Posted to rec.woodworking
The3rd Earl Of Derby The3rd Earl Of Derby is offline

Default 1 11/16"

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Long story (probably boring) but I spent a good number of years
working in Asia. It kind of pushed me to understand and use metric.
After coming home I never went back to Am Std for most measurements.
As you guys probably know, it is a much more practical system.

in 1970 (when the US was supposed to change) if you asked me about the
metric system, I would have told you the rest of the world should
change to our system. Why not, I already know it.

Fast forward to 1990. I go to work for a company that has machines
and tools made in Austria. Gauges read in bars, not pounds. All
hardware is in MM.

Now, ask me the same question. Yes, we should change today. Metric,
like our money system, is just plain easier, can be more accurate and
faster to work with.

The thing about metric(UK has been metric for some years)is you can get
ripped of at the lumber yard when buying wood,for instance...
If you wanted to buy a 4' lenght of any particular wood you have to buy
2metres to get that 4' lenght resulting in whats left as waste.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite