Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Asked a commercial cabinet shop about their SawStop(s)

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I was taught in 7th grade IA to watch all blades or bits stop, and to
especially never leave a machine until the blade has fully stopped.
The practice, as well as other safety practices drilled into me by
"Mr. Messer", have served me well for 30 years.

I do not remember the specifiv details of what happened but I also was
taught to watch for the blade to stop and to be aware that under floresent
lighting the some tools may appear to be stopped under the right lighting
conditions. Apparently a lapse of good judgement or thought that the blade
had stopped as I had begun the adjusting the fence, I guess I was "only
human" after all. For several months I thought that I'd had a kick back.

That said, if I owned a saw that others used, in a multi-person pro
shop or _especially_ a school or ww'ing club environment, I'd buy a
SawStop today.

I can see a personal injury lawyer making an argument of "The safety
technology is readily available at a reasonable price."

I can see that plus I can see it actually preventing injuries, which would
be the most important reason to buy the saw.

What I think of that statement is meaningless compared to what a
personal injury jury unfamiliar with woodworking might.

Yeah, I suspect the vast majority of people will believe that the SawStop
should be in placed in a multi user setting. Given that thought, it may
actually be a good thing if the government mandates this type of safety
device, to protect the employer from such claims.