Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 1 11/16"

Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

We are the only country in the world (except Albania?) that might have this
problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

7/16, 11/16...WHATEVER! What you were making probably didn't need to be
accurate to within 1/4" anyway, right? ;-)

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

Cut it three times and it's still too short?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski (in ) said:

| Tip of the day
|
| When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little
| line before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

That was yesterday's tip! You're a day late and a quarter short!

| You're welcome

No problem - place the two cut edges together and paint with white
out, reverse the DC and saw motors and feed the pieces through
backwards while sprinkling fresh toad dust over the whole thing.

It may help if you intone "rabuf" in a singsong voice throughout the
uncutting.

Hmm. Now I'm welgone...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:03:27 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

What little line? My table saw fence doesn't have any little lines. In fact it
doesn't have any lines at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

Just use cheaper wood, then it won't ever happen.

As an aside, and on the same theme ... today I batch cut all the frame chair
parts for six chairs (about $300 worth of QSWO), you see below without once
using a tape measure or ruler of any type:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Chairparts.JPG

The saws were all setup with "story stick" parts from the prototype chair
saved specifically to use for machine setup so that there would be no
measuring errors in either dimension or angles.

.... the only way I can get around the fact that I am a dummy with a tape
measure more often than not.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

Doh!

Measure twice .... You know the rest!
BTDT

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
news
And how do you know this?

It was a guy that lives on my street.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:32:15 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .
Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

We are the only country in the world (except Albania?) that might have this
problem.

Maybe in terms of fractions, but I suspect an equivalent screw-up can
occur by picking the wrong division between two numbers in any measurement
system being employed.

BTW, I discovered that my my Freud tablesaw blade is capable of milling
soft steel this weekend. Hint: When making shallow cuts using a tennoning
jig, make sure that your tennoning jig has a sacrificial spacer if your
tennoning cut will be less than 1/8" (3.1 mm). I now have a nice 1 1/2"
radius arc on the face plate of mine. It took a moment for me to realize
a) the cut was getting awfully hard and b) I was getting sparks from my 8/4
cherry piece

After the initial, "what the ...?" and questioning my lineage and
intelligence, a quick check of the blade and pieces indicated that, with
the exception of my now 1/4-mooned jig face, all equipment and project
pieces were fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"CW" wrote in message
news
And how do you know this?

It was a guy that lives on my street.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 03:39:36 GMT, "Walt Cheever"
wrote:

Or you could measure 1 1/2" plus three of the little ones.

I thought I was the only one who did that. The only problem is if you
measure one in 32nds and then the next in 16ths...

Another important thing to keep in mind is that the first number you
come across on your ruler ought to be a 1, not a 12. If you start
from the other end 6 plus 3 little ones is actually 6 minus 3 little
ones.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

NEVAR EVAR happened to me. Nope.. it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I always use c-hairs, smidgens and tiches. 14 c-hairs to a tich, 12
tiches to a smidgen..geezz.. thought you knew that. Using that system,
you get to know that 1-11/16 doesn't even exist.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

We are the only country in the world (except Albania?) that might have
this problem.

No kidding.... Don't know how much time I've wasted counting marks to make
sure I was getting the right measurement from the tape ("... okay, half,
fourth, eight, sixteenth... okay, sixteenths... and 3 of them less than
3/4... ")

Maybe I'll just buy a metric tape. But then there's the tablesaw fence....

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

Long story (probably boring) but I spent a good number of years
working in Asia. It kind of pushed me to understand and use metric.
After coming home I never went back to Am Std for most measurements.
As you guys probably know, it is a much more practical system.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Long story (probably boring) but I spent a good number of years
working in Asia. It kind of pushed me to understand and use metric.
After coming home I never went back to Am Std for most measurements.
As you guys probably know, it is a much more practical system.

in 1970 (when the US was supposed to change) if you asked me about the
metric system, I would have told you the rest of the world should change to
our system. Why not, I already know it.

Fast forward to 1990. I go to work for a company that has machines and
tools made in Austria. Gauges read in bars, not pounds. All hardware is in
MM.

Now, ask me the same question. Yes, we should change today. Metric, like
our money system, is just plain easier, can be more accurate and faster to
work with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

in 1970 (when the US was supposed to change) if you asked me about the
metric system, I would have told you the rest of the world should
change to our system. Why not, I already know it.

*snip*

Now, ask me the same question. Yes, we should change today. Metric,
like our money system, is just plain easier, can be more accurate and
faster to work with.

My big request is simply to measure things in American or Metric, and
stick with one system. Don't make me waste time with stupid unit
conversions because you were too lazy to measure from the same side of
the ruler.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Over half of our machine tools (at my place of work) are Japanese. All our
machines are graduated in imperial measure. The only advantage (besides
being like everyone else) of the metric system is that it is easier to
learn. I don't know what you are trying to say with the money reference.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Fast forward to 1990. I go to work for a company that has machines and
tools made in Austria. Gauges read in bars, not pounds. All hardware is

in
MM.

Now, ask me the same question. Yes, we should change today. Metric, like
our money system, is just plain easier, can be more accurate and faster to
work with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line
before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

We are the only country in the world (except Albania?) that might have this
problem.

Some call this a problem, I call it Natural Selection. Only the
smartest and fittest survive to perpetuate beautiful wood
reproductions. And that's a good thing.

:-)

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
I don't know what you are trying to say with the money reference.

CM, MM, Meter. Penny, dime, dollar, ten dollar, hundred . . . . you get
the ideal.

Easier to think in multiples of ten than 32nds and 64ths.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
I don't know what you are trying to say with the money reference.

CM, MM, Meter. Penny, dime, dollar, ten dollar, hundred . . . . you get
the ideal.

Easier to think in multiples of ten than 32nds and 64ths.

Yes, let's fix this weird time thing we use now, too.
60 seconds to a minute, 60 minutes to an hour, then 24 hours to a day
that make varied length months.
Digitalize time and mess up everyone:-)
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Long story (probably boring) but I spent a good number of years
working in Asia. It kind of pushed me to understand and use metric.
After coming home I never went back to Am Std for most measurements.
As you guys probably know, it is a much more practical system.

in 1970 (when the US was supposed to change) if you asked me about the
metric system, I would have told you the rest of the world should
change to our system. Why not, I already know it.

Fast forward to 1990. I go to work for a company that has machines
and tools made in Austria. Gauges read in bars, not pounds. All
hardware is in MM.

Now, ask me the same question. Yes, we should change today. Metric,
like our money system, is just plain easier, can be more accurate and
faster to work with.

The thing about metric(UK has been metric for some years)is you can get
ripped of at the lumber yard when buying wood,for instance...
If you wanted to buy a 4' lenght of any particular wood you have to buy
2metres to get that 4' lenght resulting in whats left as waste.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Long story (probably boring) but I spent a good number of years
working in Asia. It kind of pushed me to understand and use metric.
After coming home I never went back to Am Std for most measurements.
As you guys probably know, it is a much more practical system.

I converted all my tools to British Standard Whitworth...

-jtpr

Posted to rec.woodworking
Par Par is offline

Mark & Juanita :
BTW, I discovered that my my Freud tablesaw blade is capable of milling
soft steel this weekend. Hint: When making shallow cuts using a tennoning

My trailer has a slot cut into one side. It most certainly did not
happen when I was using it as a "workbench" for cutting up some plywood.
BTW, did you know that the stock blade on a DeWalt circle saw can cut
galvanized steel with hardly any trouble? At least mine can...

/Par

--
Par
How do I set my laser printer on stun?
Posted to rec.woodworking
gw gw is offline

"Par" wrote in message
My trailer has a slot cut into one side. It most certainly did not
happen when I was using it as a "workbench" for cutting up some plywood.
BTW, did you know that the stock blade on a DeWalt circle saw can cut
galvanized steel with hardly any trouble? At least mine can...

It does a great job cutting through its own power cord, too. DAMHIKT.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
snip
Now, ask me the same question. Yes, we should change today. Metric,
like our money system, is just plain easier, can be more accurate and
faster to work with.

The thing about metric(UK has been metric for some years)is you can get
ripped of at the lumber yard when buying wood,for instance...
If you wanted to buy a 4' lenght of any particular wood you have to buy
2metres to get that 4' lenght resulting in whats left as waste.

Australia has had the metric system for quite awhile mow. Money changed
from Pounds and Pence to Dollars and Cents in 1966. I still remember all
the adults complaining and winging about getting ripped of and Mum
converting everything back to Pounds to see what the REAL price was. I
was only a young bloke and was more interested in the fancy notes and
coins . After a few years complaints died away. We changed to metric
measurements about 34 years ago. I was doing my apprenticeship at the
time and Trade Calc suddenly became a lot easier. Timber is sold in
lengths of 1.2 = 4' 2.4 = 8' 3.00 = 10' 3.6 = 12' etc. or near enough.
These sizes have now become standards and present no problems.
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I use imperial measurements all day every day. Not a 16th of 64th among
them. Might see a .0625 or a .03125. Most of the engineering professions
quit using common fractions many years ago in favor of decimal fractions.
Far more precise and much easier to work with. The only advantage the metric
system has over this is that the base units are easier to learn. For those
of us that have already learned it, there is no advantage.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
I don't know what you are trying to say with the money reference.

CM, MM, Meter. Penny, dime, dollar, ten dollar, hundred . . . . you get
the ideal.

Easier to think in multiples of ten than 32nds and 64ths.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"gw" wrote in message

"Par" wrote in message
My trailer has a slot cut into one side. It most certainly did not
happen when I was using it as a "workbench" for cutting up some plywood.
BTW, did you know that the stock blade on a DeWalt circle saw can cut
galvanized steel with hardly any trouble? At least mine can...

It does a great job cutting through its own power cord, too. DAMHIKT.

:-) Makita... 8" or whatever the next size up from 7 1/4" is. Brand
new....... first cut..... 14" power cord just that quick. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

: The thing about metric(UK has been metric for some years)is you can get
: ripped of at the lumber yard when buying wood,for instance...
: If you wanted to buy a 4' lenght of any particular wood you have to buy
: 2metres to get that 4' lenght resulting in whats left as waste.

: --
: Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

IIRC, plywood in Europe comes in sheets of 122 x 244 centimeters.
Nice round numbers, those (very close to four by eight feet).

The units in Imperial are more ergonomic than those in metric.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote in news:eei606$c8u$1
@onion.ccit.arizona.edu:

IIRC, plywood in Europe comes in sheets of 122 x 244 centimeters.
Nice round numbers, those (very close to four by eight feet).

The units in Imperial are more ergonomic than those in metric.

-- Andy Barss

That's one of the problems with metric. There's no analogue to the foot.
I look around me, and I see all kinds of things that are a just a few
inches shorter or longer than a foot.

If they had made the centimeter twice as long, then a dekameter (10 cm)
would mean something. Now it's one of those unneeded units that no one
uses.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

That's one of the problems with metric. There's no analogue to the foot.
I look around me, and I see all kinds of things that are a just a few
inches shorter or longer than a foot.

If they had made the centimeter twice as long, then a dekameter (10 cm)
would mean something. Now it's one of those unneeded units that no one
uses.

Puckdropper

I don't think you're looking very carefully. In less than a minute,
I'm able to find 3 common items that are within 1 or 2 cm of a
dekameter: coffee mugs, CD's, business cards.

However, whenever I hear about the "convenience" of a base-10 system,
I'm reminded of the time my mother went to a fabric store in Denmark
(we're American), and asked for 1.5 meters of fabric. The clerk asked
her how much that is in centimeters, because her tape measure was in cm
and she didn't know how to convert!

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"redbelly" wrote in
ups.com:

Puckdropper wrote:

That's one of the problems with metric. There's no analogue to the
foot. I look around me, and I see all kinds of things that are a just
a few inches shorter or longer than a foot.

If they had made the centimeter twice as long, then a dekameter (10
cm) would mean something. Now it's one of those unneeded units that
no one uses.

Puckdropper

I don't think you're looking very carefully. In less than a minute,
I'm able to find 3 common items that are within 1 or 2 cm of a
dekameter: coffee mugs, CD's, business cards.

Let me try to explain the arguement a little better: The dekameter is a
unit that's too small of a difference to mess with. Sure, there's all
kinds of things that's close to a dekameter, but you'd spend too much
time wondering "dekameter" or "centimeter" when eyeball-measuring
something.

However, whenever I hear about the "convenience" of a base-10 system,
I'm reminded of the time my mother went to a fabric store in Denmark
(we're American), and asked for 1.5 meters of fabric. The clerk asked
her how much that is in centimeters, because her tape measure was in
cm and she didn't know how to convert!

The question becomes "Is it 10, 100, or 1000?" I screwed up a Physics
Lab calculation last week and was off by a factor of 10. Luckily, it
didn't screw everything up...

Mark

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

Let me try to explain the arguement a little better: The dekameter is a
unit that's too small of a difference to mess with. Sure, there's all
kinds of things that's close to a dekameter, but you'd spend too much
time wondering "dekameter" or "centimeter" when eyeball-measuring
something.

That sounds plausible. But I don't think people who use the metric
system bother with dekameters very much anyway.

Mark