Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Default HF Framing Nailer

I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and
don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

Only to your wallet - Buy PC, Senco or Hitachi then if you don't want it any
more, sell it on eBay.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
IBM5081

Look on the PC refurb tool web site - no need to pay new prices for a
brand-name, quality tool. If there is a framing contractor's supply
store available, see if they have some used framing nailers for sale. I
got a moderately used Paslode F350S for $175. Use it all the time.
Dave is right. Name-brand stuff will retain it's value much better than
the generics that are produced for a much lower price point.

Posted to rec.woodworking
cm

Andrew,

We use HF nailers in our remodeling business on a regular basis. We have had
only one gun fail and that was from a laborer putting the wrong size nails
in it.

Craig

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and
don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Truitt

I've had an HF 4041 framing nailer for about 6 months or so. I used it
on a large deck and screened porch and it did fine. I will probably not
use it much but it comes in handy when I need it.

You can use Spotnails and other brand name nails or take some that come
with the gun from HF to a nailgun dealer or Home Depot and they can
match up the angle of the nail.

For occasional use mine has been great.

My only regret is not waiting for the lighter model to go on sale for
$79 and buying it. Mine is a bit heavy at around 10 lbs.

Ron T

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and
don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

Something else to consider for occasional use, a Palm Nailer. It is a bit
slower but takes "any" sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails.

Posted to rec.woodworking
cyrille de Brebisson

hello,

I have one and have driven around 400 nails with it so far. No problems with
it, works fine, $79 on sale + 20% off coupon... was a great deal.

cyrille

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and
don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Muldrew

"Leon" wrote:

Something else to consider for occasional use, a Palm Nailer. It is a bit
slower but takes "any" sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails.

Is it really more convenient than a hammer (which again takes any
sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails)?

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Leon"
Something else to consider for occasional use, a Palm Nailer. It is a bit
slower but takes "any" sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails.

Is it really more convenient than a hammer (which again takes any
sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails)?

Ken Muldrew

Leon is usually right but I've seen him recommend this approach before and
have to disagree. I too have a palm nailer, its a real blessing when I need
to drive a 16d into an area I can't swing a framing hammer. To me, I love
the feeling of "slinging steens" and the hassle of a palm nailer to drive a
bunch of easily reached nails is not worth it.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Wed, 31 May 2006 22:10:18 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

Nope. Some of us are still waiting for the cheap nailer to fail and
they hold up amazingly well. I've got two and have yet to break them
even after moderately hard use.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Ken Muldrew wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

Something else to consider for occasional use, a Palm Nailer. It is a bit
slower but takes "any" sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails.

Is it really more convenient than a hammer (which again takes any
sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails)?

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)

Ever toe nail anything, especially when it has to
be dead on?
Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"Leon" wrote in message
y.net...

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and
don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

Something else to consider for occasional use, a Palm Nailer. It is a bit
slower but takes "any" sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails.

I guess I'm with Ken. Other than the obvious case of a confined space where
a palm nailer is very handy, I can't imagine choosing one over a hammer
where you have good access.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Andrew Barss wrote:
I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

Just got a coupon from HF for their 28 deg framing nailer. Regularly
$190, on sale for $60. Anybody wants, I'll forward the email.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message
(Ken Muldrew) wrote:

"Leon" wrote:

Something else to consider for occasional use, a Palm Nailer. It is a
bit
slower but takes "any" sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails.

Is it really more convenient than a hammer (which again takes any
sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails)?

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)

For the home owner doing the occasional remodeling job, I think a palm
nailer is more useful, and safer, than a framing nailer. I'm
finishing off a portion of our basement for my wifes' stained glass
shop and had looked at framing nailers during the planning stages.
(every project deserves a new tool) I was quickly put off by their
weight, bulkiness, and specialized nails. Even storage would have been
a problem when the project was done. With a palm nailer, the compact
size has let me place nails in places I could not possibly swing a
hammer, and even in places I could not see. Since I use nails
infrequently, my hammering skills are a bit dull, resulting more than
a few bent nails. It is difficult to bend a nail with the palm nailer.
I find it to be faster than a hammer, though certainly slower than a
framing nailer. Most importantly, my palm nailer has a magnet that
holds the nail, freeing up a hand to hold the material being joined,
and guarantees no smashed fingers!

I got all three of them and they all have their places. Just my nickels
worth.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

"Ken Muldrew" wrote in message
Does a palm nailer give you more
speed over a hammer?

Yes.

Does it let you put nails in places where you
can't swing a hammer?

Yes.

I've never used a palm nailer, so I guess I'd
like to hear why one would consider it over a framing nailer (where it
also has some advantages over a hammer).

(1) For less than $100.00, you can buy a top of the line palm nailer. No
compromise.
(2) It will drive any size standard nail.
(3) It will get into places that a framing nailer (or hammer) can't.

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)

Posted to rec.woodworking
AL

I have a refurbished Porter Cable which I really like. The HF is almost
identical except the surface finish is slightly rougher. I just got an
email coupon saying the 94000 model will be on sale for $60 from June 2-4 in
their stores.

Unlike circular saws, angle grinders and right angle drills (where expensive
ones have electric brakes or safety clutches), I don' think an expensive
nail gun is any safer than a cheap one. For nailers, safety all depends on
you.

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and
don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Leon" wrote:

Something else to consider for occasional use, a Palm Nailer. It is a bit
slower but takes "any" sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails.

Is it really more convenient than a hammer (which again takes any
sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails)?

I'd say 4 to 5 times faster driving a nail. Almost as fast as you can push
and you don't get tired. I drives them in the time it takes to take 1 swing
with a hammer, all things being equal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

Leon is usually right but I've seen him recommend this approach before and
have to disagree. I too have a palm nailer, its a real blessing when I
need to drive a 16d into an area I can't swing a framing hammer. To me, I
love the feeling of "slinging steens" and the hassle of a palm nailer to
drive a bunch of easily reached nails is not worth it.

Dave

;~)

I was not recommending a palm nailer over a regular hammer, rather a
Framing Nailer for the "occasional project".
I agree with your statements.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB

Can't speak to the framing nailer but I have heard pretty good stuff about
their smaller guns. I sold a used table saw to a local finish-carpenter
last summer. He had started his business on a shoestring budget a couple of
years before and bought a couple of HF nailers (18 and 15 ga. if I recall).
He said he was a little embarrased to use them in front of other carpenters
until he started noticing others use them. Some even carried them around in
discarded Delta or other brand cases.

His looked like a couple of beat-up stockcars but he said they seldom missed
a lick. Pretty good endorsement for the smaller equipment.

RonB

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and
don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jeepnstein

My Brother-in-Law uses one all the time. I think he said he has four
or five now. He builds houses and does historic restoration on
commercial projects. He was trying to talk me into buying one, too,
but I already have a clipped head PC. HF also has good deals on nails
at their retail outlets. I'll probably buy a new brad nailer from HF
in the fall.

J.

Andrew Barss wrote:
I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Moos

John Thomas wrote:

Someone else posted the SKU - 94000, I think. Looks like it's on sale
for the parking lot sale this weekend?

I went by my local retail brick/mortar HF and picked up this framing
nailer. It was $59.99 plus tax. This was outside on the sidewalk.
It's a 28 degree, clipped head nailer. I also picked up a box of
their 2x1/2 treated nails.

Inside the box of the 94000, is the nailer, an instruction manual, an air hose
chuck, an assortment of hex keys to adjust the various bolts that hold
it together and a small bottle of oil.

After getting it up home, reading through the manual, and then
hooking it up I ran through a clip of nails to see how it worked.
It seemed to drive the nails just fine at about 85 PSI. Looks like
it will be great for the occasional project that involves 2x4s and
the like.

The web has it currently for $89.

Inside the store, there's another framing nailer on sale for $89. I believe
this one nomrally goes for $199 or something. I didn't look at it too
closely. But looks like it's a 21 degree nailer, comes with a molded
plastic case and a few nails.

HF, also has some pretty good deals on inexpensive bar clamps ($2.99)
and right angle clamps ($0.99). I also snagged an angle grinder for
$10.
Posted to rec.woodworking
David Bridgeman

Andrew Barss wrote:
I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

Just got back from HF. Went to get the framing nailer discussed here.
They were out. Manager said they would substitute the other 28degree
nailer (on sale for $90.) for $60. I also had a $5 coupon from another
ad. Bottom line: $55 for model #93760. For my limited uses, I think
it's a good buy.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

"Leon" wrote:

Something else to consider for occasional use, a Palm Nailer. It is a bit
slower but takes "any" sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails.

Is it really more convenient than a hammer (which again takes any
sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails)?

I'd say 4 to 5 times faster driving a nail. Almost as fast as you can push
and you don't get tired. I drives them in the time it takes to take 1 swing
with a hammer, all things being equal.

I like my Estwing nailer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

This puppy drove 12" ring-shank polebarn spikes into "ironwood"
(species unidentifed, but very hard) posts all day when I built a barn
for my dad, and is still pretty, without giving me tennis elbow.

It'll put in a 16d in one good swing- I bet that's at least as fast as
your palm nailer, and doesn't require a compressor.

So for occasional use? This is my vote- a hammer is more versitile,
it doesn't care if you set it in the dirt (even a Paslode doesn't
appreciate that much, then all that time you saved gets lost in
cleaning the gun in the field) and it rides on your belt. Add the
long handle on the Estwing and the ripping claw, and it's thing of
beauty- not only does it drive nails like a champ, but it can demo as
fast as a crowbar and a 3lb maul with a short handle.

And the #1 reason for hand nailing- especially for occasional DIY use,
(at least in my book) is that a hand nail and hammer will pull a frame
together a whole lot better than a gun. The nails are thicker and
have more holding power, and one guy (or two who are not pros) raising
a wall is likely to rack the frame at least a little and put a lot of
stress on the joints. With a nail gun, they just pull loose- with
hand spikes, they've got a lot more gumption.

I know it's a throwback attitude, but I build almost everything with a
hammer, and it is really just as fast as messing with compressors, air
lines, and boxes with goofy nails on coils or strips. Even after
using a nail gun fairly extensively for a while at work, I still
prefer the ring of a nicely struck nail, and happily drive spikes all
day with ol' reliable on my independant projects.

Though I will concede that roofing, trim and pin nailers are worth
their respective weights in gold. Hard to argue that after the first
time I laid hands on each of them.
Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy
higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and
don't
want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to
think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than
a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

I've got an HF full head nailer. Never had a problem with it. I only
have the odd need for it so it just didn't make sense to spend 2x-4x on it.
I can't speak to the safety aspect as this is the first framer I've owned
and nothing safety related has happened.
Cheers,
cc

Picking a framing nailer toolguy Woodworking 20 November 13th 05 09:07 PM
Framing Nailer "Nails" jrs Woodworking 3 February 23rd 05 01:54 AM
framing nailer [email protected] UK diy 1 February 7th 05 09:40 AM
Air Powered Framing Nailer Andy Barron UK diy 9 November 21st 04 11:53 AM