
public domain, it'd be a different story...

Cheers -

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

(snip)

That's good info, Rob. I particularly note the fact that you will not
be buying one for personal use. Further reinforcing the opinion that
the technology is good in some applications, but should not be forced
on those who don't feel the need.

On a side note; I will be interested to know if your *fire rate*
exceeds that of historical accident rates. In other words will the
safety mechanism result in operators becoming more sloppy.

Hi Joe -

I hope none of them ever fire...

I do use our shop saws here too.... and I don't think having a saw stop will
make people more sloppy... just like with air bags in the car... who wants
to *really* find out how well they work?

Cheers -

Rob