Posted to rec.woodworking
redbelly redbelly is offline

Default 1 11/16"

Puckdropper wrote:

That's one of the problems with metric. There's no analogue to the foot.
I look around me, and I see all kinds of things that are a just a few
inches shorter or longer than a foot.

If they had made the centimeter twice as long, then a dekameter (10 cm)
would mean something. Now it's one of those unneeded units that no one
uses.

Puckdropper

I don't think you're looking very carefully. In less than a minute,
I'm able to find 3 common items that are within 1 or 2 cm of a
dekameter: coffee mugs, CD's, business cards.

However, whenever I hear about the "convenience" of a base-10 system,
I'm reminded of the time my mother went to a fabric store in Denmark
(we're American), and asked for 1.5 meters of fabric. The clerk asked
her how much that is in centimeters, because her tape measure was in cm
and she didn't know how to convert!

Mark